Was Mathews about to have a HUGE game ??

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
    guess you missed the nice pass he caught Sunday and the 1st play TD in the opener.
    Really...two pass receptions? Guess I was wrong, based on that definitive sample size.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
      I have seen nothing that supports this and often wonder why he isn't used more in the passing schemes.
      Maybe because Woodhead is like 1000x better at it than Mathews? Which doesn't really dismiss my point, although it does explain why Mathews isn't used more. I guess I just don't feel that (receiving) is a strong point in his game.

Comment

• MakoShark
        Disgruntled
        • Jun 2013
        • North Alabama
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
        Maybe because Woodhead is like 1000x better at it than Mathews? Which doesn't really dismiss my point, although it does explain why Mathews isn't used more. I guess I just don't feel that (receiving) is a strong point in his game.
        That shouldn't matter. Mathews is still good enough at receiving to be used in the passing game. We have to break tendencies and force D's to defense both threats. We can't be so obvious in the way we use Mathews vs Woodhead.
        sigpic

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

The coaches are underutilizing Mathews and his receiving skills. Another mark against the coaching staff.
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• MakoShark
            Disgruntled
            • Jun 2013
            • North Alabama
            • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
            The coaches are underutilizing Mathews and his receiving skills. Another mark against the coaching staff.
            I don't think anyone said that. It wasn't meant as a jab to the coaches, it was just me stating my opinion based on my observances. I don't think Mathews is a bad receiver at all and I would like to see them break tendency and use him more than they do now. Thats just me, the Charger fan out in Alabama who has never coached a game and is not privi'ed to the practices held at Charger Park.
            sigpic

Comment

• BlazingBolt
              SLAM DUNK!
              • Jun 2013
              • East County San Diego
              • Bolt fanatic
              • Send PM

I have seen nothing that supports this and often wonder why he isn't used more in the passing schemes.
              When Norv was trying to ride him he used to catch plenty of passes.

In one stretch he was going over 100 yards from scrimmage frequently. It is his blitz pickup that has limited him in the passing game although I have not noticed him making any glaring mistakes in that regard either in quite some time.
              migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• OhioBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The Whiz factor is the reason Matthews isn't used more as a reciever, and I don't think you have to take plays away from Woodhead. They use Matthews more as an outlet in passing formations, Rivers is usually looking down field on plays Matthews is in the game and uses him only as an outlet when the coverage downfield dictates. They have speciific pass plays designed for Woodhead why not do the same for Matthews. Off the two backs Matthews who has the longest gain whether run or pass it is Matthews. Who you think is more explosive of the two to take it for a long gainer? I think the plays that are design for Woodhead on passes if you do the same with Matthews he will make more yards if not a long explosive TD, you can see sometimes he is just one tackle away from a long gainer. This is more of an inditment of Whiz no using his talent to the fullest.

Comment

• TABF
                  Por debajo del promedio
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SoCal
                  • Send PM

I think what we all need to remember is that the coaches see Matthews everyday in practice and we don't. There must be something that doesn't give them 100% confidence in him.

I think Matthews lacks football smarts and that we were blessed for many years of LT being both football smart and a top notch athlete. From my seats with limited information, I think Matthews is nothing more than a servicable NFL starting running back and is far from the complete package.

Comment

• Buck
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Didn't Mathews injure himself on the long run that was called back? I thought that's why he was being held out.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
                      they had to tape up his groin after the first long run. pointed out by the announcers.
                      I did too.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

That shouldn't matter. Mathews is still good enough at receiving to be used in the passing game. We have to break tendencies and force D's to defense both threats. We can't be so obvious in the way we use Mathews vs Woodhead.
                        Thank you!
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

• OhioBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Matthews never made it through 16 games healthy, but in the 2011 season he played 14 games and had 50 receptions it isn't a matter of him not being able to catch or not knowing how to run routes, if that was the case he wouldn't be able to get that many receptions.

Comment

Working...
                          X