• Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
    Keep Ronnie Brown around for leadership and depth
    I was one of the biggest Ronnie Brown apologists early in his career, but the team needs to cut bait after this season. I would rather keep Mathews and attempt to salvage something there than hold on to an aging RB not named LT.
    Adipose

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
      I was one of the biggest Ronnie Brown apologists early in his career, but the team needs to cut bait after this season. I would rather keep Mathews and attempt to salvage something there than hold on to an aging RB not named LT.
      Disagree. Time to "cut bait" with Muffews. Guy's a waste; total bust. If he's not injured, he's a part-time player...who still has to potential to fumble on every play, and still can't block. Might as well keep a seasoned vet, good clubhouse guy, hard worker, good blocker, and good receiver...despite his age.

Muffews is part of the AJ Failed Draft Era. How long are we going to try and 'salvage' a #12 pick in the draft who is, at best, a part-time player? I say move on.

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Opera singer and web developer.
        • Send PM

Disagree. Time to "cut bait" with Muffews. Guy's a waste; total bust. If he's not injured, he's a part-time player...who still has to potential to fumble on every play, and still can't block. Might as well keep a seasoned vet, good clubhouse guy, hard worker, good blocker, and good receiver...despite his age.

Muffews is part of the AJ Failed Draft Era. How long are we going to try and 'salvage' a #12 pick in the draft who is, at best, a part-time player? I say move on.
        Right, in principle I don't disagree with you. That said, part of going forward is to trim the older players on the decline when there are capable younger players available. Whether or not we retain Mathews, I think Brown goes as part of the youth movement. He has been valuable in the passing game, but Woodhead does everything Brown does and better and is younger. And RBs are not difficult to find.

Mathews will not command big money due to his history. The only real issue with Mathews is that he has a history of fumbling (which I think he is improving on) and fragility. At some point, his injury luck must improve (right?) as they're not chronic type injuries (Beerman, thoughts?), and when healthy he is a punishing back with intriguing skills. He can learn to block (something most backs have to learn and aren't naturally adept at), and he certainly can catch out of the backfield. The day of the full-time 20-30 carry a game back is disappearing as more and more offenses prefer a rotation of versatile backs. I don't see how Mathews couldn't fit in here.

I'm all in favor of adding another 3rd-4th round back into the mix, but I think next season both Mathews and Woodhead but not Brown should be part of the equation.
        Adipose

Comment

• BlazingBolt
          SLAM DUNK!
          • Jun 2013
          • East County San Diego
          • Bolt fanatic
          • Send PM

Drafting in the top 5 is not the only way to get better.

I hope to never pick in the top 5 ever again unless it is a pick acquire through trade.

I will take these 9-7 to 7-9 seasons all day over the 6-10, 4-12, 1-15 type of seasons we used to have all the damn time.
          migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• BoltBalls
            Always keep eye contact!
            • Jun 2013
            • SD!
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
            Drafting in the top 5 is not the only way to get better.

I hope to never pick in the top 5 ever again unless it is a pick acquire through trade.

I will take these 9-7 to 7-9 seasons all day over the 6-10, 4-12, 1-15 type of seasons we used to have all the damn time.
            I agree, winning is always better than losing no matter what IMO. The NFL should consider a top 5 pick lottery soon since it is becoming more and more of interest for teams to gun for the top overall pick when struggling, especially now that there is an effective salary structure in place for rookies.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
              SLAM DUNK!
              • Jun 2013
              • East County San Diego
              • Bolt fanatic
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBalls View Post
              I agree, winning is always better than losing no matter what IMO. The NFL should consider a top 5 pick lottery soon since it is becoming more and more of interest for teams to gun for the top overall pick when struggling, especially now that there is an effective salary structure in place for rookies.
              I am starting to think this way too. It makes sense to try and keep some competitive balance by giving the worst teams higher picks but their is no reason to reward a team for being the absolute worst.

You see something like the Browns Richardson trade and you wonder. Heck, maybe even the Jags are afraid Tebow would win too many games for them. Even something like the Colts losing Manning for an entire season with no backup plan in place just at the perfect time to grab one of the highest rated QB prospects in years.

Maybe just do a tiered lottery. All 8 last place teams in one tier for the top 8 picks, 3rd place teams for picks 9-16, etc. etc.

