• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I see a young pup who has maturity issues that are keeping him from being any better of a player than he was as a rookie.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Hard to know what the hell we have in him because of all the injuries. I saw small glimpses of brilliance and then a lot of negativity as well.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be much improvement from his first year though. Was that on him or Norv though? The O line clearly played a factor as well.

I will say that I am trying to get him for dirt cheap in a fantasy league. There's upside if McCoy can get similar production from what he got out of Knowshon Moreno and Willis McGahee. Both were pretty similarly shitty prior to solid performance last season.

Comment

• pumpkinhead80

he could easily be replaced any year in the draft, and likely be upgraded. tons of teams snatch people out of the draft and even undrafted that are far superior. with rb's you get a sure thing out of the draft(LT) or a crap shoot. if your roll doesn't work out, just grab another and try again. the sure things are few and far between. but don't stick with a dud for too long, it just hurts you and your progression.

Comment

• HoneDogNoglet
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Poor guy, not a lot of optimism when his name is brought up. If not him I hope somebody goes for at least 1000 and 6 on this team. I would prefer to watch a single beast as opposed to a couple guys going for 500 each. Not to say if the latter is bringing home wins I wont be happy.

Comment

• homeless simpson
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

when people talked about how the additions to the OL, and the new schemes will help improve our running game, use a run first mentality to help Rivers....which rb on the roster were they expecting to be running behind the improved run OL and playcalling? you have to hope Mathews is the guy because there isn't anybody on the roster that you can say will "benefit from the new OL/schemes/playcalling".

as far as our HC/OC helping the run game, McCoy's best runners in denver were McGahee/Buckhalter (who were already fairly established rbs) didn't really get as much from Moreno (comparative talent-wise to Mathews) except Moreno's rookie year, and 600 yrds form Tebow running the option. Whisenhunt's cards got "decent" production from their running game, but his best rb in AZ was Edgerrin James first season as a Card, and Beanie Wells has had Mathews level numbers during his time there.

Comment

• Thunder Thighs
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I have a good feeling about Mathews this year, with Norv Turner out of the picture no longer calling "run middle" all of the time. I also like that Mathews could be running behind 4 guys who weigh 320 or more. That's a lot of cushion for the pushin'.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I hope he turns it around, but im not expecting him to.
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• homeless simpson
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

unless someone from the fodder backs (Baker, whitaker, Gronk, Hill) steps up or surprises as showing at least a 500yrd potential, we're going to be stuck with hoping Mathews really steps up...or a lame running back by committee approach

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Untill RM can pass block on third down and show the durrability nessisary to be a cowbell running back, it is runningback by committee.
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Big Dog
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I get down on Mathews too, he has a hard time staying healthy and I think he needs to be mentally tougher, I think he is kind of dumb (didn't know the playbook well enough) and not dedicated/professional enough (came in out of shape one year and was gassed in the gassers), he is immature and says the right stuff but he does not DO the right stuff.

But he has the talent, he is explosive (unreal explosiveness), has outstanding balance (still remember his 1st run in pre-season against the Bears and he keeps going after Urlacher had he for no yards, gains yards after 1st contact and runs well in space ... a real natural runner ... And while it is easy to forget, there are not 5 other RB's in the NFL who can do this, after partying til 3 am the night before at Pacific Beach ...

Oh yeah and gets more yards/TD's AFTER solid contact ...
                      Last edited by Big Dog; 07-06-2013, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Yea some nice highlight's there. Ideally we see them on a weekly basis. I wonder if we will actually be able to run it in the red zone this season. It's a big piece that has been missing from the offense and is quite embarrassing to be frank.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                          I see a young pup who has maturity issues that are keeping him from being any better of a player than he was as a rookie.
                          He certainly hasn't done faintly enough to warrant the hype and draft position, but his conditioning is vastly improved from early on, so at least he has learned something. For me, it's the injuries that he has to overcome. What are the chances of any player ever breaking both collar bones in one season? I am guessing (hoping?) he has a solid year this season.

Comment

Working...
                          X