• Show
Clear All
  • BlazingBolt
    SLAM DUNK!
    • Jun 2013
    • East County San Diego
    • Bolt fanatic
    • Send PM

I agree we disagree. The whole "no one play cost us the game" mantra people parade out there after one play costs them the game is simply trying to make one feel better about losing, either the one saying it or it's just a way to avoid throwing one guy under the bus and not making him feel so bad about costing his team the game. This is about feelings and wanting to say we could have done more so it didn't come down to that play. The problem I have is that in actual reality you didn't do more and it did come down to that one play.

One play can and does actually cost team games and it is just as easy to say and more true to admit that not one other play needed to be made except the one that cost the team the game. All that needed to change was Koo makes that kick and everything is different.....no one at that point is worried about feelings and they definitely don't say "it shouldn't have come down to that one play" no one is saying "we should have made more plays so it didn't come down to that".

If he makes the kick everything that came before it has a positive spin, since he misses it has a negative spin. The only difference between winning and losing was making or missing that kick and the game actually did come down to that one play.

NFL games are actually often that close whether you think they should or shouldn't be.

If we won you won't be saying it shouldn't have been that close.
    Last edited by BlazingBolt; 09-20-2017, 02:05 PM.
    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

No one play costs a team the game until it does.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
        Gwynning_Spirit commented
        Editing a comment
        additionally, barf :barf:
        Last edited by Gwynning_Spirit; 09-20-2017, 05:23 PM. Reason: barf?
    • Concudan
      Bhi craic agus ceol again
      Generous Donor
      • Jun 2017
      • Principal Quality Engineer
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
      I agree we disagree. The whole "no one play cost us the game" mantra people parade out there after one play costs them the game is simply trying to make one feel better about losing, either the one saying it or it's just a way to avoid throwing one guy under the bus and not making him feel so bad about costing his team the game. This is about feelings and wanting to say we could have done more so it didn't come down to that play. The problem I have is that in actual reality you didn't do more and it did come down to that one play.

One play can and does actually cost team games and it is just as easy to say and more true to admit that not one other play needed to be made except the one that cost the team the game. All that needed to change was Koo makes that kick and everything is different.....no one at that point is worried about feelings and they definitely don't say "it shouldn't have come down to that one play" no one is saying "we should have made more plays so it didn't come down to that".

If he makes the kick everything that came before it has a positive spin, since he misses it has a negative spin. The only difference between winning and losing was making or missing that kick and the game actually did come down to that one play.

NFL games are actually often that close whether you think they should or shouldn't be.

If we won you won't be saying it shouldn't have been that close.

Comment

• Concudan
        Generous Donor
        • Jun 2017
        • Send PM

Comment

• Budsman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

I'm very happy that people on this forum are not the Chargers GM. Knee jerk reactions are rarely the best. lol will be fine, the sky isn't falling, calm down Francis.

Comment

• blueman
            blueman commented
            Editing a comment
            Post of the month, if not the year.
        • BlazingBolt
          SLAM DUNK!
          • Jun 2013
          • East County San Diego
          • Bolt fanatic
          • Send PM

It was a knee jerk reaction to dump Novak.

Novak was a better kicker than Lambo both years since we dumped him even if he did regress a bit.

Lambo wasn't a great kicker but he wasn't a disaster and still had potential to improve. It didn't appear that he was clearly beaten out so perhaps the knee jerk reaction was going with an undrafted free agent rookie kicker based on some practice kicks.

They definitely weren't the best reactions and show once again a trend of Telesco making a position on the team progressively worse which is the opposite of his job.

Comment

• Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

I agree in hindsight but I know a lot of people were high on lambo, not just the chargers.

i applaud telesco for trying to upgrade a position with a potential long term high level solution. He took a shot at a potential Vinateri and it didn't work out. I think being proactive in that way is better than sitting in a known average.

the pats don't win their super bowls with Novak kicking.
            Last edited by Budsman; 09-21-2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• Highboltage
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Dude is 1 for 4.......I don't think it's hard to find a kicker than can do better than 25%

Missing two kicks under 45 yards in a game is below NFL standards for the bad kickers.

Missing those kicks 100% caused us to lose.......he makes either kick and we win.

There are lots of kickers that could have done better than Koo who has been a complete disaster to this point.
              And only 2 of those are his fault. The blocked kick wasn't on him. 1 bad game, if he has 2 something needs to be done..

Comment

• Concudan
                Generous Donor
                • Jun 2017
                • Send PM

There is hope...
                "According to Elias Sports Bureau, in the last 20 years kickers such as Randy Bullock, Matt Prater, Michael Koenen, Neil Rackers and David Akers have gone on to have productive NFL careers after starting off 1-for-4 on field-goal attempts."

Comment

• RTPbolt
                  Charger Fan till the end
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Carolina
                  • Send PM

Novak had some struggles too...he had to get back to mechanics to build his repetition....im sure Koo will be wotking on what caused him to mishit

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                    SLAM DUNK!
                    • Jun 2013
                    • East County San Diego
                    • Bolt fanatic
                    • Send PM

Of course there is hope for the guy. First Charger game I ever went to John Carney missed 3 field goals off the Padres infield dirt in a 3 point loss and he turned out pretty good.

I just think that clearly it was a mistake to keep Koo over Lambo to this point. We didn't see a clear winner or even realize there was a true kicking competition happening. If they really felt Lambo needed to be replaced they should have tried harder than just signing an undrafted rookie free agent and cutting the veteran. Even if Koo has been a great practice kicker they didn't even properly test him in pre-season (partially because the offense was so bad there weren't many kicks to go around maybe) and when he was tested he promptly failed.

Comment

• Budsman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Of course there is hope for the guy. First Charger game I ever went to John Carney missed 3 field goals off the Padres infield dirt in a 3 point loss and he turned out pretty good.

I just think that clearly it was a mistake to keep Koo over Lambo to this point. We didn't see a clear winner or even realize there was a true kicking competition happening. If they really felt Lambo needed to be replaced they should have tried harder than just signing an undrafted rookie free agent and cutting the veteran. Even if Koo has been a great practice kicker they didn't even properly test him in pre-season (partially because the offense was so bad there weren't many kicks to go around maybe) and when he was tested he promptly failed.
                      That seems reasonable but...

Comment

Working...
                      X