Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Charger free agents

Who do you want back from this list?

Unrestricted free agents: LB Jerry Attaochu, S Tre Boston, QB Kellen Clemens, TE Jeff Cumberland, TE Antonio Gates, T Chris Hairston, K Nick Novak, T Michael Ola, RB Branden Oliver, DT Tenny Palepoi, T Michael Schofield, G Matt Slauson, LB Korey Toomer, G Kenny Wiggins.

Restricted free agents: WR Geremy Davis, LB Nick Dzubnar, DE Chris McCain, TE Sean McGrath, S Adrian Phillips, RB Andre Williams, WR Tyrell Williams

Exclusive free agents: RB Russell Hansbrough, Trevor Williams
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Comment

• Rugger05
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I would want the following back in this order:

1) Tyrell Williams- Put a high tender on him and try to workout a 4 year deal with him. He improved as the season went along, but I would not break the bank for him

2) Chris McCain--Pretty much the same as TWill situation. Good 3rd pass rusher behind Bosa & Ingram

3) Adrian Phillips--For some reason it seems like he has been on this team forever. Came into his own this year under Bradley. Same situation as the two above

4) Tre Boston--Started playing better as the year went on, he could be upgraded but I would rather save the draft picks/FA money to spend on LB's interior DL, and oline. Maybe get him to sign a 3 year deal.

5) Antonio Gates--Sounds like he might want to come back for another run, if he is willing to take a team friendly deal he proved over the last 2 games he still has something left in the tank.

The biggest thing the Chargers need to do this offseason is work out a contract extension with Casey Hayward, they cannot let him play out the final year of his contract.

Sign in to your Spotrac Premium account to gain access to complete info, unique tools, and more!

Looks like the Chargers will have around $37,000,000 in cap space going into next year which should give them some flexibility in that regard

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Bolded:

Unrestricted free agents: LB Jerry Attaochu, S Tre Boston, QB Kellen Clemens, TE Jeff Cumberland, TE Antonio Gates, T Chris Hairston, K Nick Novak, T Michael Ola, RB Branden Oliver, DT Tenny Palepoi, T Michael Schofield, G Matt Slauson, LB Korey Toomer, G Kenny Wiggins.

Restricted free agents: WR Geremy Davis, LB Nick Dzubnar, DE Chris McCain, TE Sean McGrath, S Adrian Phillips, RB Andre Williams, WR Tyrell Williams

Comment

• Heatmiser
          Heatmiser commented
          Editing a comment
          Me, too. In fact, I think this is a pretty easy list to make a decision on. Only other consideration is adding either Hairston or Schofield as cheap swing OL.

The harder decision is cutting players under contract. Liguet, Barksdale, etc.

Isn't Verret a FA, too?

• Bolt-O
          Bolt-O commented
          Editing a comment
          The team chose to exercise the 5th year option on Verrett. $8.526M, guaranteed on first day of the 2018 league year.
          Last edited by Bolt-O; 01-03-2018, 12:20 PM.

• oneinchpunch
          oneinchpunch commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't bring back Gates. Man, I hate saying that. I also bring back Dzubnar
      • foreigner
        Tom Telesco is gone
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

For Gates is comeback or retire... simple as that, he played in a wonderful way the last games, he still has gas on his tank. He will be our secret weapon next year. One-Trick veteran who will gets us real far in the post season.

Comment

• vinabolt
          Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
          • Feb 2015
          • Send PM

What I love about Gates is that as a former basketball player, he sure loves to play this game. You can see that he love to play, period. Gates and Rivers just genuinely love to play the game. Other players already hang it up years ago after years of collecting paychecks.
          Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• vinabolt
            Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
            • Feb 2015
            • Send PM

Injuries can be overcome. Injury prone players can be special.

It was a long road back, but Allen returned with a vengeance, appearing in all 16 games this season. Not only that, he authored the greatest receiving season in Chargers history, setting a franchise record in catches (102) and the second-most receiving yards (1,393). He also set a new record for catches on third down, hauling in a league-leading 36 in the clutch.
            Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• OhioBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I pretty much agree with all the players stated except Tre Boston he misses way too many tackles.

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
                I pretty much agree with all the players stated except Tre Boston he misses way too many tackles.
                I like Boston, he will be 26 YOld next June, still pretty young and still learning, I hope he is a priority
                Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Attack
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                  I agree with the list, but would also bring back Schofield. I think he is as capable (or nearly) as Barksdale, and would be less of a cap hit if Barksdale is let go. As for Gates, I'd like to bring him back at a cap friendly number, but wouldn't be disappointed if he decided to hang it up and ride off toward Canton. I really don't think he has much left in the tank, as was shown throughout the season; he did have a nice last game or two, but was that due to weak defenses or Gates playing really well?

I'd like to upgrade the S position, and specifically the position Adrian Phillips played, as I have mentioned before that I don't think he is that good of a player. He could be a backup, but not a long term starter. Maybe R. Jenkins could be that guy.

Comment

• Attack
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post

I would want the following back in this order:

1) Tyrell Williams- Put a high tender on him and try to workout a 4 year deal with him. He improved as the season went along, but I would not break the bank for him

2) Chris McCain--Pretty much the same as TWill situation. Good 3rd pass rusher behind Bosa & Ingram

3) Adrian Phillips--For some reason it seems like he has been on this team forever. Came into his own this year under Bradley. Same situation as the two above

4) Tre Boston--Started playing better as the year went on, he could be upgraded but I would rather save the draft picks/FA money to spend on LB's interior DL, and oline. Maybe get him to sign a 3 year deal.

5) Antonio Gates--Sounds like he might want to come back for another run, if he is willing to take a team friendly deal he proved over the last 2 games he still has something left in the tank.

The biggest thing the Chargers need to do this offseason is work out a contract extension with Casey Hayward, they cannot let him play out the final year of his contract.

Sign in to your Spotrac Premium account to gain access to complete info, unique tools, and more!

Looks like the Chargers will have around $37,000,000 in cap space going into next year which should give them some flexibility in that regard
                    Is it my imagination, or did McCain'sproduction significantly drop off in the second half of the year? It just seems like he wasn't nearly as effective in the second half of the season. Or was it a product of the design of the defense?

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      Who do you want back from this list?

OK, there is really no reason we can't have everyone back, if we want them.

Boston is the one guy who might be in demand. He was a promising player who never really caught on in Carolina, but then ended up fitting in our defense pretty well. He is a good S. He isn't the next coming of Eric Weddle in his prime. Just plain good. If he wants a contract that breaks the bank, let him walk. But he has to know that he was not a great fit to the Carolina D, and the same thing can happen in a lot of other defenses. Our D fits him pretty well, and he seems to be on the NFL Network a lot, and they are based in LA.

Gates could get expensive, and that would be a shame. But I think he knows the deal. He had an excellent attitude since last off-season, and he knows the score. I want to see him retire a Charger and that means he is going to get paid relatively little and go backseat, and I think he will be fine with that.

Wiggins is the next best guy, and I think he is worth keeping, but he is only a good OG, and there are a fair number of them around. I think he is the one guy who we might lose because it would be hard for a guy like that to pass up a big contract and the way some OL have been getting paid, he could command a pretty high salary. If we lose him, it's a shame, but we have others guys.

I like Toomer, and he has the tools to be a outstanding LB, but he is very up and down. I would like to see them try him at OTTO, but he could be a good backup/marginal starter who competes for playing time. He also should be pretty cheap.

No one else is going to cost us anything to sign. If they sign with another team, it is because there is a better opportunity to play in a better/different scheme that fits them better.

Comment

Working...
                      X