• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonio's Gates
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
    You dont see a lot of first round pass rush talent coming from teams that exclusively run a 34. Barr and Mack are both perfect fits for this defense for this reason. Ansah and Jones last year were really the only ones of note. But this year the defensive talent in the first round has quite a few 34 guys.

Barr..Mack..Mosely...Nix...Tuitt...Clinton Dix...Van Noy...Murphy and Breslin are all 34 defensive first round prospects. Almost 1/3 or the first round could be 34 defensive players. Not sure thats ever happened or even came close.

5 of those guys are 34 OLBs.
    the safety? how is a safety a "3-4 prospect"?

van noy looks like vincent jackson playing DE

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

All depends on Dunlap and how he returns to action. Our guard situation with Rhino, Trout, Clary isn't bad with our scrubs coming in doing ok. I do think our OT could use another decent talent to add to the mix as its inevitable guys go down. If Dunlap is ok then i'd say a 3rd/4th pick on an OT...if he's not ok i'd look at 1 or 2.

Defense is the biggest need. Guys to get the QB. A true dominating NT type. Build that DL up with talent. Probably another LB. Getting Freeney and Ingram back certainly improves our pass rush but injuries tell me we need another good body in there to rotate in.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Not sure that much has changed. We still need players on both lines and some pass rushing help at OLB. Safety is still a concern and maybe even WR, depending on Floyd and DX.

Comment

• MakoShark
          Disgruntled
          • Jun 2013
          • North Alabama
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          Not sure that much has changed. We still need players on both lines and some pass rushing help at OLB. Safety is still a concern and maybe even WR, depending on Floyd and DX.
          In light of Dunlop's recent injuries, I totally agree. We need more beef! (or pork chops for those that prefer)
          sigpic

Comment

• KNSD
            Registered Charger Hater
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Strategy changing quite a bit. I think they just resigned themselves to the fact that Clowney won't be available. The scouts are now working overtime to catch up on their 1st round draft board.
            Prediction:
            Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
            Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
            Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

If I was GM, my target would be pass rush. the change in offensive philosophy lessens the immediate need at OLT. I would be ok with a mid round pick to groom and develop. No guarantee the board falls in our favor, but OLB would be the top of my wish list.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                If I was GM, my target would be pass rush. the change in offensive philosophy lessens the immediate need at OLT. I would be ok with a mid round pick to groom and develop. No guarantee the board falls in our favor, but OLB would be the top of my wish list.
                OLB has to be considerd Jarret Johnson will be 33 going into next season, we just don't know what we will be getting from Ingram coming off the injury, but expectations were high prior to the injury, hopefully he can be the beast we think he can be. Larry English I don't see him being here next year, will Freeney be a cap cut?. That leaves us with Tourek Williams, and Thomas Keiser as the OLB's.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Sun Valley, ID
                  • Send PM

I would love to see Becton get more reps and coaching so we can see what we have there. And if Dunlap is okay that's a huge plus. I'm a BPA draft person too and I believe in sticking to your board. That said, Hardwick isn't getting any younger and at some point his replacement is going to need to be brought in. I don't think you address the center position in Round 1, but I would certainly be keeping my eyes open in Rounds 2 or 3.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

Pass Rusher, Offensive Tackle, Cornerback, Running Back, Wide Receiver, maybe even ILB if Butler has ridonkulous contract demands.

You could talk me into a Nose Tackle as well.

Get the best player out there... even if it's an offensive Guard.
                    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• OhioBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I think everybody on the board agrees that Best Player Available and each time someone mentions a valid point on a different position.

I am confident in this staff based on their first draft, All the picks made or were going to make the team (Steve Willams DB IR). All the picks have seen action in the regular season except (Sorenson QB).

With TT we can say goodbye to the days of reaching on 1st round picks,
                      Craig Buster Davis 2007
                      Antonie Cason 2008
                      Larry English 2009,

Goodbye to trading 2nd round picks or blowing picks 2nd & 3rd round, 3rd Jacob Hester 2008, 2nd (50 overall) Marcus Gilchrist , 2nd (61 overall) Jonas Mouton both in 2011. In 2011 players that we could of drafted instead Torrey Smith WR 59th to Baltimore or Randall Cobb WR 64th to Green Bay.

Round 1 has to be an impact starter, round 2-3 have to be key contributors.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Sorry. I disagree. I also think if you read back to what TT said before this years draft, that they value certain positions over others due to the cap. Hence, I do not think, with that philosophy, that they consider OG, RB, and likely not WR with a first rd pick in this years draft. OLB, CB, S or NT are much more likely. I think they look at 2 of those 4 positions to fill in the first two rounds. This year the draft seems to be a little weak at CB.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

I really wanted Torrey Smith that year. Still hate not having him.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X