• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OhioBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Mike McCoy rips Matthews

Lost in the joy of our victory on Monday was durning the last minutes of the game Matthews breaks a run to the outside for a nice pick up and went out of bounds instead of just sliding inbound and keeping the clock running. Coach McCoy ripped into Matthews, but what I found interesting was after we got the FG, going up 19-9, the Colts then on offense threw an interception, we get the ball back to close the game it was all runs by Matthews.

Under Norv, Matthews is on the bench, I think Coach McCoy knows Matthews is going to be key for us in being able to control the ball in the season run to make the playoffs, getting into shootouts week in and weekout is not a good thing. I think if we can be a team that pounds the ball and run effectively we seem to have some physicallity we haven't had in years pass, Fluker, Troutman and Clary are imposing their will that is the reciepe for sucess, look at Pittsburgh it wasn't they were and electrify offense they pound the ball in there playoff, superbowl years, the New York Giants same thing, granted both teams defense where solid. The more we can control the ball, the better our play action will be, and we keep our defense rested which is key being they aren't that good.
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I like the way McCoy comports himself. The first thing he does, and then repeats later, after each victory is give credit to his assistant coaches. He never takes the credit himself. After a loss he does not blame others. After a mistake, he says, publicly at least, that mistakes will happen and he will make them too. And I bet he DOES rip players privately who make stupid mistakes. This is what I think makes a good leader and it is what I have wanted in our HC for a while now. Very happy so far with McCoy.

Tg
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

McCoy rippe him in the media for going out of bounds
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Pinhead logo:
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

I mean he ripped him openly on the sideline. Looked like he was running down the sideline yelling at him to stay in bounds. It was never going to be a private matter, nor should it have been. That could of cost us the game.

Comment

• Lightnin'
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

High School.
            NCAA.
            Four Years of NFL Football.

Surely Ryan Mathews knew that when playing with a small lead, late in the game-it's the ball carriers responsibility to
            keep the clock running by 1) gaining enough yards to get a first down or-failing that; 2) maintain possession of the football
            in bounds to keep from arresting the clock.

But-know it or not, Mathews played like the Chargers were behind or that they were setting up for a longer field goal than
            they eventually were forced to go for, thereby permitting additional time for Indianapolis to score and potentially take the
            game into overtime.

What was he thinking ?

He wasn't...
            San Diego Chargers

1961-2017

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              I mean he ripped him openly on the sideline. Looked like he was running down the sideline yelling at him to stay in bounds. It was never going to be a private matter, nor should it have been. That could of cost us the game.
              Mathews deserves to be openly critisized for that error. It was such a boneheaded move. I wouldn't be surprised if it was said in the huddle before the play "stay in bounds".
              sigpic

Comment

• Heatmiser
                BetterToday ThanYesterday
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

In the presser I listened to, McCoy hardly ripped Mathews. As I recall, he did say it was not a good move, have to understand situational football, the 'player' could have cost them the game, etc. But he didn't say Mathews would be benched, rant and rave, etc. He didn't call Mathews names or over react. He didn't act like Parcells or Ditka or Coughlin. I guess we all have our definitions of ripped.

Unfortunately, I think we are all seeing that intelligence might not be one of Mathews' strong points. Not ripping him, just stating the obvious.

OIP, two Christmases ago, my wife bought me a case of Sriracha. I use it on everything and sometimes our local stores did not have it.

TG
                Last edited by Heatmiser; 10-18-2013, 04:41 AM.
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Sun Valley, ID
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Unfortunately, I think we are all seeing that intelligence might not be one of Mathews' strong points. Not ripping him, just stating the obvious.

TG
                  I think concentration and focus might be issues as well and those can be worked on. They might even be reasons for some of his fumbles. I only caught the last 5 minutes of the game Monday night in the Salt Lake Airport and during a timeout they showed Hardwick with his hands on Mathews' shoulders, right in his face getting his attention. I think the coaches and his teammates know they have to keep him focused. It's worth it though because he's definitely a talented ball carrier.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

#1 I like how McCoy handled him, putting him back in the game was big too, because it showed some confidence in him, and I really feel this is what Mathews lacks, more than anything.

#2 I think vs Oakland, when Mathews got concussed, and we were without him...McCoy realized how much we need him. Yes, Woody and Brown can and should play at times, but we are going to need to have Mathews to have a running game.
                    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I'm done with Ryan Mathews.

He's only a means to an end for us right now. He plays a role. We need to keep him in that role until we can trade up. Right now, I think the staff is doing a great job of limiting him to usage that plays to his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. This is what McCoy promised for the team overall, and this is a great example. Unfortunately, you just can't count on Ryan Mathews in big situations.

I didn't follow the kid in college but I didn't like the trade up for him or picking him. I felt we really needed to go with a defender esp if we were going to trade up. I really liked Earl Thomas that year and when we moved up, I thought that's who we were going after. But I think Pierre-Paul was also in that draft and if we'd wanted to go OL then (nutty, huh?) Pouncey and Iupati were there. But the thing that confounds me about the pick is that while there is no question about the kid's talent or potential, he has some real make-up questions. And as you go back and look at AJ Smith's tenure, there are a surprising number of questionable make-up guys. AJ supposedly valued make-up more than athleticism, but there were a number of examples where he went against that characterization (Matthews, Buster, Merriman, Cromartie, VJ, etc).

But anyway, for me, he's just a role player until we can move on.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • SoDak
                        • Technology Director
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                        I'm done with Ryan Mathews.

He's only a means to an end for us right now. He plays a role. We need to keep him in that role until we can trade up. Right now, I think the staff is doing a great job of limiting him to usage that plays to his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. This is what McCoy promised for the team overall, and this is a great example. Unfortunately, you just can't count on Ryan Mathews in big situations.

I didn't follow the kid in college but I didn't like the trade up for him or picking him. I felt we really needed to go with a defender esp if we were going to trade up. I really liked Earl Thomas that year and when we moved up, I thought that's who we were going after. But I think Pierre-Paul was also in that draft and if we'd wanted to go OL then (nutty, huh?) Pouncey and Iupati were there. But the thing that confounds me about the pick is that while there is no question about the kid's talent or potential, he has some real make-up questions. And as you go back and look at AJ Smith's tenure, there are a surprising number of questionable make-up guys. AJ supposedly valued make-up more than athleticism, but there were a number of examples where he went against that characterization (Matthews, Buster, Merriman, Cromartie, VJ, etc).

But anyway, for me, he's just a role player until we can move on.
                        I wanted the big NT, Dan Williams, that the Cardinals took at pick 26.

He's been just average. So, what I'm saying is I don't know jack about the draft.
                        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                        X