Clear All
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    The problem with inside rushers getting a lot of sacks is that it is harder to beat the guy opposite cleanly. Say Reyes or Liuget lines up as a 3 technique DT over the OG, if they go outside the OT is there, if they goes inside the C is.

Watt got alot of sacks because the OT always had to slide out to block the OLB rushing on his side, so he had a lot more space on his side to work in. Basically, if he beats the OG to the outside, then he only has to beat the OG, and Watt is a lot more athletic then most OG. But he did get a lot of those sacks because they had a good (not great) rush from the OLB. OLB help off the edge also diverts some help from chipping/blocking TE and RB away from Watt, so he is singled up more then you would expect for a player of his caliber. It also doesn't hurt that Houston rushes 5 men (their 3 DL and both OLB) more than any other team in football, and they do it to force teams to block Watt man on man.

We may lack that outside rush, so I wouldn't be suprised if we didn't get that same type of production that Watt did, even though we have 2 inside pass rushers. We have to get the outside guys to force the OL to spread out and use protection on the edge. English needs to step up, and develop some outside rush. He doesn't have to be an all pro. He needs to be able to beat a TE or RB trying to block him, and force an OT to worry about him in space. We use the Pagano double A gap rushes so often, to force teams to block down and allow Reyes and Liuget to only have to beat single team blocks.

But it is not as good as having edge rushers who can force the OL to spread out and block man on man, because the OL still are close enough together to have extra arms and legs in the gaps so there is not enough room for our DL to slip through cleanly. We need the OLB to step up their game and get the rush off the edge and give Liuget and Reyes that chance to rush the QB.

Reyes also needs to improve as a run defender. He is pretty inconsistent in that area. There are plays when he really did well, but a bunch when he got knocked around. He can be very good, he just needs to become more consistent with his technique.
    It will be fun to see how Tenn deals with Watt in their division, now that they have beefed up their OL with good athletes.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      Texans dont exactly have studs at OLB. Better than us though. I agree though we would need to get better outside. Ingram is a good start going forward. I probably draft OL/OLB next year. Or at least i expect us to go that route.
      Personally I trade the farm to get Clowney next season. If all goes as planned this season and our young players pan out, we will be one pass rusher away from having a dominant defense.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
        Personally I trade the farm to get Clowney next season. If all goes as planned this season and our young players pan out, we will be one pass rusher away from having a dominant defense.

Hes a stud forsure. And the clear top pick in the draft. Thats tough though. Really need Rivers to stud out for another 5 years. TT said he would build the team through the draft. So i cant see him selling our picks for Clowney. I dont think we will even be in the top 5 this year.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

After Leaf, I don't trade the farm for anybody. The downside is just too big compared to the upside.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
            After Leaf, I don't trade the farm for anybody. The downside is just too big compared to the upside.
            Always a risk of course, but ask Redskins fans what they think about trading up for RG3. Clowney is a game changer. Pair him with our interior line + Ingram....opposing QB's can kiss their asses goodbye.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

It's risky with a qb, but insane with anybody else IMO. Refresh my mind, did the skins give up the farm or just a couple of cows?
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Rams received Washington's No. 6 and No. 39 overall picks in 2012, its No. 22 pick in 2013 and its first-round pick in 2014.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

JJ Watt/DaMarcus Ware would be #1 overall picks had teams known how dominant they would be. Yet there teams suffer because of QB play. OLB is a hugely important piece of the puzzle but you dont really see teams selling the farm for them. Comparing RG3 to an OLB is a tough debate. At the end of the day its about scoring points.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

While you have a point Fleet, how many 1st round busts do we see? Do you trade 3 potential stars/busts for a sure fire HOF player that you can build a defense around for a decade?

Clowney is the best defensive prospect in a decade IMO.

Like I said, we already have Rivers and he can produce for a few years IMO.
                    Last edited by Beerman; 07-08-2013, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Rams received Washington's No. 6 and No. 39 overall picks in 2012, its No. 22 pick in 2013 and its first-round pick in 2014.
                      That's the farm Let's hope he return to 100%.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

While you have a point Fleet, how many 1st round busts do we see? Do you trade 3 potential stars/busts for a sure fire HOF player that you can build a defense around for a decade?

Clowney is the best defensive prospect in a decade IMO.

Like I said, we already have Rivers and he can produce for a few years IMO.
                        What if he dosnt pan out. And you have a GM that states he wants to build the team through the draft? You now have to change that plan and spend money on players. Our stud teams were all about a stout Running game and great QB play. With a really solid group of OLBs. You trade the farm Clowney how do we go about bringing in playmakers on offense?

Id love to have him. But im not suer we are in good enough position to sell the farm for anybody. I would if we were already loaded like Seattle or San Fran maybe.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

There are no sure fire HOF players. But lots of coach killers.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X