• Show
Clear All
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
    lol, well for someone who agreed that you can't grade a draft class after five games you sure had a lot to say. I mean what the hell do you mean "players who we could have selected"? This draft is what it is and the question wasn't who should we have drafted. You went well beyond what the title even is and then you agreed it isn't even worth judging...lol

Three years is the time frame to judge the whole draft class. You can't even give Te'o a grade because he pretty much missed all of preseason so why try to grade him at all even if he was a second round pick?

IMO this thread is usele
    It's just another excuse for him to rip TT.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

F--

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

This is a fun exercise. When grading, I suggest one also consider where in the draft a player was selected. I have a hard time giving Tourek Williams a D. He is a 6th round pick. Just making the team is successful for a player taken that late. No one should expect him to be starting and leading the team in pressures. Or is it sacks?

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• BoltBalls
          Always keep eye contact!
          • Jun 2013
          • SD!
          • Send PM

We aren't even at the halfway point in the season, so this can't be serious discussion about these draft picks yet but it is interesting. We can see how the grades may change throughout the year and into next year...

Comment

• Yubaking
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
            lol, well for someone who agreed that you can't grade a draft class after five games you sure had a lot to say. I mean what the hell do you mean "players who we could have selected"? This draft is what it is and the question wasn't who should we have drafted. You went well beyond what the title even is and then you agreed it isn't even worth judging...lol

Three years is the time frame to judge the whole draft class. You can't even give Te'o a grade because he pretty much missed all of preseason so why try to grade him at all even if he was a second round pick?

IMO this thread is useless
            As I stated, my marks were the ones I would assign if I were forced issue grades at this point, which I agree is premature.

As for my additional comments about the context in which each player was selected, that is a grading of the drafting and not solely a grading of the player. It does make a difference that we gave up our 2nd and 4th to get Te'o versus only giving up our 2nd to get him. In terms of how well we drafted, it does matter that there was a player at a position of huge gaping hole need (NT) that was rated very highly when we chose Allen, who was also highly rated, but not at a position of huge need at the time we drafted. Also, the draft class was deep in RBs, so why not give one a look in the 6th or 7th round? We need a co-#1 RB more than we need a #3 QB. Similarly, we could have gone with a defensive lineman, where we were very weak. And that matters when grading the draft and not just the player.

I definitely do not think it is going beyond the scope of the thread as the thread itself speaks of grading the draft, which involves the player taken, but also a look at which players we could have taken.
            Last edited by Yubaking; 10-10-2013, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• Yubaking
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
              It's just another excuse for him to rip TT.
              If I were going to rip TT, then why did I acknowledge that Fluker, Allen and Sorenson were all above average players for where in the draft they were taken. I definitely have a problem with your grading process if you fail to account for the fact that it took two picks to get Te'o regardless of how you grade Te'o as a player. I would drop Allen by a full grade because Telesco failed to draft Jenkins, which was a huge mistake. I only suggested that minor, one-third of a grade adjustments be made for T. Williams and Sorenson based upon our failure to draft at positions of depth in the draft or of need for our team in those rounds. I am not really sure how you can ignore the fact that we needed DL depth more than we needed a #3 QB. It as good that Telesco drafted talent, but not as good in light of our overall lack of depth on the defensive side of the ball and at RB.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

As for my additional comments about the context in which each player was selected, that is a grading of the drafting and not solely a grading of the player. It does make a difference that we gave up our 2nd and 4th to get Te'o versus only giving up our 2nd to get him. In terms of how well we drafted, it does matter that there was a player at a position of huge gaping hole need (NT) that was rated very highly when we chose Allen, who was also highly rated, but not at a position of huge need at the time we drafted. Also, the draft class was deep in RBs, so why not give one a look in the 6th or 7th round? We need a co-#1 RB more than we need a #3 QB. Similarly, we could have gone with a defensive lineman, where we were very weak. And that matters when grading the draft and not just the player.
                :killme:

Comment

• sandiego17
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                  :killme:
                  WR was not a position of need, because, as you are well aware, DX and Floyd and Brown have consistently played full seasons plus the team already had Richard Goodman. Makes all the sense in the world to count on those guys. Put the gun down, slowly.

Comment

• sandiego17
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                    I would drop Allen by a full grade because Telesco failed to draft Jenkins, which was a huge mistake.
                    Personally, haven't watched much of the Saints, and zero on Defense. Have you or are you just looking at yards allowed again? Is Jenkins really playing that well? Not looking for a diatribe on the defensive ranking of the Saints, but how specifically Jenkins is playing. Allen, for his part, is playing well at a position of need.

Comment

• SFW
                      PB Official Game Thread Starter
                      • Jul 2013
                      • NY
                      • USMC
                      • Send PM

I don't believe in assigning grades to rookie this early in their rookie season but if I did I would say I didn't and then give out grades anyways. I also don't believe in making a draft grade thread about TT but if I was going to I would make sure I mentioned the players he drafted didn't fill the proper positions of needs, were too slow and that he gave up too much for one of them.

But I'm not going to give out grades or talk about TT.
                      1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                      2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                      3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                      4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                      5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                      6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                      7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SFWfromESPN again.

This is my favorite post ever.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                          3. K. Allen--B, while other rookie WRs have done better, including one UDFA, Allen has been solid.
                          How much did you dock him for being slower than Christmas?

Comment

Working...
                          X