• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by whookimane View Post

Whats the ol saying, "cant make the club in the tub" also I know Davis hasn't showed well in games but coaching staff seems to think highly of him and he fits the big long cb mold Gus Bradley loves so I wouldn't be surprised if he made the 53 out of fear he would get snatched trying to sneak him on the practice squad and a few weeks later trying to stash him on practice squad like Telesco did with Tyrell Williams a couple of years ago.
    Burwell has his hand in a cast and could still play per Lynn so I don't think that will be a factor.
    Reed also played damn well last season so even tho Lynn wasn't here, crap play is crap play and that is where Davis is so I guess we'll see.He doesn't look ready to me.

How many players have we had snached from the PS? Welker is the only one I can think of. It doesn't happen very often because that player has to be on the other teams roster so there also has to be injuries on other teams for that to happen or just horrible depth.
    Everybody here thinks our PS players are some sort of gems that everybody wants and they aren't. If we could trade PS players with other teams you bet damn well that would happen often. Other teams have some decent PS players too.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 08-29-2017, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• whookimane
      whookimane commented
      Editing a comment
      Well you can say we haven't had practice squad players stolen because young guys with traits usually are protected by being on the 53. I would imagine Cardale would be a PS candidate but the chargers don't wanna risk that which is why they are keeping 3 QBs I imagine. A couple of years ago Tyrell Williams they kept on roster a couple of weeks because they thought it would be easier to sneak on the practice squad during regular season than during preseason when teams are really looking to snatch up anybody that slips through the cracks. Instead of looking at it and saying we never have PS players stolen so don't worry about it, I look at it as we have done a good job in the past of protecting our intriguing prospects by finding a spot for them on the roster.
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

They didn't try to sneak Tyrell on the PS during the season. They cut him because we needed OL on the roster for that week. They brought him back as soon as they could. There are 256 total players on practice squads and rarely does one get snached away but yes it does happen from time to time. I just doubt everybody has the Chargers as the creme de la creme of practice squads as everyone here thinks we are.

Comment

• whookimane
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      They didn't try to sneak Tyrell on the PS during the season. They cut him because we needed OL on the roster for that week. They brought him back as soon as they could. There are 256 total players on practice squads and rarely does one get snached away but yes it does happen from time to time. I just doubt everybody has the Chargers as the creme de la creme of practice squads as everyone here thinks we are.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

There was a real recent article on Tyrell on this subject but i didnt save it.

Name one time Lynn said negative things about our players or any HC we had. The most negative he has been is to say a couple possitions are still up for grabs...CB being one. Safety another. The Niners just praised Vance McDonald and then two days later (today) they traded him to Pittsburgh. And i dont mean you are saying our PS players are gold but many here ALWAYS think other teams are going to steal players we put on there and the only that did get stolen was Welker.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Boltjolt commented
          Editing a comment
          He is playing early because they have sat Verrett, Reed hasn't been healthy enough to play and are giving him an honest look. He hasn't faired well. Giving guys an honest look is what preseason is all about.

• whookimane
          whookimane commented
          Editing a comment
          It appears he has moved ahead of Trevor Williams who was on the 53 last year. You can call it an honest look, I think it is an indication that the coaches like him. Tons of guys on the roster don't get honest looks, if you are getting playing time in the first half of preseason games you are most likely in the running to make the 53. In the same way Nigel Harris has went from UDFA to getting some reps with the 1st team in situations but primarily the 2nd team jumping ahead of josh perry. Would you also suggest Nigel Harris is only ahead of josh perry because they want to get a look because that's what preseason is for? These guys are battling for roster spots and if nigel harris is playing over perry and davis is playing over Williams I would imagine they are the favorites to make the team over the guy playing behind them

• Boltjolt
          Boltjolt commented
          Editing a comment
          We will see. He hasnt played well. I dont care who they cut but why keep the guy who hasnt played well while others have? Just because you are 6'2" doesnt make you a good player. Verrett is vastly better at 5'9". If 6'2' with 4.3 speed was the gauge to good CBs then he wouldnt have been undrafted. IMO he is PS material. Adrian Phillips is l;osted as second strng hile McCoil is fourth. Phillips sucks and McCoil is better so i dont really put much emphasis on the depth chart right now. How about after the last preseason game?
          Jacksonville only has one CB over 6' so it isnt just something that Bradley likes.

As for Harris, he hasnt played that well either but he has been better than Perry who most likely gets cut. I dont think he is a good fit on this defense.Not like we are stacked at LB. Its the weakest link on the defense right now. I hope they pick up somebody after the cuts come down.
          Last edited by Boltjolt; 08-30-2017, 10:31 AM.
      • Porterparty
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by whookimane View Post

You are absolutely not alone, I hope Clemons is cut but he appears to be safe.
        Why would you keep Clemons if Jones is now a better replacement for Rivers. Put Bercvici on PS, cut Clemons and get someone like Cyrus Kounidjo or Ahmad Brooks, who can actually help us win.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

There was a real recent article on Tyrell on this subject but i didnt save it.
          Found it. I remeber this from that time but here is the article.

Tyrell Williams Refuses to Buy into His Own Hype

Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:44 PM PDT

By Ricky Henne
          Managing Editor
          Chargers.com

All 32 teams bypassed Tyrell Williams, a 6-4, 205-pound wide receiver whose 4.38 40-speed also made him a track star at Western Oregon, in the 2015 NFL Draft.

That mistake proved to be a gift to the Bolts, who signed Williams immediately. In fact, they were the only team who offered the wide receiver a contract.

After making the 53-man roster and seeing the field on special teams in the season opener, the Chargers waived him as injuries necessitated the need to sign additional offensive linemen. Luckily, the 31 other teams continued to sleep on Williams, allowing the Bolts to re-sign him to the practice squad.

He eventually made his way back to the active roster later in the year, and the rest is history.

Williams is fresh off a breakout sophomore campaign in which he became only the 15tha lot of drops. I had a big play that I think helped get me on this team, but I had about four or five drops. I had a terribleKeenan Allen
          Last edited by Bolt-O; 08-29-2017, 05:01 PM. Reason: Formatting for readability.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

They steal our players, we steal their players, come they're all the same. Every team has at least one player they want to stash and keep, and the rest don't matter.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

@thejackwang: Anthony Lynn said Dwight Lowery and Tre Boston are "neck and neck" for the Chargers' starting free safety job.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Concudan View Post
                Am I alone in hoping we say sayonara to Clemons? I dont want to carry 3 QBs on the roster.
                Clemons will be on the Denver squad next week if we cut him.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Panamamike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why would they want to downgrade their roster?

• Boltjolt
                  Boltjolt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Seems like a win -win for us.
              • Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

@thejackwang: Anthony Lynn said Dwight Lowery and Tre Boston are "neck and neck" for the Chargers' starting free safety job.
                  Lowery is 31, Boston is 25. If they're tied, I go with the younger guy.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Big Dog
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Sadly Clemons is a lock, Rivers loved the guy and Lynn wants a happy Rivers. We go with 3 QB's on the roster. Also so far our #4 QB Bert has been better than #3 Jones IMO ...

Boston gets the starting job if it is close, younger and more energizing to the D than Lowery.

for our 4 RB's I really like Eckler (spelling ) as a change of pace guy. Hope he sticks.

Comment

Working...
                    X