• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyle
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

So let's talk about Danny Woodhead

He's caused so many mismatch problems for other teams this year I was surprised the Chargers went away from him in the 2nd half last week. I get that each back has a role, but still surprised he wasn't more involved.
    sigpic
  • TABF
    Por debajo del promedio
    • Jun 2013
    • SoCal
    • Send PM

I have not seen much rhythm to our running back carousel. I'm a big McCoy fan and hope our future is bright, however, I have scratched my head on about the same pace as the previous 4 seasons.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

In New England it seemed like everytime he touched the ball it was for a first down. But they used him all over. Im thinking he's been in the backfield more for blocking.
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Kyle
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

You're right, Shane Vereen has that role for them now. Lined up at WR, etc. They did a good job of getting Woodhead matched up with a LB earlier in the year but I think they only threw to him twice last week. I know Mathews had a good game, but Ronnie Brown actually was more involved than Woodhead in the second half... strange.
        sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I thought for sure this thread would be about Eric Weddle
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• BoltBalls
            Always keep eye contact!
            • Jun 2013
            • SD!
            • Send PM

Would it be crazy to have BOTH Woodhead and Mathews on the field during certain down and distances? For example, say it is 2nd down and short. Rivers under center, Mathews on one side and Woodhead on the other, with Gates moving around and 2 WRs on the flanks. Rivers has so many options with that formation depending on the defense. Pitch it to Mathews or Woodhead, hand it to one of them on an inside draw, playaction, screen pass, etc. I think it would be awesome myself, but I'm just an armchair coordinator...
            Last edited by BoltBalls; 11-21-2013, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Opera singer and web developer.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBalls View Post
              Would it be crazy to have BOTH Woodhead and Mathews on the field during certain down and distances? For example, say it is 2nd down and short. Rivers under center, Mathews on one side and Woodhead on the other, with Gates moving around and 2 WRs on the flanks. Rivers has so many options with that formation depending on the defense. Pitch it to Mathews or Woodhead, hand it to one of them on an inside draw, playaction, screen pass, etc. I think it would be awesome myself, but I'm just an armchair coordinator...
              I like your thinking. Throw so many possibilities at the D they just can't cover each one.
              Adipose

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

I'd rather be in a two TE set vs two RB set. Of course that means your RB needs to be able to pass block which is the issue.

Comment

• BoltBalls
                  Always keep eye contact!
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SD!
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                  I'd rather be in a two TE set vs two RB set. Of course that means your RB needs to be able to pass block which is the issue.
                  Yes exactly, which is what my thinking was of having both Mathews and Woodhead out there. Mathews can run screen or wheel routes while Woodhead is blocking, and the threat of running the ball with Mathews is still in play. I also feel that rotating Gates with Green as single TE needs to happen more often, along with the two TE sets.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBalls View Post
                    Yes exactly, which is what my thinking was of having both Mathews and Woodhead out there. Mathews can run screen or wheel routes while Woodhead is blocking, and the threat of running the ball with Mathews is still in play. I also feel that rotating Gates with Green as single TE needs to happen more often, along with the two TE sets.
                    The problem is that Woodhead is essentially wasted if we run with Matthews. The value of the two TE set is that you can still run 3 WR type patterns out of them or run the ball if the defense sits in its nickel defense. It's why NE had so much success the past few years when they had two elite options at TE. Teams had to sit in nickel defenses to stop the passing game and then got run over.

Comment

• BoltBalls
                      Always keep eye contact!
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SD!
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      The problem is that Woodhead is essentially wasted if we run with Matthews. The value of the two TE set is that you can still run 3 WR type patterns out of them or run the ball if the defense sits in its nickel defense. It's why NE had so much success the past few years when they had two elite options at TE. Teams had to sit in nickel defenses to stop the passing game and then got run over.
                      Very good point, especially with the example of how the Patriots used it. Green and Gates need to be used more often together without a doubt.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                        Go Aztecs and Pads
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                        You're right, Shane Vereen has that role for them now. Lined up at WR, etc. They did a
                        good job of getting Woodhead matched up with a LB earlier in the year but I think they only threw to him twice last week. I know Mathews had a good game, but Ronnie Brown actually was more involved than Woodhead in the second half... strange.
                        Ronnie Brown is a better pass blocker than Woodhead. Somebody told me that Woodhead could block. But I think he kind of sucks at it.

Comment

Working...
                        X