• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HoneDogNoglet
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Project Matthews

I think he gets about 1,000yds with 6tds this year, but it won't seem like it because he'll actually break a couple. Another couple hundred yards and a TD receiving.

He looks pretty talented with the ball in his hands to me and might benefit from a new approach. I think we should only expect 2 downs from him and only have him in to run it or to play action fake run to him. This way we don't deal with the Matthews who doesn't have the ball in his hands, run it or be an option for Rivers out of the backfield. Pretty sure that Woodhead was brought in for 3rd down and to avoid having Matthews on the field when we are no longer a running team during the game. I'm going to assume based on nothing that we value trying to establish the run in every game. Just give it a try on a hunch or something. And also that we will find a roll that will keep him off the field when he won't be effective. Having a talented reliable lead back might be important this year so I hope he doesn't get hurt. I hope a new coaching staff results in a team that no longer resembles the recent past. That Matthews running through opposing defenses when we are not behind becomes the visual confirmation. This would be cool.

Pure fantasy being a projection and all, but I'll go ahead and project what may come across as a best case. I mean assuming he finishes the season we get 900 and 5 at least, right? Don't we?

Would that projection along with Brown and Woodhead staying healthy all year be enough in 2013? Is there another name that we should be counting on this year? McClain?

What does the board project in regards to Matthews?
  • cyberbolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I don't think we can count on Mathews to do jack fucking shit, I have no confidence in him.

Comment

• Memonybolt
      • Jul 2013
      • New York city
      • Send PM

Too early to tell IMO. The roster is still not set as in we are not sure who will play RG and if McClain will even be around to block. Also, we have samples of MM as an OC but never a HC and we have seen what KW called as OC in Pitt, but I have no idea of what they will try and call in SD. On the positive side, Willis Macghee (or however it's spelled) looked good with MM as OC in DEN and even Moreno had a couple of good games, so, I think the staff will be able to make good use of RM but RM probably won't be a big factor in the pass game stats because of Woodhead.
      Memohm1976 on espn

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Anything we get out of him on the field is a bonus. Other than turnovers, missed blocks, and injuries that is...
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Screeme
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I would be wary of giving up on him early. Guys on this board would have given up on Sproles after three seasons, too. The team *DID* give up on Brees. I'm not saying Mathews is going to be Darren, or turn his career around like Drew... and we're getting close to make or break time to be sure.

But it is early to dub him a complete waste of space. He has shown his talent, and even made a Pro Bowl (we all seem to forget). Sometimes it takes a few years to really put it all together. Hopefully this will be the case. If he turns out to be Mr. Glass, so be it... but at this point, he's done enough to at least give us some hope he'll turn out.

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

We really have no choice but to hope he gets his shit together. Him being successful gives us the best chance to win this year and next.

I'm just not invested in him as prior years. I'm hoping Michael Hill can have a Foster type impact (pipe dream I know).

Comment

• pumpkinhead80

Originally posted by cyberbolt View Post
              I don't think we can count on Mathews to do jack fucking shit, I have no confidence in him.
              exactly.

i project at some point he will break his dick. that's about all we can count on.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

If form holds true he will have a good enough year this year and next, not be resigned and go on to be very productive after leaving the farm.
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Like a reconditioned lemon with low mileage?
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I still have high hopes for Mathews. He has so much talent but displays the same issues he did when he was drafted.
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• pumpkinhead80

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                      I still have high hopes for Mathews. He has so much talent but displays the same issues he did when he was drafted.
                      when did you see this talent exactly? that sets him apart? all i've seen when healthy as a c+ running back

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by pumpkinhead80 View Post
                        when did you see this talent exactly? that sets him apart? all i've seen when healthy as a c+ running back
                        I see him as a D because of his blocking, body lean and awareness. But when he does find the hole he runs very well and is a decent receiver
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                        X