• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

After 6 games, Charger defense in middle of the pack

After the first couple games, the Charger defense looked really, really bad statistically. Now that things are settling in a bit and more games have been played, the Bolts are in the middle of the pack in just about every defensive statistic. Yards allowed, points allowed, etc. I still worry about the defense and it is amazing how many key players have gone down, but at least on paper they are not as bad as we thought initially. And the Colts game was a major improvement in third down conversion. I hope Pagano keeps doing what they did against the Colts.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

21 in YPG
    17 in PPG
    18 in Rushing YPG
    25 in Passing YPG

It would be easy to blame the secondary for a lot, but the lack of a pass rush is really the issue, IMO. With the NFL emphasis on passing I'd say edge rushers are a higher priority than a NT. Thats right I said it. A NT is NOT as important today or to this defense than a pass rush. Put that in your pipe and smoke it! :rasta::rasta::rasta:
    sigpic

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

The starters are, for the most part, pretty good when healthy. The backups, um, well...

Our statistical rankings will improve again against Jacksonville but will likely suffer against Washington and especially against Denver. I look forward to being proven wrong.
      Adipose

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Opera singer and web developer.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
        A NT is NOT as important today or to this defense than a pass rush.
        Agreed, but now that Yuba has acknowledged he was wrong on the Martin front I'll let this rest for now. And having an NT who can collapse the middle of the pocket in a 3-4 is a huge help to the edge rushers, as it takes away the QB's ability to step up in the pocket to evade the rush.
        Adipose

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
          Agreed, but now that Yuba has acknowledged he was wrong on the Martin front I'll let this rest for now. And having an NT who can collapse the middle of the pocket in a 3-4 is a huge help to the edge rushers, as it takes away the QB's ability to step up in the pocket to evade the rush.
          Really, you need BOTH. Getting a REAL nose tackle in '14 would be very nice. You get Ingram back, too. And Freeney. (Yuk, yuk).

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Both are needs, but I think the emphasis needs to be on the outside. Ingram will be back and assuming JJ is back, we could really use a third guy to plug in on 3rd downs. I think we obviously need a NT, as well. But I think quality players at that position can be found a little later.

We're still going to need at least one starting OL. And a CB. And a S. So not exactly sure the order you target the positions.

I'd probably rank the needs like this:

1. Pass Rusher
            2. CB
            3. OL (thinking C)
            4. NT
            5. S

Of course, one question that needs to be answered is whether we intend to continue with the 3-4. I am guessing we are. But I suppose that's open to question. And really, we need to get better at RB, too. FA probably has to be part of the equation at RB, NT and S.

Comment

• GreenBayCharger
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

all about mismatches, to face some teams is harder then other. But we still need players, have to keep upgrading players. BOTH the draft and free agents

Comment

• Yubaking
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

First, the defense is improving and I like Pagano's approach of being more aggressive in his play calling. The game against the Colts was our best defensive effort of the year and if we can build on that, we should end up improving as the season progresses. That's the positive.

The negative is that our total yardage stats are in significant part a product of the fact that we are 4th in time of possession on offense (32:36 per game). As a result, we have had the second fewest average number of plays run against us (60 per game), which makes the above cited total yardage statistics artificially low. We are 29th in YPC against, 28th in YPA against, and dead last #32 in average yards per play against. We are also very weak at generating turnovers, part of which I think comes from our CBs not doing a good job of looking for the ball.

From years of observation, it seems that the best 3-4 defenses over the years have all had very good NTs, which I why I believe in their importance. First, teams still run about 40% (estimated) of the time in the NFL. A good NT makes those 40% of plays comparatively ineffective. This helps to create more favorable down and distance situations, which helps the pass defense. And also, there is the point made by Panama that by collapsing the pocket, the QB has nowhere to step up, which further helps the pass rush.

With all of that said, going forward, I would still take the BPA for the defense in general. Based upon how we are playing and what I have seen as a tendency of DTs/NTs to drop just a little from they are projected in recent years, it wouldn't surprise me if Nix were among a handful of players that could be the BPA at that spot in the draft. In a situation like that, where Nix could be the BPA, but so could some other players, I would hope that we would take Nix.

I completely agree with the discussion above that suggests that we need to get some help at at CB, SS, OLB, along the OL and at RB as well. Of those positions, I would say that we need immediate starting help at CB and SS and may need immediate starting help at OLB and along the OL depending upon whether or not we have any salary cap casualties there.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

I think we need to fill ONE of our big needs (RB, NT, CB, OLB, etc) via a FIRST TIER free agent next season. Then we can concentrate on the Draft for (hopefully) a couple more starters. I'll be disappointed if we go with the Fozzy-Ohrnsburger-Starks Plan again. And even though Cox was a fairly big money signing, he was an injury risk, which is perhaps there didn't seem to be much other interest in him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that by 'First Tier', I don't mean a guy that has some obvious risks COMING IN. I mean a guy who is coveted by a few teams, whom we aggressively pursue, and sign. Just ONE guy like that; in a position of need. Don't care where. That doesn't seem like too much to ask/expect.

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                    I think we need to fill ONE of our big needs (RB, NT, CB, OLB, etc) via a FIRST TIER free agent next season. Then we can concentrate on the Draft for (hopefully) a couple more starters. I'll be disappointed if we go with the Fozzy-Ohrnsburger-Starks Plan again. And even though Cox was a fairly big money signing, he was an injury risk, which is perhaps there didn't seem to be much other interest in him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that by 'First Tier', I don't mean a guy that has some obvious risks COMING IN. I mean a guy who is coveted by a few teams, whom we aggressively pursue, and sign. Just ONE guy like that; in a position of need. Don't care where. That doesn't seem like too much to ask/expect.
                    I hate "cap" talk, but it does have to be considered. Will we have the cap space to bring in a 1st tier FA next year or should we put it off for the next? Maybe next year we wait and see how the season begins to unfold then make a trade before the deadline?
                    sigpic

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                      I hate "cap" talk, but it does have to be considered. Will we have the cap space to bring in a 1st tier FA next year or should we put it off for the next? Maybe next year we wait and see how the season begins to unfold then make a trade before the deadline?
                      Yeah, I hate cap talk too. So much so that I keep ignoring it for 2014. LOL! It may be, as you suggest, that we just won't have the $$$$ to dump on a John Tate (for example) and will have to bide our time until the following off-season. Maybe, hopefully, we can re-sign/re-structure a couple of vets next year to free up even more space. Perhaps that is part of the plan. No quick fixes!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

With the offense playing the TOP game I'd expect the yards per game to be down. I think it says more about the offenses ability to sustain long drives than it does the defense being a middle of the pack defense.
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                        X