• Show
Clear All
  • Concudan
    Bhi craic agus ceol again
    Generous Donor
    • Jun 2017
    • Principal Quality Engineer
    • Send PM

The official source for Los Angeles Chargers news, schedules, stats, scores, tickets and more.

Tre has faith in Koo.

You should too?

Out of the Bloo?

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

They never should have cut Novak who was battle hardened after working a couple seasons to earn the job. When the rules changed to lessen impact of a big leg to drill kickoffs thru the end zone, it erased Novak's only drawback.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Koo kicks like a lady.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Nick Novak is 36 years old, so signing him is only a stop gap. He was already slipping when we cut him, and it's 2 seasons later.

The tradeoff on Lambo on kickoffs is that while he gets a lot of touchbacks coming out to the 25, it also means we don't have to put as much emphasis on ST coverage, which for us right now is a good thing. PResumably, as Lambo developed, you could have him work on hanging the ball deep and directional kicking into one corner which would have made it a lot harder to return. Then you can really take to the attack with the kickoff. Lambo wasn't there, but just like rookie QB struggle throwing the ball downfield, young kickers struggle with their consistency.

Since you can't just go out and find good kickers, at some point you have to bite the bullet and develop one yourself. Cutting the guys every year or two means we get stuck in a constant loop. But then again, we are always doing that anyway by firing the coaches and bringing in new guys.

Comment

• Maverick
            (Coryellian)
            • Jun 2013
            • Point Loma
            • Send PM

Never should have cut Lambo for this Koo clown...

Comment

• sandiego17
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn said he's sticking with rookie kicker Younghoe Koo and will not bring in competition at that position this week. "We're still riding with him," Lynn said. "And we're hoping that he'll bounce back."
              Chargers have always lacked a ruthlessness. Nothing new. He should have been cut Sunday.

Comment

• Concudan
                Generous Donor
                • Jun 2017
                • Send PM

People need to stop going after the low hanging fruit. The Chargers could cut Ho, bring back Lambo, Carney or Novak... Nothing would change. The team would still not put games away, and long field goals would still not be a certain thing. Until ALL the players start playing like wolves, instead of rabbit in the second half, the Chargers will lose games late in the 4th. Relying on and putting the blame for those losses on one person is obtuse to say the least in my opinion.

Ho took the job in practice, training camp and off season work outs. He beat Lambo. So maybe Lambo is not the savior everyone wants him to be. Can we upgrade? Sure, but who do you bring in? I dont see Lambo as any savior....

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                  SLAM DUNK!
                  • Jun 2013
                  • East County San Diego
                  • Bolt fanatic
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Concudan View Post
                  . He beat Lambo. So maybe Lambo is not the savior everyone wants him to be. Can we upgrade? Sure, but who do you bring in? I dont see Lambo as any savior....
                  Dude is 1 for 4.......I don't think it's hard to find a kicker than can do better than 25%

Missing two kicks under 45 yards in a game is below NFL standards for the bad kickers.

Missing those kicks 100% caused us to lose.......he makes either kick and we win.

There are lots of kickers that could have done better than Koo who has been a complete disaster to this point.
                  migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Rambler
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • No Cal
                    • Civil Research Attorney
                    • Send PM

if you want to talk disasters in kickers, why is Kaser getting a pass? This is his second year, and he's still extremely inconsistent. When has he ever nailed a big punt in the 4th quarter? He's usually line-driving a returnable punt, or kicking a short one, to give the other team a short field for the game-winning drive.

Comment

• Concudan
                      Generous Donor
                      • Jun 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post

Dude is 1 for 4.......I don't think it's hard to find a kicker than can do better than 25%

Missing two kicks under 45 yards in a game is below NFL standards for the bad kickers.

Missing those kicks 100% caused us to lose.......he makes either kick and we win.

There are lots of kickers that could have done better than Koo who has been a complete disaster to this point.
                      I disagree. To call a 44 yard kick "under 45" is playing word games at best. You cant by ANY stretch of the imagination say if he hit those field goals we would have won. The Chargers have been losing games, up by 3 for over a year now. They are timid and appear to expect to lose in the final quarter. You want to replace Koo. Ok. Go ahead, you are welcome to your opinion. But I am not at all for bringing back Lambo with his late season weak leg.

