• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoltBacker
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • Send PM

This is clearly getting old, on a team with little talent he needs to get the ball more..

Type of dumb move Chargers make, let this guy walk and he proves a top 5 back in the league somewhere else. Ala Brees, Welker, Jackhole, Sproles and Harrison. We have a great history of losing Pro-Bowl talent for nothing in return.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Viejo Bolt View Post
      Except his passpro still sucks. He didn't slide over to pick up that blitzer on that 3rd and goal play. The next time the Chargers were down there, he didn't see the field. If he can't be counted on to pick up the blitz when Rivers makes an adjustment from run to pass, then he is going to be limited and his value reduced. It isn't just about carrying the rock; you gotta block. Just ask LT.
      well, the book on MTurner was he couldn't catch the ball, then he went to Atlanta and carried their offense a couple seasons. I don't care if our starting RB excels in all 3 phases or not. Mathews has talent and we need to see more of him. He probably could have ran for 200 yds yesterday.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        His very first 40 plus yard run.
        didn't he have 2 last week- with 1 called back on the penalty?
        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• RTPbolt
          Charger Fan till the end
          • Jun 2013
          • North Carolina
          • Send PM

I do believe Mathews has quite a bit of talent. He's dangerous and has pretty decent speed to get to the edge. That one long run was just good blocking that freed him to turn on the jets. Block well and he's a 1200 yard back easy. He seems to have his fumbling under decent control. Saw him double arm hug that ball at the end of the run...I think he's doing right things.

As far as pass blocking I really haven't been looking at that as much. I dont know how the schemes are setup. I'm sure its not always easy to have a 180 degree view at full game speed to see where the stunt guy is coming into a gap and to be ready with proper mechanics. Its something he frankly isnt getting the game time at because Woodhead is THE third down back....he won't get better if they don't have them in there. Frankly Woodhead is also an asset and I'm not sure I even agree to pulling woodhead in the first place....he's a better option due to his receiving skills and ability to also run....he's just the right type of 3rd down back you want to have.

We didn't lose do to our RBs yesterday. Our D is so beatup with zero depth at this point of the season. Our OL is starting to break down more. RBs are not our issue causing losses at this point.

Comment

• OhioBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
            I do believe Mathews has quite a bit of talent. He's dangerous and has pretty decent speed to get to the edge. That one long run was just good blocking that freed him to turn on the jets. Block well and he's a 1200 yard back easy. He seems to have his fumbling under decent control. Saw him double arm hug that ball at the end of the run...I think he's doing right things.

As far as pass blocking I really haven't been looking at that as much. I dont know how the schemes are setup. I'm sure its not always easy to have a 180 degree view at full game speed to see where the stunt guy is coming into a gap and to be ready with proper mechanics. Its something he frankly isnt getting the game time at because Woodhead is THE third down back....he won't get better if they don't have them in there. Frankly Woodhead is also an asset and I'm not sure I even agree to pulling woodhead in the first place....he's a better option due to his receiving skills and ability to also run....he's just the right type of 3rd down back you want to have.

We didn't lose do to our RBs yesterday. Our D is so beatup with zero depth at this point of the season. Our OL is starting to break down more. RBs are not our issue causing losses at this point.
            Agreed 100% and SDfan made a good point also Micheal Turner wasn't the best on third down passing situations and he comes out, but he was effective running it is just a matter of using your teams talent right. I know alot of people may not notice this either one of the leagues best backs Adrian Peterson comes out on some third down plays, that are obvious passing plays. There are really a very few all around backs that stay in all downs.

A few backs that do stay in regardless of down I am sure there are a few more, but these are the ones that come to mind right off the top

Lesean McCoy not that he is a great blocker, but a great recieving threat
            Jamal Charlse I would consider him a great blocker either, but leads his team in receptions
            Frank Gore is a good blocker and reciever

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

Mathews is our "bizarro" player. Right when he starts to get it, the rest of the starts falling apart.
              sigpic

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                SLAM DUNK!
                • Jun 2013
                • East County San Diego
                • Bolt fanatic
                • Send PM

I still wish we could try out some power running formations down in the redzone.

Mathews got in the game some down there but we were still in passing formations. I don't want Mathews playing woodheads role down there so much. I don't think just swapping in Mathews for woodhead is what is needed, we need some power runs
                migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                  didn't he have 2 last week- with 1 called back on the penalty?
                  39 yarder called back. 35 was his long run. Hes never gone over 40.

Comment

Working...
                  X