• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Cable has been a big zone blocking fan since well before Seattle. He came out of that group that did a lot to incorporate zone concepts into spread offense at Idaho (as a player), and then he coached what he knew.

All pro teams run a mix of zone and power plays. Any sort of power counter play, with most of the OL blocking down, and then a pulling OL coming back across is a terrific complimentary play to outside zone. The best way to beat outside zone is to have the De or OLB run the play down from behind, but the counter play gives an easy block to the pulling OL coming back across the formation. Joe Gibbs only ran 2 run plays in his offense (outside zone and counter trey), they compliment each other so well.

If nothing else pro teams need to learn enough of both power and zone to be able to run an effective scout team.

I think the bigger issue that is lost on many people is that while Downing was kinda Schoziod with the Raiders play calling, part of the problem was getting Marshawn Lynch. He is a really good zone runner. See his uneven work as a runner in Buffalo for his success in a scheme that uses more power. Knock the OL all you want, they didn't play well. But it wasn't all ideology that made them switch to zone.

The point made about Cable being a scheme guy is well taken. See Norv Turners work as an HC as an example. Guys who get stuck on schemes often screw things up more than they help, which is what I am hoping happens this year.

I think the bigger issue may be that Cable just seems to have lost his touch lately. Coaches do. He had a lot of say in who the Seahawks went after in FA and the draft and over the last couple of years he never was able to turd polish his way into a decent OL, which is a shame given that he was actually given much better resources than most turd polishers are given.

Comment

• bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

The Raiders seem to do this a lot......McFadden comes to mind trying to jam him into the zone blocking scheme when he was more successful in power blocking schemes

also there was the Larry Brown the Cowboy MVP who was primarily a zone cover DB who got thrust into the Raiders man to man scheme and failed miserably
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Like us and Gordon?

It happens to a lot of teams. They want good players but when push comes to shove, schemes are about the entire team. You can't just throw one guy in and expect everyone else to adjust if their strengths are something else. Then someone bitches and everyone has egg on their faces.

Lynch was a great RB in the day, but there doesn't appear to have been much thought about how they were going to use him. He is not a good power (scheme) runner, yet that is what their OL is good at.

Comment

• bonehead
          bonehead commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m sure Lynch is happy about the new blocking scheme ... he is getting older though
      • Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Its all about acquiring player that ft your scheme. Even if they are not the best player available.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Didn't seem like Gruden was too happy with him when he did that last Monday night game vs Philly. Sounded like he wasn't going to put up with Marshawn's nonsense.

FWIW, I think Cable is a good OL coach. Not great, but good. IF we didn't have someone, I think he would have been worth considering. But we did, so it was never a question.
          Last edited by Steve; 01-15-2018, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X