• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    Geez. Second in the history of the team in sacks and says nothing negative about the team who cut him and still gets hate on here.
    Maybe some people don't like it when a player tells them to shut their mouths.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

I think that is bullshit. He did make a lot of plays for us and isn't that a player's job - to make plays? And when it comes to his statement about making a lot of friends when you take it in the context of the article which talks about he and Rivers I think he is talking about guys he played with and for. God, he didn't do an LT a diss the team regularly after he was no longer wanted.
      And the only reason you are NOW a staunch defender of Phillips is because you're anti-Telesco, and Telesco is the guy who cut Phillips' blubbery ass. Unless you can find me some posts of yours, pre-Telesco, that refute that opinion of mine, of course.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
        And the only reason you are NOW a staunch defender of Phillips is because you're anti-Telesco, and Telesco is the guy who cut Phillips' blubbery ass. Unless you can find me some posts of yours, pre-Telesco, that refute that opinion of mine, of course.
        Tommy T didn't cut Phillips
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Opera singer and web developer.
          • Send PM

I think that is bullshit. He did make a lot of plays for us and isn't that a player's job - to make plays? And when it comes to his statement about making a lot of friends when you take it in the context of the article which talks about he and Rivers I think he is talking about guys he played with and for. God, he didn't do an LT a diss the team regularly after he was no longer wanted.
          You know, your support of SP is so extreme I probably seem like a SP hater to you, despite the fact I just said I was a huge SP fan. Yet he clearly stated his priorities. Even if we interpret the third point as you say, which is a very plausible interpretation, there's still no ambiguity about point 1 and very little about point 2.

Anyway, I have not been one of those attempting to invalidate SP's performance in Denver. In fact, I'm on record in a thread after week 1 or 2 calling out those who do. The man is playing well, and that's beyond question. But he is clearly someone the management of this team did not want back, for whatever reasons. We can speculate about what these reasons may be, but I suspect that it may be because SP's priorities seem to be about self-aggrandisement (make money, make attention-getting plays, have a good time) and not about team-building. Maybe this is unfair to say about someone who is, as you point out, second in the team's history in sacks and who only a couple of seasons ago put in a gutsy iron-man effort playing almost every down for the team that season when other OLBs were hurt, but it's what his comments sound like to me and to a lot of other people.
          Adipose

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I don't get the hate for Phillips either. He was a good player for the Chargers for many years, and he just didn't fit into the plans for the future, according to the front office, who may be more willing to let him go to FA than risk having a guy with diminishing skills on an expensive contract that hurts the future cap. Yeah, he was part of the party crowd, and looks soft with his shirt off, and has a big mouth and ego, but not worth hating on.

Since he's now a donkey, I want to see him pancaked by Clary... who the chargers kept because be was cheaper than Vasquez.

Comment

• sandiego17
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Telesco cut an unrestricted free agent? Oh that's right, AJ left the cupboard full of unrestricted free agents. "Hating" an all timer like Shaun is bullshit but its ok to hate Rivers, a true all timer who has always been and always will be a much, much, MUCH (MUCH) better player than Phillips can dream to be is ok?

Phillips was a great player for the Chargers for years, but imo, it was time for both sides to move on. Today he's a Donkey and I hate the Donkeys. Will never root for an organization that condoned that type of play and inflicted those types of bullshit injuries. I was ok with Igor punching that a-hole that tried to take out his knees on a spike. F'n Donkeys. Bullshit organization.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                Tommy T didn't cut Phillips
                He didn't? Was it before he was hired? If so, then I have to issue Den an apology.

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Send PM

He didn't? Was it before he was hired? If so, then I have to issue Den an apology.
                  You don't cut someone who isn't on the team. SP was a free agent. His contract with the Chargers had expired. He was not a Charger for TT to cut.
                  Adipose

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                    You don't cut someone who isn't on the team. SP was a free agent. His contract with the Chargers had expired. He was not a Charger for TT to cut.
                    OK, I started to figure that out...I'm just slow. Either way, I could have reworded it "Telesco didn't make any attempt to re-sign Phillips" and that would have been accurate. Really it's tantamount to the same thing.

Comment

• Panama
                      パナマ
                      • Aug 2013
                      • London
                      • Send PM

Really it's tantamount to the same thing.
                      Did you just say Shaun Phillips is a tauntaun mount?

Adipose

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

OK, I started to figure that out...I'm just slow. Either way, I could have reworded it "Telesco didn't make any attempt to re-sign Phillips" and that would have been accurate. Really it's tantamount to the same thing.
                        Not really. If he was on the team and Tommy cut him the Chargers would have to take the cap hit to not have him on the team. Where if he signed him he'd take the cap hit to have him on the team.

If Phillips was under contract with the Chargers for 2013 I have to think he'd still be on the roster
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I also think Phillips would have been on the team if he were still on contract. I think that there was a chance that he might have signed to a minimal vet contract if he had no other offers, but he just wasn't a priority, and ego would have kept SP from begging for a job here.

We fans have this mindset that our team is the best opportunity for anyone out there, and to sign with another team is treason, and that's not the case. For professional players in general, the job and playing is more important than team, and its extremely rare now to find players that have absolute loyalty to whoever they signed with... because they are just meat to the guys that run the teams.

Comment

Working...
                          X