And lets discuss the falsehood of those 3 kicks making us lose. That is blinders on review on display there. Is this a TEAM sport or an individual sport? What about Rivers and the O taking nearly 15 seconds to get set up to run a play on that last drive? The drive they settled for the 44 yard, "its all good because it is less than 45 yards" field goal. You dont think that perhaps a little sense of urgency might have given us more time to get closer? That is but one of the TEAMS failings that lost us the game last Sunday.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                        SLAM DUNK!
                        • Jun 2013
                        • East County San Diego
                        • Bolt fanatic
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Concudan View Post

I disagree. To call a 44 yard kick "under 45" is playing word games at best. You cant by ANY stretch of the imagination say if he hit those field goals we would have won. The Chargers have been losing games, up by 3 for over a year now. They are timid and appear to expect to lose in the final quarter. You want to replace Koo. Ok. Go ahead, you are welcome to your opinion. But I am not at all for bringing back Lambo with his late season weak leg.

And lets discuss the falsehood of those 3 kicks making us lose. That is blinders on review on display there. Is this a TEAM sport or an individual sport? What about Rivers and the O taking nearly 15 seconds to get set up to run a play on that last drive? The drive they settled for the 44 yard, "its all good because it is less than 45 yards" field goal. You dont think that perhaps a little sense of urgency might have given us more time to get closer? That is but one of the TEAMS failings that lost us the game last Sunday.
                        Seriously? Calling a 44 yard kick "under 45" is not a word game...it is a straight up cold blooded hard as hell indisputable fact. 44 yards is one yard less than 45....FACT.

Second,I say either kick we win because the point differential was under 3 which happens to be the points either one of those kicks would have scored.....also a FACT. I guess you could argue that IF the first kick made it that the game changes and the Chargers defense would have just given up another touchdown in order to lose instead of holding the Dolphins to field goals like they actually did. But what you can't argue is that if he makes the second kick the Chargers win. Well I guess you could argue the Dolphins score with the one remaining play they might have been able to get off but now that is just absurd.

I did not claim that the tying FG in Denver leads to a win or that Koo cost us that game....I simply counted the missed kick in his career statistics because it is a FACT.

Do you also make the claim that Hoculi's horrendous call did not cost us a victory in Denver? Sometimes one play does make a difference between winning and losing and when it does it's ok to point to that play. There are always good and bad plays in a game and you can always make the case other plays could have made the difference besides a play that actually did have the game on the line....like a game winning FG at the end of the game. Trying to say missing that kick didn't cost us the game is just an absurd level of "I don't want to make excuses". He makes the kick we win, missing it cost us the game.....FACT. Nate Kaeding's miss cost us a playoff win in his rookie year too even though the defense gave it up after the miss....if he makes it the defense had already done enough to win.....FACT.

I will not say Marlon McCree cost us the game against the Patriots because that is not a fact. The Patriots still had time to stop us and score again even if he didn't fumble the interception. That was not the game deciding play considering the game situation.
                        Last edited by BlazingBolt; 09-20-2017, 11:51 AM.
                        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Concudan
                          Generous Donor
                          • Jun 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post

Seriously? Calling a 44 yard kick "under 45" is not a word game...it is a straight up cold blooded hard as hell indisputable fact. 44 yards is one yard less than 45....FACT.

Second,I say either kick we win because the point differential was under 3 which happens to be the points either one of those kicks would have scored.....also a FACT. I guess you could argue that IF the first kick made it that the game changes and the Chargers defense would have just given up another touchdown in order to lose instead of holding the Dolphins to field goals like they actually did. But what you can't argue is that if he makes the second kick the Chargers win. Well I guess you could argue the Dolphins score with the one remaining play they might have been able to get off but now that is just absurd.

I did not claim that the tying FG in Denver leads to a win or that Koo cost us that game....I simply counted the missed kick in his career statistics because it is a FACT.

Do you also make the claim that Hoculi's horrendous call did not cost us a victory in Denver? Sometimes one play does make a difference between winning and losing and when it does it's ok to point to that play. There are always good and bad plays in a game and you can always make the case other plays could have made the difference besides a play that actually did have the game on the line....like a game winning FG at the end of the game. Trying to say missing that kick didn't cost us the game is just an absurd level of "I don't want to make excuses". He makes the kick we win, missing it cost us the game.....FACT. Nate Kaeding's miss cost us a playoff win in his rookie year too even though the defense gave it up after the miss....if he makes it the defense had already done enough to win.....FACT.

I will not say Marlon McCree cost us the game against the Patriots because that is not a fact. The Patriots still had time to stop us and score again even if he didn't fumble the interception. That was not the game deciding play considering the game situation.
                          Wow... bounce around much? Let me just say I disagree with you. You look at 60 minutes of play and say "This 5 seconds cost us the game" and ignore everything else that led to the 5 seconds. I consider that a very blinder wearing point of view. I get it, one yard is a lot to you, to me it is not that big of a deal. So if you dont like it we can agree to disagree. or you can just disagree, it really doesnt matter much to me either way.

All I will add is shame on the teams for allowing the FG, Ref calls and fumbles to cost them the game. They should never be that close.

Comment

Working...
                          X