Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      Are you joking? Refs are graded weekly and those grades effect the crews that work the playoffs. As for Hochuli missing that call:

Ed Hochuli's acknowledgement that he erred on a call late in Sunday's San Diego-Denver game will mean lower grades for one of the NFL's highest profile referees.

"Officials are held accountable for their calls. They are graded on every play of every game," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday. "Ed has been an outstanding official for many years, but he will be marked down for this call. Under our evaluation system, an official's grades impact his status for potentially working the playoffs and ultimately whether or not he is retained."
      No, I meant us common folk. How do we judge a good referee? It seems to me that any game that's a win, the refs did at least a good job; a loss...we have conspiracy theories. All kidding aside, I guess my point is: Unless the ref makes an All-Time bad call (Hochuli in the Denver-Charger game), then complaining about the refs is sort of pointless. And I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to issue some sort of "grade" (as if we don't have enough silly grading systems in place already ). Like I've said, I think the bad calls even out over the course of a long season.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

You can judge Refs and give them grades this way:
        1. Hochuli, Ed grade: F
        Recommendation: has to work Bucs or Jags games the rest of the year.

Not hard, really.

Comment

• blahblahblah
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
          Oh gosh...I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories generally. And I'm not this time. Hochuli's call was All-Time bad, but it really didn't do anything except make the season more interesting for the Chargers and allowed us to extract some vengeance in the form of a last-game butt-kicking of those same Broncos which got us into playoffs.

Hochuli can CERTAINLY be blamed, if you will, for that call (and that loss), but generally those things even out through the course of a season.

By the way, how does one judge a "good" referee? By the fact that he lifts weights? I don't think Hochuli stands out among the other refs in the League. But maybe I just don't know what to look for.
          Tomlinson may not have injured his groin week 17 if we already had the division secured.

Anyway, the replay "malfunction" was the bigger deal. Seems only the Donkos and the Pat*s ever have those.

Comment

Working...
          X