• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

He looks kind of straight line-ish, and slow in his cuts. He loses a lot of speed when he cuts in the open field. They also aren't really dramatic, barry sanders or LT like cuts, that generate a lot of separation. He is also a guy who builds his speed, rather than being 100 mph out of the gate. Some of that may be that he has good speed and his acceleration last long because he has a high top end, but it doesn't really looks like it.

He does have great speed. In one of the highlights, he runs 68 yards for a TD against Indiana, and just blows right past the Indiana FS who has a nice pursuit angle to start with, but Hansbrough just runs right past him. On his highlights, he just blows right past people. I don't see a lot in the highlights that gets me all that excited about him as a runner, but that kind of speed might be useful on ST, maybe even as a return guy. He has the size to be a lane guy, maybe even a gunner on kickoffs. I think the acceleration is far more important than pure speed. Guys like Emmitt Smith and Wes Welker both broke a ton of long plays in the NFL because they had great acceleration and inital quickness. Still long speed is nice if you can get it. It does seem like his long speed is the only thing he has going for him. He looks like a lot of the old option RB who could never make the transition to pro RB.

There have been a fair number of 5'9", 5-10" RB in the NFL before. He has a thick build, even though he is not real heavy, just because he is shorter. Almost all college RB improve their ability to run with power as they get bigger and stronger in an NFL weight program. There are just limits, so if he goes down really easily, you cannot make the guy a into the next John Riggins. But as far as build and durability, there are not obvious marks against him.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

This Penn State RB looks amazing. Havent watched much College ball this year tho.
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

The only question I have about Barkley is how well does he do when plays don't go as planned? Most of the plays I see him do with Penn State, he hits the hole just like it is drawn up. Classic I formation power runs or option/zone reads. He doesn't strike me as being a zone style runner who makes reads and the slashing cuts inline or a guy like Barry Sanders and LT who can make a lot happen even if there is nothing there. I'm not saying he can't do it, just that with the OL Penn State has right now, he can just hit the run path and head for the end zone.

He is a very low risk guy because he can return kicks and could be a great recevier out of the backfield or the slot. Good power and great balance. He needs to stop leaping quite so much, or some NFL LB is going to shot put him into the stands, but there is not much that he can't do.

Comment

• Pointyearedog
          Humble Chargers Fan
          • May 2017
          • Golden Hill
          • Medical Devices Operations
          • Send PM

So we have Gordon, and he is questionable? Who else don't we have?
          "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." --Frank Zappa

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Per media reports, Gordon will play, just don't know for how long. We know that Ekeler can't carry the ball, so they need Hansbrough as the second backup to Gordon.

Comment

Working...
              X