Editing a comment
      I know I know, please please please..
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    We all know our line is not very good at run blocking. Yet Ekeler averaged 5.5 yards per carry behind the same line that Gordon averaged 3.9 yards per carry behind. I'm not saying that Ekeler is better than Gordon, just pointing out the huge disparity in average yards between the two. It's not all on the line.
    Yeah but under the same circumstances would it be 5.5? I doubt it. Ekeler is a shifty runner though.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yeah but under the same circumstances would it be 5.5? I doubt it. Ekeler is a shifty runner though.
      Not at all. But Ekeler seems much decisive than Gordon and appears to hit the hole faster.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Comparing the two back is difficult. Gordon is a power runner who does his best work running behind pulling OL. Ekeler is more of a zone runner and draws guy. Part of why he is getting so many more yards per carry is that defenses are not spending the time in alignments that are built to stop those quick type of blocking schemes. The quick-hitting nature of Ekelers runs favor that, but it is not something you would necessarily duplicate if you scale it up. There is also the fact that our OL is more a group of pull and lead types. They do a better job of blocking power scheme.

Ekeler is not ready to be anything more than a part-time player. His pass protection needs a lot of work, and that will continue to limit his playing time. His immaturity (think the pass he caught and didn't go down inside the last few seconds and ran out the clock) and critical mistakes show that he needs work.

Comment

• BoltBacker
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Las Vegas, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Not at all. But Ekeler seems much decisive than Gordon and appears to hit the hole faster.
          Ekeler does not have the big play potential of Gordon. From 1-5 yds Ekeler is right there but Gordon has the ability to bust the big plays. When holes are present Gordon explodes through gaps and with improved line play MG will exploit defenses with big runs similar to what Gurley did this year.

Comment

• chargerkdb
            Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Hotter than hell, Georgia
            • Send PM

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Gordon won me over a bit more as the season wore on. I thought he ran the ball really hard.

I still wish he wouldn't get tackled when there's one guy to beat...or get tripped up so much below the knee..

But he is pretty good. He's not Leveon Bell, but who is... he's a solid back.
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
              X