Dumping Core (Guys to cut/redo at the end of the season)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Dumping the core would provide us oppertunities to add pick and players needed to do a total rebuild. Rivers Floyd and Gates could provide an extra 1st ,2 seconds, and 3 third round picks between the next two drafts. Other players that do not suck may help too. Problem is each core player traded needs to bring two draft picks back or better. We do not have that many/any players who could net two picks or players per trade.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

After some healthy cathartic bitching the realization creeps in that we are still losing manly becuase we are beating ourselves. Watching this team is like watching a lossing game of hang man over a 4 letter word with two voules both the same letter!
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

So, yes, that would be like watching "me" play hang man!
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• TTK
          EX-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • America's Finest City
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
          Might as well stop fooling ourselves and just slash and burn and hope we can pull a Phoenix out of the ashes.

Guys we need to CUT
          Larry English
          LeRon McClain
          Dwight Freeney
          Jarrett Johnson
          Derrick Cox
          Ronnie Brown
          King Dunlap (for his own sake)
          Crezdon Butler
          Kwame Gaethers
          Richard Marshall
          Rich Ohrnberger
          Johnny Patrick
          John Phillips
          Charlie Whitehurst
          Jonas Mouton

Guys we need to re-structure to justify keeping around
          Jeromey Clary
          Eddie Royal
          Nick Hardwick

FA Guys we should offer TEAM FRIENDLY contracts to (or let them walk)
          Cam Thomas (1 year deal)
          Donald Butler
          Malcom Floyd (1 year deal; much as I love the guy)
          Danario Alexander (1 year deal)

Guys we should restructure to free up some much-need cap room
          Philip Rivers
          Eric Weddle
          I'd keep Dunlap (if he's healthy) and Patrick. Geathers could be someone to keep to develop and he's dirt cheap. Phillips probably sticks. He's nothing special but #3 TEs usually aren't and his contract isn't a killer.

Freeney is probably done so you probably have to keep JJ for one more year just to have a quality starter. (Ingram still unproven and they'll probably add a draft pick).

Cox is going to have to show a lot in the final games to stick around.

Hardwick and Clary I would keep. I like Royal but I'd let him go just because it's such a bad contract.

I'd like to see Butler stay at the right price but some team may take a chance on him with a bigger contract somewhere.

Floyd is under contract next year so you either keep him or cut him. I'd keep both him and DX for another year.

The rest of the list can go (English, McClain, Ronnie Brown, C. Butler, Ohrnberger, Whitehurst, Muton, Thomas). But hopefully they can show their worth in the final six games.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I can not justfy offering roster spots to more than one injured prone WR. Floyd would be my pick. DX you may be able to pick up off the street if we get an IRd WR.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Opera singer and web developer.
              • Send PM

I'll bet any of you any amount of money the team does not cut Larry English.
              Adipose

Comment

• SFW
                PB Official Game Thread Starter
                • Jul 2013
                • NY
                • USMC
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                So you don't think they will re-sign him to a new contract and then cut him the next day?
                1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Den60
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                  My opinion is the product of a tortured football mind. I didn't take ANY time to research this ill-advised and inaccurate post. I guess you can say it's my opinion about what I'd HOPE we could do to: 1) Save money and; 2) Get rid of dead wood and/or old players.

Probably has no basis in reality of any kind. Not even mine.
                  At least you didn't advocate a major "national disaster" that would kill innocent people.

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Opera singer and web developer.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
                    So you don't think they will re-sign him to a new contract and then cut him the next day?
                    Shhh... I want people to bet me on this. Easy money.
                    Adipose

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                      What has Larry English ever brought that makes him worth keeping? You can't keep a lb who gives you 1 tackle and .2 sacks per game.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• SFW
                        PB Official Game Thread Starter
                        • Jul 2013
                        • NY
                        • USMC
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                        At least you didn't advocate a major "national disaster" that would kill innocent people.
                        Yeah, only a complete asshole would post something like that. Especially when that same poster was "disgusted" when someone else hoped Manning would get hurt.
                        1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                        2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                        3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                        4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                        5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                        6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                        7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Den60
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                          I'd keep Dunlap (if he's healthy) and Patrick. Geathers could be someone to keep to develop and he's dirt cheap. Phillips probably sticks. He's nothing special but #3 TEs usually aren't and his contract isn't a killer.

Freeney is probably done so you probably have to keep JJ for one more year just to have a quality starter. (Ingram still unproven and they'll probably add a draft pick).

Cox is going to have to show a lot in the final games to stick around.

Hardwick and Clary I would keep. I like Royal but I'd let him go just because it's such a bad contract.

I'd like to see Butler stay at the right price but some team may take a chance on him with a bigger contract somewhere.

Floyd is under contract next year so you either keep him or cut him. I'd keep both him and DX for another year.

The rest of the list can go (English, McClain, Ronnie Brown, C. Butler, Ohrnberger, Whitehurst, Muton, Thomas). But hopefully they can show their worth in the final six games.
                          I always feel you have to look at what players are costing (or will cost if cut). Between Hardwick, Clary and Royal you have about $18.6M in cap space next year which is close to 15% of your cap total. You have to figure that into their overall value to the club. Not sure why people want Geathers over Thomas. Gaethers is inactive most of the time which means we go into the game with only one NT. Dunlap and Patrick have 6 concussions (one might be a - wink-wink - neck injury) between them so neither of them look all that attractive to me. If we do cut Cox he will be TT's Meachem and he achieved that level of sucktitude in his very first year!

Comment

Working...
                          X