It just rubs me the wrong way when I hear it and I hear it all the time....when a fan has no hope/their team starts sucking they start talking about hoping to be the worst to get that draft pick. It is just a basic core thing to me: I am a Charger fan, therfore I want the Chargers to win. When you start saying I am a fan and I hope my team loses it's just like that chalk board sound....it just aint right man. it just aint right.
              Last edited by BlazingBolt; 10-11-2013, 01:29 PM.
              migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• thelightningwill
                Go Aztecs and Pads
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                I am starting to think this way too. It makes sense to try and keep some competitive balance by giving the worst teams higher picks but their is no reason to reward a team for being the absolute worst.

You see something like the Browns Richardson trade and you wonder. Heck, maybe even the Jags are afraid Tebow would win too many games for them. Even something like the Colts losing Manning for an entire season with no backup plan in place just at the perfect time to grab one of the highest rated QB prospects in years.

Maybe just do a tiered lottery. All 8 last place teams in one tier for the top 8 picks, 3rd place teams for picks 9-16, etc. etc.

It just rubs me the wrong way when I hear it and I hear it all the time....when a fan has no hope/their team starts sucking they start talking about hoping to be the worst to get that draft pick. It is just a basic core thing to me: I am a Charger fan, therfore I want the Chargers to win. When you start saying I am a fan and I hope my team loses it's just like that chalk board sound....it just aint right man. it just aint right.
                Yes. I always thought it was lame that teams got rewarded for sucking ass. I think they should do what is done in some soccer leagues. If you're the worst team in the league, you should get bumped down to Arena Ball. Then bring up whatever the top Arena Ball team was. That way, the loser teams have something to play for.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                  Yes. I always thought it was lame that teams got rewarded for sucking ass. I think they should do what is done in some soccer leagues. If you're the worst team in the league, you should get bumped down to Arena Ball. Then bring up whatever the top Arena Ball team was. That way, the loser teams have something to play for.
                  Of course you're joking. But, other than the 'lottery' system - not a bad idea - what other solution would be reasonable? The NFL is not at all interested in INCREASING the number of blackouts around the League by seeing games like today's Broncos-Jax matchup on the schedule.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                    Go Aztecs and Pads
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Of course you're joking. But, other than the 'lottery' system - not a bad idea - what other solution would be reasonable? The NFL is not at all interested in INCREASING the number of blackouts around the League by seeing games like today's Broncos-Jax matchup on the schedule.
                    Gamblers will be watching that game. Go Jags.
                    I was only half joking. I'd like to see it happen. I know there is too much money and too many businessmen and government payoffs involved for it to actually happen. No way a city that bribed an owner to keep its team in its hometown will go for that team getting put into a less popular league. No way an owner will continue to pay its players millions if the team is in the Arena League.
                    Somehow it works in Europe though - in leagues that are even more popular there than the NFL is here.

Comment

• blahblahblah
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Send PM

A pass rusher with elite physical tools and that is NFL ready will go in the top 5. You can find great pass rushers throughout the draft, but there's going to be more risk in them. If there was less risk, they'd be gone.

Right now this defense needs a corner stone. A guy that offenses fear and who forces them to game plan. I don't know how the draft class coming in is, but you're more likely to find him earlier. Higher ceiling even when you do hit a home run.

You also have to take into account every other round. With round 2 and 4 coming after a break there are a lot of moves happening at the top of these rounds as teams have time to evaluate what's left.

I'd rather have one bad year than perpetual norviocrity. Those 3 wins at the end of last year were absolutely worthless. They were like pre season wins. I don't want us to lose. But if we're already eliminated...well, what do we get from a win?
                      Last edited by blahblahblah; 10-13-2013, 06:53 PM. Reason: sentense fragments

Comment

• SFW
                        PB Official Game Thread Starter
                        • Jul 2013
                        • NY
                        • USMC
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blahblahblah View Post
                        A pass rusher with elite physical tools and that is NFL ready will go in the top 5. You can find great pass rushers throughout the draft, but there's going to be more risk in them. If there was less risk, they'd be gone.

Right now this defense needs a corner stone. A guy that offenses fear and who forces them to game plan. I don't know how the draft class coming in is, but you're more likely to find him earlier. Higher ceiling even when you do hit a home run.
                        Getting Clowney or Barr would be great to line up on the opposite side of Ingram. Barr even plays in a 3-4 defense in college. A starting LB group of Barr Te'o Butler Ingram could be great.
                        Last edited by SFW; 10-13-2013, 06:41 PM.
                        1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                        2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                        3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                        4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                        5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                        6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                        7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                          Grammar Police
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

We have one, Melvin Ingram. Currently in stealth mode. We will need two IMO. One for the first seven to ten weeks and annother for rest.

Due to the fines and rule changes ahead WR will become like matches. Who wants to pay that much for a dispoable player.
                          Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                          X