• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
    I think we wnd up keeping 3 which is the norm in the NFL. Clemons is a backup and thats it. At the time we picked him up he looked decent with his subbing in and he had some success...but he is much older and was never a high ceiling guy. Jones has a higher ceiling but needs development and I believe Rivers is a great guy yo watch and learn from. Give Jones time and a good situation and he might just fix his issues....that wasnt going to happen in Buffalo IMO. Im good with the trade to improve our QB stable now let them compete and lets move on to see what we have here.
    there in lies the rub. I think they roll the dice and keep 2 with Clemens being the odd man out, we shall see. I frickin love the depth on this roster going into camp. I am PUMPED!!!!

Full disclosure. .... I was drunk off my ass yesterday; long week! .but .... en vino vitras. I do not claim I was only discussing adoption at yesterday's meeting.
    I am staying out on my limb. Cardale will be our primary backup QB and Clemens will be the last cut.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Ok. Clemens had a few plays of drops. I will now collect video of all the shit throws, under throws, I don't have the arm to throws.,...INTS and FUMBLES in both pre-seaoson and regular season. Although not the best indi he has a career passer rating of 69 and a turnover rate that makes Pillsbury envious. He has 17 career fumbles in a blink of an eye career in Reg Season. Game manager my ass. He could not manage the NFL equivalent of a SUBWAY franchise at a New JErsey strip mall

Again...if he ever had a track record of any success in the NFL I would not stand on this premise. This is not a Hasselbeck etc. As a player, not as a team mate (think he is great there) HE SUCKS like a 2 dolla HO on a Navy ship while at sea for 6 months.

FWIW... I would not play Cardale now either. But I am not looking at week 1. I am looking at a kid that has a track record of winning BIG games on short notice, under a microscope. Yes in college...but Clemens isn't a vet with a quality track record. Jones has undeniable skills and some things to work on. ALL young QBs do, including guys starting this year and last year. If Cardale was a rook this year i would feel different. He has had a full pro off season and Reg season, a blip of reg season play, and a Returning coach that loves him and believes in him. If shit came to came pull i give WHIZ a better shot of winning a big game with Cardale than Clemens any day of the week.

Tell me that Clemens game does not have a ton of things where he is weak....at 34....if he is a guy we have to hitch or wagon to we are done. I can game plan Cardale; an athlete that can threaten the edges with gordon,TEs in the seam and double moves deep off play that give us a better shot to win than any game plan that can be made for Clemens.
      When I watch I don't see Clemens as being weak as much as he played on some truly terrible offenses. Was the offense bad when he was in there? Yes. Was it due to what he was doing? IMHO, it was not. Neither the Jets or Rams OL really had any bussiness being on an NFL field. Receivers are running poor routes (or worse). Then add into that that backups don't get to practice, so that when Clemens plays for extended periods, he gets sharper.

The fumble thing is his fault. He gets hit a lot and a lot of them are complete whiff's by the OL, but his technique in ball control is sloppy. But the fact is he was behind even an average NFL OL, it wouldn't be nearly as bad. Then again, Jones is too, at least when he is in the pocket.

Comment

• thehammer
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

elite talent a winner..Lynn knows Jones and went out and traded for him similar path as Brett Favre who Atlanta dumped after a year you guys might not know it yet but you just acquired Rivers replacement

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Bolt-O commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to the Powder Blues!

• Formula 21
          Formula 21 commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome aboard
      • bonehead
        Undrafted
        • Jul 2013
        • TBD
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

NO NEPOTISM.....i only want a third that can contribute week 2 week in practice with something we do not have. Young R has no future in the nfl.
        Yeah I was just joking.....:sigh:
        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Geezbolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Sun Valley, ID
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
          Who would you rather watch if Rivers goes down?

Watching Clemons is like watching something rust.

Watching Jones is like watching something burn.

Go for the burn, it's more entertaining.
          "It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps." -- Neil Young

Comment

• SDFan
            SDFan commented
            Editing a comment
            better to burn out, than to fade away. my my hey hey. rock and roll is here to stay.
        • blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Watching that Bills vid, couldn't help but notice Jones had to deal with a lot of pressure every down. Makes me wonder how he'd be with decent OL play and better receivers.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles
            Damn, we could have had Blake for a conditional 7th too.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post

Damn, we could have had Blake for a conditional 7th too.
              Ryan Mallett struggled too

Bortles and Mallett have way more experience than Jones and still look like crap
              Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Usually, when they say a conditional 7th round pick is that is the most we would give up. Since Buffalo was probably going to cut him (they are just going with 3 QB into camp), it is no risk for them if they run the risk of getting nothing in return, since they weren't likely to get anything. That is what this article suggests (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-draft-choice/)

I suspect the reason the trade didn't happen earlier is we just waited them out. TT said that we have been talking about it since the draft. At that point, they probably felt they could get something of value out of us. But we stuck to our guns and now Buffalo is just happy to get anything.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

More about Telesco's interest in Jones:

The Los Angeles Chargers acquired their backup quarterback of the future on Thursday when they traded for Cardale Jones.

But according to general manager Tom Telesco, the organization had been eyeing the former Ohio State quarterback for quite some time.

Telesco told ESPN that the Bolts had been looking to trade for Jones, entering his second season, since the draft in April, and their infatuation with the gunslinger stretches all the way back to 2016. The day before Jones was selected by Rex Ryan's Buffalo Bills in the fourth round in the 2016 draft, the Chargers had held a private workout with the QB in Columbus.

This week, Los Angeles finally got its man, adding Jones to a QB room that includes Philip Rivers -- who has three years left with the Bolts -- longtime backup Kellen Clemens and former Undrafted fixture Mike Bercovici.

"Obviously we're looking for competition at that spot," Telesco added. "And with Cardale, he's a quarterback with some developmental traits that are hard to find.

"Our scouts had really high grades on him when he came out in the draft. And then the fact that Anthony had him in Buffalo for a year -- that way he knew him -- so it was a good blend for us and a good combination for that. Since Brad Sorensen, we haven't had a young quarterback in our system that we could work with, so he's going to be one of those guys."

Jones was expendable in Buffalo's new regime and was highly sought after by former Bills offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn's remodeling Chargers. Thursday's swap was a win-win for both sides, and one that L.A. hopes reaps more than just a second-string arm.

--

I think he's better than Sorensen, at least.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by thehammer View Post
                    elite talent a winner..Lynn knows Jones and went out and traded for him similar path as Brett Favre who Atlanta dumped after a year you guys might not know it yet but you just acquired Rivers replacement
                    Welcome to the forum Hammer. Good to have you.

Comment

Working...
                    X