Chargers Defense

Team, YPG, PPG
    San Diego, 28, 11
    Houston, 1, 27
    Denver, 24, 25

Discuss.
    Prediction:
    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Don't really care about stats. They are really bad. And the DC is doing them no favors
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• OhioBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Chargers Defense

Is this a valid thread?

What Defense?

What are we talking about?

We talking about Defense?

We talking about Defense?

This is like Allen Iverson we talking about practice, not the game, we talking about practice!

We are talking about Defense, are we talking about the ones that we rarely see defend!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

What do the Chargers Defence Ryan Mathews and Manti's Te'o's girlfriend have in common?
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• OhioBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
          What do the Chargers Defence Ryan Mathews and Manti's Te'o's girlfriend have in common?
          Good one

What Defense -rarely seen a like a UFO

What 24; what you want me to do with him on the goal line- Like a rainbow when you see you get a little excited because you don't see them often

What girlfriend- never seen

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

The defense is far from perfect, but I give them credit for making back to back stops in the 4th qtr that even allowed us to tie the game. I don't know what people expect from defenses this day and age. You just can't stop offenses every time down the field with the way the rules are.

This loss, just like a few other losses, was on the offense's inability to execute down the stretch and finish off the game. In the NFL nowadays, it's generally the team that has the last possession that wins the game. We should have won this game.

It would be a different story if we had punched it in because people would be commenting on the fact that the D had two critical stops in the 4th qtr to give us a chance (not to mention scored a TD).

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I was poking fun at the ddefence earlier, but IMO the scheme is allowing some limited success. It is apparent we are lacking tallent, however the PPG stats points to the semi successfull bend but don't break stratagy we are mixing in with our creative blitz packages.

I like that we have some success holding teams to three's after letting them go 70 yards on us. I do not like our run D between the twenties at all...

With an infussion of tallent as a few starting positions and some depth we will be much improved next year IMO.
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                I was poking fun at the ddefence earlier, but IMO the scheme is allowing some limited success. It is apparent we are lacking tallent, however the PPG stats points to the semi successfull bend but don't break stratagy we are mixing in with our creative blitz packages.

I like that we have some success holding teams to three's after letting them go 70 yards on us. I do not like our run D between the twenties at all...

With an infussion of tallent as a few starting positions and some depth we will be much improved next year IMO.
                Very well put. I just don't think we have been that bad considering all the issues we've had. I mean seriously we have ZERO pass rushers. NONE. ZILCH. NADA. RG3 had years back there when we were sending 4 man rushes. He burned us when we blitzed. Some on FANTASTIC throws mind you. Most of the time the coverage was there but the pass was perfectly placed. Given all that, we still should have won it at the end. It was there for the taking ON THE ROAD, in a 10 am game.

Some of you guys just have ridiculous expectations of what this defense should be doing. We have a ton of holes, that were ALL APPARENT in the offseason. Throughout all that we have ranked as the 11th best scoring defense, which is really all that fucking matters.

The biggest issue IMO was that Cox has severely underperformed. He was supposed to be our shutdown guy so we could rotate coverage to the other side of the field. He has simply been brutal. It's getting old with all the blown FA contracts we've had in recent memories.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                  The defense is far from perfect, but I give them credit for making back to back stops in the 4th qtr that even allowed us to tie the game. I don't know what people expect from defenses this day and age. You just can't stop offenses every time down the field with the way the rules are.

This loss, just like a few other losses, was on the offense's inability to execute down the stretch and finish off the game. In the NFL nowadays, it's generally the team that has the last possession that wins the game. We should have won this game.

It would be a different story if we had punched it in because people would be commenting on the fact that the D had two critical stops in the 4th qtr to give us a chance (not to mention scored a TD).
                  Perhaps the complete dynamic of the game would have been different if the defense could have taken away one dimension of their offense. They gashed us with the run. Take that away and maybe you make a few more stops and a little more quickly. They had long drives.

Comment

• SFW
                    PB Official Game Thread Starter
                    • Jul 2013
                    • NY
                    • USMC
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post

The biggest issue IMO was that Cox has severely underperformed. He was supposed to be our shutdown guy so we could rotate coverage to the other side of the field. He has simply been brutal. It's getting old with all the blown FA contracts we've had in recent memories.
                    To me Cox is only third biggest disappointment on defense this year. #1 goes to Butler and #2 is Weddle. Even when healthy this year Butler's play seems to have regressed (he didn't take step forward) and Weddle just looks like a slightly above average safety out there. No where near the superstar he was and is being paid to be.
                    1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                    2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                    3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                    4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                    5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                    6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                    7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• TorchedbyRivers
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I've seen some pretty awful Chargers defenses on third and long, but the last two years has been horrible. Anytime it's 3rd and long the team can't get a stop. Made RG three look like a hall of famer yesterday on third down.

Draft a pass rushing linebacker in the first and third rounds. Cornerback in the second and a running back in the 4th. I thought offensive line was the biggest need but this pass rush is horrible. Even with Ingram you need two more pass rushers since we have nobody right now and Ingram is a question mark to come back as strong.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

I'll actually give credit to RG3 on 3rd down yesterday. He made 3 fantastic throws with the blitz coming and threw strikes even when the guy was covered. His play where he jumped to get the 1st down was just sick. Sometimes you do have to give the other team credit on some plays.

Then there were the other half of the third down plays when he had years to sit in the pocket and just go through his progressions eventually getting to an open WR. Those are the most frustrating. We have a weak secondary to begin with and he had soooooo much time to throw.

Comment

Working...
                        X