• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinabolt
    Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
    • Feb 2015
    • Send PM

Yesterday and this morning I just rewatched some of our games from last year. It make me think maybe Gordon's health haven't fully recover, and he's just gutting it out and playing on 60% strength right now, afraid to provoke the injury and miss the season.

Last year he was pretty elusive, and was jumping over tackler, juke them out, push them down in the open field, pretty good at running through the line when there's a hole. The line was very bad last year. You just don't suddenly become going down that easy in 1 season, especially with how hard he has been working all offseason and camps, according to Lynn and others, he has been one of the hardest workers in the training room. So laziness and regressing aren't the questions here. There are no other explanation.
    Last edited by vinabolt; 11-28-2017, 10:33 AM.
    Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

I would argue that when you get a good running back that contributes significantly you extend them because they can be a difference maker. Based off their rookie seasons I would argue that Dalvin Cook, Kareem Hunt, Leonard Fourentte, and Alvin Kamara are players that should deserve second contracts if they continue their production into future seasons. Likewise, I would argue that third year player Todd Gurley will deserve a second contract because he's producing to a high level like he did as a rookie. So I am not against extending a running back to a second contract when they have proven themselves to be a difference maker, however I would say that outside of his second season, Gordon hasn't proven himself to be a difference maker on a consistent enough basis to deserve a second contract. Perhaps that could change before that decision needs to be made, but currently I would say it is likely we will move on from Gordon rather than extend him.

As for third contracts those running backs are typically rare. If a player enters the league at 22 years old and has two four year contracts that puts them at 29 or 30 years old. Unless they've been very consistent like Frank Gore with the 49ers or Adrian Peterson with the Vikings, they tend not to get that final extension with their existing team because it will take them past that age which most backs start to decline. However, if you get a back like Frank Gore I would say it is very difficult not to extend someone like that when they continue to produce significantly each season.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Mike View Post

I would argue that when you get a good running back that contributes significantly you extend them because they can be a difference maker. Based off their rookie seasons I would argue that Dalvin Cook, Kareem Hunt, Leonard Fourentte, and Alvin Kamara are players that should deserve second contracts if they continue their production into future seasons. Likewise, I would argue that third year player Todd Gurley will deserve a second contract because he's producing to a high level like he did as a rookie. So I am not against extending a running back to a second contract when they have proven themselves to be a difference maker, however I would say that outside of his second season, Gordon hasn't proven himself to be a difference maker on a consistent enough basis to deserve a second contract. Perhaps that could change before that decision needs to be made, but currently I would say it is likely we will move on from Gordon rather than extend him.

As for third contracts those running backs are typically rare. If a player enters the league at 22 years old and has two four year contracts that puts them at 29 or 30 years old. Unless they've been very consistent like Frank Gore with the 49ers or Adrian Peterson with the Vikings, they tend not to get that final extension with their existing team because it will take them past that age which most backs start to decline. However, if you get a back like Frank Gore I would say it is very difficult not to extend someone like that when they continue to produce significantly each season.
        Last edited by Panamamike; 11-28-2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• chargerkdb
          Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Hotter than hell, Georgia
          • Send PM

Comment

• madcaplaughs
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Gorden's a good back. He's coming on in the passing game, and is part of the reason the passing game is working well. He's a threat, and opposing defenses know it. He'll get his big runs down the road as the line solidifies the best it can, with marginal talent. I think it's important to count his total yards, rather than his average when running the ball. The more we use the pass to set up the run, the better he'll be. Hopefully next year with a healthy Lamp, and potentially more talent on the line, we'll see his full potential.

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

I agree Madcap. Fix the bloody run blocking line first before throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Gordon can improve yes but the line still is well below avg run blocking and avg pass blocking. We still need a few more cogs on that line and im not sure how much longer Slausen has left in him if he returns.

that said id like either Gordon to be coached to be more north south minded on short yardage plays vs dancing looking for a hole. Id like to put him into patterns more as a receiver too like we did with LT. Put him and Ekeler out there together. Both are dynamic so get them open.

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
                THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
                Generous Donor
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

They said on a recent broadcast that he has a lingering turf toe issue.

It seems like the 'first guy' always gets him, whether that be at the LOS or 25 yards downfield. I can't really tell why that is the case.
                NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by KYBoltsFan View Post
                  They said on a recent broadcast that he has a lingering turf toe issue.

It seems like the 'first guy' always gets him, whether that be at the LOS or 25 yards downfield. I can't really tell why that is the case.
                  I just think he doesn't have great balance and he seems to have a long stride so it's easy to trip him up.

Comment

• Charged4Life
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I just think he doesn't have great balance and he seems to have a long stride so it's easy to trip him up.
                    Yeah, it seems like Melvin Gordon is playing the wrong position. WR might fit his running style better.

Comment

• vinabolt
                      Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                      • Feb 2015
                      • Send PM

Gordon was pretty balance at Wisconsin, enough last year. He didn't have any balance problem in his rookie year, that year he just hesitate too much and there were no hole to run.

Try to run balance with your toe injured. I also have to think they've not fully disclose all info on the injury and the true severity of it. He's just gutting it out right now, playing with pain and either unable or doesn't try hard to juke people and break tackles like he did in just last year. It's not like his abilities we've seen was a distance past and he's washed up or something.

People have short memory around here. Last year he was going to be the next great back. This year he has been injured with more severe than the past, he has been taking it easy and playing soft to avoid an out-of-season injury. And suddenly the guy can't run and need to be replace next year. WTF.

The guy was a top pick, was a Pro Bowler, let him have at least a few years before talking about "replacement". The guy is young and work hard. It's not like he's been partying and doesn't work, or an old and washed guy, or he made the Pro Bowl 10 years ago. He was a Pro Bowler just last year. Pro Bowl is overrated but when you made the Pro Bowl at least you were a good player.
                      Last edited by vinabolt; 11-29-2017, 10:35 PM.
                      Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Gordon's special qualities as a runner stem from great acceleration, and the way he hit the holes at full speed at Wisconsin.

With us he never knows if the holes are going to be there, so there is some hesitation. Now, with the toe injury the last few weeks, the acceleration is not necessarily there, even if the blocking eventually develops.

He may be getting better since he had decent runs in the 2nd half of the Dallas game. Dallas spent a lot of time stunting and slanting in a loaded box to keep us from running, and Rivers made them pay. But it is still hard to force runs in situations where you would rather run than pass when the other team has the numbers game going their way.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                          Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                          • Send PM

Comment

• OhioBolt
                            OhioBolt commented
                            Editing a comment
                            For most case I would say you are correct, Ron Dayne, Micheal Bennett, Montee Ball, have been bust and the Melvin Gordon to be determine but not performing like you would like for a 1st round pick. If you draft Wisconson products you should go for their Offensive line.
                        Working...
                        X