• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonio's Gates
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

2014 Draft Strategy changing?

with the way joe d has been able to plug basically anyone in and have success, does it make it less likely that the bolts will target a LT in the first round next year? remember, before the season started it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that a tackle would be the biggest need next offseason. I'm not sure, even with the success. Pass rush might have jumped to the forefront though.
  • Wheels
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • San Diego
    • Send PM

To me, the players available at our pick would ultimately decide it. But I have to say, with Reyes and Liuget collapsing the pocket much better now, some speed on the edge would be extremely beneficial for this defense and secondary.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

If King Dunlap had played the entire season without a career limiting injury like concussions, that would have loosened the need for an anchor OLT going forward. If he does come back to form, the Chargers would be in the bottom third of the draft, where quality, start-ready OLTs rarely exist. If he doesn't, the Chargers will probably draft in the middle, where there is a small chance of finding a starting OLT. Chargers do need a pass rusher to replace English, who may get dumped, if not for performance, but to just move forward to match what ever philosophy they take with the D.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

I've said all along get the best player you can... except for maybe quarterback.

That's it.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Here's a stud OLB that may be there for the Bolts. Of course that means he'll go top 10 if the bolts are interested.

Buffalo LB Khalil Mack has a head-turning day against Buckeyes

By Mike Huguenin
          College Football 24/7 writer
          Published: Aug. 31, 2013 at 05:36 p.m.
          Updated: Sept. 1, 2013 at 06:43 p.m.
          132 Likes | 13 Comments

Email
          Print

Read
          Discuss

Bill Wippert/Associated Press
          Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack strengthened his draft stock in the season opener against Ohio State.

If there were any college football fans that didn't know about Buffalo senior linebacker Khalil Mack before Saturday's game against Ohio State, they sure know about him now.

While the Buckeyes blasted Mack's Bulls 40-20, Mack might have been the best player on the field in Columbus, Ohio. It was not that much of a surprise -- heading into the season, there was talk of NFL teams eyeing him as a potential 2014 first-round pick. He led Buffalo on Saturday with 9.5 tackles and made 2.5 sacks and an interception, which he returned 45 yards for a touchdown midway through the second quarter. Buffalo finished with four sacks and nine tackles for loss against a Buckeyes team that was returning four starting offensive linemen.

NFL.com draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah Tweeted during the game about the reaction he was seeing from NFL evaluators.

Mack (6 feet 3, 251 pounds) now has 58.5 tackles for loss in his career; he is 16.5 shy of setting the NCAA career record for tackles for loss.

Mack will get a chance to show off against another major opponent next Saturday at Baylor. In eight career games against "Big Six" conference competition, Mack now has 5.5 sacks and 12 tackles for loss.

In March, while weighing in at 245 pounds, Mack was clocked at 4.65 seconds in the 40 by NFL scouts.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• OhioBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
            I've said all along get the best player you can... except for maybe quarterback.

That's it.
            Ditto That, we are straight at QB, and the other two position would shouldn't have a high pick spent on would be TE and WR with Green's development, and hopefully one or both Floyd and DX return.

So hard to miss on the 1st round pick if you take the best available and if it happens to be TE or WR you can possible trade the pick for more picks. Every position on Defense can be a possible 1st rounder, you can never have enough pass rushers and CB's who can cover. On offense OT could be a possible 1st. Again can't go wrong with lack of overall depth we have currently going with best player available.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

BPA among OL, NT, pass rush.

Comment

• SFW
                PB Official Game Thread Starter
                • Jul 2013
                • NY
                • USMC
                • Send PM

That's it.
                This.
                1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• sandiego17
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

That's it.
                  Yes (with more emphasis on no to a QB).

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                    Here's a stud OLB that may be there for the Bolts. Of course that means he'll go top 10 if the bolts are interested.
                    I love Mack. The most impressive part of that int against OSU was the fact he outran Braxton Miller to score.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

if we're picking in the middle of the first round like I predict, mack could be available. same with a tackle like antonio richardson, who probably won't go ahead of guys like matthews, lewan and cyrus from alabama. I could even see him sliding to the second.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                        I love Mack. The most impressive part of that int against OSU was the fact he outran Braxton Miller to score.
                        Damn, you're on top of your game.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X