• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
    If you define clutch to mean better third down efficiency only, then I would have to agree. This year's defense is better in the one stat called third down efficiency, the significance of which posters on this board overvalue. However, they are giving up more first downs per game and more total yards per game despite having less plays run against them. That, of course, means they are getting gashed on first and second down so badly that it more than overshadows any improvement on third downs.

If you define clutch to mean that they make big plays to prevent late comeback wins by our opponents, then I would say that the defense is not clutch. We allowed HOU to beat us late and TEN to beat us late--very not clutch.
    Beauty like value is found in the eye of the beholder, why should any of us except your valuations over our own? You are trying to herd opinions and thus are doomed to fail. This defence is more clutch and not just on third down.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• mercm3
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

If you define clutch to mean better third down efficiency only, then I would have to agree. This year's defense is better in the one stat called third down efficiency, the significance of which posters on this board overvalue. However, they are giving up more first downs per game and more total yards per game despite having less plays run against them. That, of course, means they are getting gashed on first and second down so badly that it more than overshadows any improvement on third downs.

If you define clutch to mean that they make big plays to prevent late comeback wins by our opponents, then I would say that the defense is not clutch. We allowed HOU to beat us late and TEN to beat us late--very not clutch.
      comparatively speaking

2012 defense gave up 316 first downs about 19.75 first downs a game
      2013 defense after 7 games has given up 139 first downs 19.857 first downs a game

2012 defensive 3rd down% 42.1
      2013 defensive 3rd down% 36.3

2012 21.9 defensive ppg
      2013 20.6 defensive ppg

after looking at the numbers neither defense seems to really stand out as better then the other, those stats are from ESPN.

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Opera singer and web developer.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
        the defense will need to carry the team for the next 2-3 years so we should be investing all our draft picks on defense- or we will be in the running for the top draft pick. And Pagano sucks and needs to be replaced by Rivera immediately and we need to switch to the 4-3 ASAP because we don't have a dominant NT or any edge rushers to get sacks.
        I'm sorry, I don't understand sarcasm. :mcnugget:
        Adipose

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
          I think I'm just going to use this gif everytime Yuba brings up stats from now on.
          Does anyone know how cheerleader cup-size-to-waist-circumference ratio correlates to defensive performance? I'd like to crunch those numbers. There must be an appropriate smiley for this, no?
          Adipose

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
            The Colts scored 39 points on the broncos.

They scored 9 on the chargers.

Spin Away!
            Bolts were their trap game. And I believe that.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Send PM

But regarding our defense, 2013 new has not performed as well as 2012 old.
              That's right, they've yet to give up a first down on 4th-and-29 or to blow several double-digit leads with half a quarter to go in the game.

Finally, Phillips is picking up nearly a sack a game. That's very good production for anyone. So the Phillips is crap rap has effectively taken a dirt nap. Claiming that he is a problem in the locker room is another way of saying that our coaches, players and management are a bunch of pussies that can't handle him. Denver hasn't disciplined Phillips to my knowledge or expressed a problem with him, so it seems like the problem is more with our people than it is with him since another team is getting their money's worth out of him.
              ity:
              Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Send PM

I am glad Gilchrist has improved his play. Unfortunately, it had nowhere to go, but up. He is still a weakness on the defensive side of the ball and I think SS is still a position need unless Taylor shows us something.
                If you think he's a weakness on defense, imagine him on offense! And you think Ohrenberger is bad!

Gilchrist is not a good safety, at least not yet. But he's a decent nickle back and I believe he's just keeping the seat warm for Taylor.

I think Taylor has already showed us something. Only thing remaining to see is whether he returns to form after his injury. I like that the team is bringing him back slowly so as not to risk further injury.
                Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Send PM

How are Wright and Cox performing better than Cason and Jammer?
                  By virtue of being active and on the field. If Wright and Cox are playing, they are at least performing, even if you think it's poorly. You can't perform if you're riding pine. I assume you give Wright and Cox 1 out of 5 stars instead of the 3 out of 5 I might give them. The still is a better performance than the 0 (or incomplete) out of 5 for not performing at all.
                  Adipose

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

" Claiming that he is a problem in the locker room is another way of saying that our coaches, players and management are a bunch of pussies that can't handle him."

Pure speculation and insinuation on your part. Please withdraw.
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Panama
                      パナマ
                      • Aug 2013
                      • London
                      • Send PM

I said Phillips would make our defense better this year. He would and it's obvious to the point that you lose credibility by trying to find a way around that inevitable conclusion. Just accept that you were wrong about Phillips not being able to help our defense this year. All I ever said was that the guy could help us for 1-2 years while we found and trained his replacement.
                      Last edited by Panama; 10-22-2013, 04:25 PM.
                      Adipose

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                        If you think he's a weakness on defense, imagine him on offense! And you think Ohrenberger is bad!

Gilchrist is not a good safety, at least not yet. But he's a decent nickle back and I believe he's just keeping the seat warm for Taylor.

I think Taylor has already showed us something. Only thing remaining to see is whether he returns to form after his injury. I like that the team is bringing him back slowly so as not to risk further injury.
                        Pagano was on the radio today and he made it seem that he's just 3rd on the depth chart and hasn't been able to beat out the guys in front of him. He's been running full speed on the scout team.

Comment

• Panama
                          パナマ
                          • Aug 2013
                          • London
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                          Pagano was on the radio today and he made it seem that he's just 3rd on the depth chart and hasn't been able to beat out the guys in front of him. He's been running full speed on the scout team.
                          I guess I could be wrong. Or maybe the injury has damaged him long-term. I was under the impression the team was high on Taylor.
                          Adipose

Comment

Working...
                          X