• Show
Clear All
  • SFW
    PB Official Game Thread Starter
    • Jul 2013
    • NY
    • USMC
    • Send PM

I have generally always liked Mathews and believed in him. I still think he can be (and will be) a better RB than he has been in SD. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him prosper after he leaves SD. He doesn't fumble a lot but they seem to come at the worst times. Not that there is ever a good time to fumble.

However, as richpjr stated above, the coaches just don't believe in him. For whatever reason he will just never be a feature back in SD. I 100% believe it is time to move on from Mathews here in SD. Not because I don't believe in him but because the coaches don't. The problem is he is under contract for one more season and it doesn't make sense financially to release him a year early. They also need to replace Ronnie Brown this off-season, so no reason to create to holes at RB (yet). So we will watch Mathews for one more season have a great game and then not get used the next, then get dinged up and miss a game and then follow that with another great game.
    1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
    2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
    3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
    4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
    5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
    6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
    7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• RobH
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Tokyo, Japan
      • University English Lecturer
      • Send PM

I really think Mathews has a hard time with the mental part of the game. When Rivers is out there calling out all sorts of play calls and adjustments, Mathews doesn't seem to be able to process all of them. I think that's why he's in there on downs where the D just can't tee off and make a run at Rivers. When it's an obvious passing down, Mathews has to know when he's supposed to stay in and block, who to block on blitz pick up, and when to go out on a route, what route to run, and where to be at a certain time. I just don't think he can do all that. I would imagine that this shows up in practices, and hence, we don't see it in games. However, I've seen Rivers get frustrated with him many times, especially with his routes, and I just have to believe that he's a bit short in the brains department.

He's got all the talent in the world, and he's a sincere, hard practicing player, and I don't think he deserves to be scorned, but it is a problem as to how to play him in the best situations to maximize his strengths.

Comment

• Wheels
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
        No, just pointing out how people can become clouded in their opinions. Do you have a problem with these stats? Do you think they are not accurate? And in no way am I dissing Woodhead at all. Did I ever say Woodhead was a fumble factory? No.
        Matthews has for sure gotten better with the fumbling. It's true that when a player struggles at a certain issue early on, many fans don't update their analysis of the player with current stats. Case in point, many people considered Sproles to be a punt muffing machine, when he only really struggled with that early in his career. I think that for Matthews, the situation of where he has fumbled has made them worse than the statistics bear out.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Is he more prone to fumble in the red zone? Fair to say, less red zone carries has dropped his number of fumbles?

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
            Matthews has for sure gotten better with the fumbling. It's true that when a player struggles at a certain issue early on, many fans don't update their analysis of the player with current stats. Case in point, many people considered Sproles to be a punt muffing machine, when he only really struggled with that early in his career. I think that for Matthews, the situation of where he has fumbled has made them worse than the statistics bear out.
            Uhh - Sproles muffed a punt last night. :laugh:

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
              I really think Mathews has a hard time with the mental part of the game.
              I think thats reason #1 he doesnt play a lot more
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Den60
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                Pretty narrow point, if you ask me. But whatever. Your posts are thick with an agenda, even when you MAY not be pushing one. I feel as if you've made that bed over the past few months, and it's going to be hard for this poster to take what you say at face value because of your recent history. As for Yuba, I was one of the few guys here who actually sort of liked the guy, and I tried to help him out on more than one occasion. For the record, I did not approve of his ban (but that's beside ANY point). If it makes you uncomfortable, then I will refrain from doing it in the future.
                Whatever dude,I think you a reading much too much into this to be perfectly honest. Go ahead and say that you don't like the way my facts make you feel about the opinions you have formed, that is fine with me. But, you are doing more to prove my point than I could ever do so myself so I thank you for that.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
                  I really think Mathews has a hard time with the mental part of the game. When Rivers is out there calling out all sorts of play calls and adjustments, Mathews doesn't seem to be able to process all of them. I think that's why he's in there on downs where the D just can't tee off and make a run at Rivers. When it's an obvious passing down, Mathews has to know when he's supposed to stay in and block, who to block on blitz pick up, and when to go out on a route, what route to run, and where to be at a certain time. I just don't think he can do all that. I would imagine that this shows up in practices, and hence, we don't see it in games. However, I've seen Rivers get frustrated with him many times, especially with his routes, and I just have to believe that he's a bit short in the brains department.

He's got all the talent in the world, and he's a sincere, hard practicing player, and I don't think he deserves to be scorned, but it is a problem as to how to play him in the best situations to maximize his strengths.
                  I think you probably hit the nail on the head with this take. I'd just like to see him used in short yardage a lot more. If there's one thing he's good at, it's getting tough yards and going pass on the goal line and on short yardage isn't having the success I'm sure that the Chargers are wanting.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Slow day at work so I decided to look this up. Note: I use total fumbles and not just fumbles lost for this comparison:

Current Year

Mathews 2013: 131 Rush + 8 Recpt = 139 Touches. Fumbles = 1. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0072

Woodhead 2013: 59 Rush + 53 Recpt = 112 Touches. Fumbles = 2. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0179

Past Two Years

Mathews 2012-2013: 315 Rush + 47 Recpt = 362 Touches. Fumbles = 3. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0083

Woodhead 2012-2-13: 135 Rush + 93 Recpt = 228 Touches. Fumbles = 3. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0132

Career

Mathews Career: 695 Rush + 119 Recpt = 814 Touches. Fumbles = 13. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0160
                    Woodhead Career: 324 Rush + 153 Recpt = 477 Touches. Fumbles = 4. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0084

So, over the last two years Mathews has hardly been the fumbling machine some portray him to be and his numbers are actually better than Woodhead's.
                    I already knew that and always point out that he hasnt fumbled much at all lately and is getting better but you still can convince some people.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                      LOL! Don't get so defensive. It has nothing at all do to with "clouded" opinions. You're spinning the numbers in a way that would make Yuba proud. And no amount of spinning is going to make Mathews any more than what he is: A high and costly first-round underachiever who wasn't worth the price we paid for him. It's amazing how you moan about giving up a FOURTH round pick to move up to grab Te'o, yet seem to be all too forgiving of the price (a high 2nd-round pick) to move up for an injury-prone guy who STILL hasn't figured out how to stay on the field on 3rd down and who HAS had problems holding on to the ball.

Those are the only 'stats' that matter to me.
                      Q, it's not amazing at all. Let me break it down for you:

Mathews trade up and selection - AJ Smith

Te'o trade up and selection - Tom "The Kid" Telesco

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

It has nothing to do with Yuba (and I think people should refrain from posting about someone who is not allowed to defend himself on here, just my opinion),
                        I disagree. You seem to be coming to his aid quite regularly.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                          Is he more prone to fumble in the red zone? Fair to say, less red zone carries has dropped his number of fumbles?
                          :chinstroke:

Comment

Working...
                          X