• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

If you were a team who had a number #1 overall pick, would you trade away the 1st pick if you had a chance to get Clowney?

The thing you have to like about Clowney is that while he can run around people, he gets a lot of sacks and disruptive plays off shedding blocks and bull rushes. His technique needs a lot of work, but the kid has a knack for getting off blocks, making himself skinny and just making plays. Once his technique catches up, he could be unstoppable.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The link is for this years outback bowl, where South Carolina beat Michigan late to win. Clowney goes against Lewan most of the game, and Lewan gets the better of him for most of the game due to better technique. But it is pretty easy to project that if Clowney got a little better technique, Lewan would have gotten his ass kicked. And Lewan is an immediate starter at LT in the NFL.

I also think that game shows that if Clowney was able to stand up and see what was going on around him, he would be a better player. A lot of times Michigan schemed him, took advantage of his instincts, but in the NFL as a standup LB where he could see players around him, he would be tough to defend.
    Last edited by Steve; 07-08-2013, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      If you were a team who had a number #1 overall pick, would you trade away the 1st pick if you had a chance to get Clowney?
      Heh probably not. Would be a tough sell to the fan base given that most pundits are calling him the next Lawrence Taylor.

That being said, people are still predicting that Teddy Bridgewater goes first if it's a team that needs a QB.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

No i take Clowney.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

For 3 #1s and a 2 (like the RG3 trade), I trade the pick. Except for qb, the weak link hurts you more than the strong link helps you. Look at Williams in Buff, best DL in the league and hurt. Even RG3 is hurt and plays a style that exposes him to hits.
          Last edited by Formula 21; 07-08-2013, 05:09 PM.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

I don't like the QB in this draft class as much as I like Clowney. All of them are raw, but Clowney looks like he can be productive while he really develops his technique and learns to play pro ball, but he looks like a dominant defender once he learns to use his hands. The QB all have potential, but I don't like a lot of their decision making and downfield throwing. Too many times into traffic, too much emphasis on their legs.

But all of them really need to step up and play well. A QB who makes a lot of progress would change my mind, although if Clowney steps up and develops his hand use, then he could solidify the #1 spot too.

I think a lot of people assume a top QB in a draft class is necessarily going to be a franchise QB, which is something that is not necessarily true. The top QB in any given draft class (say this past one), but just be a backup or a marginal starter. It all depends on how well they read defenses and work on their footwork to be able to project into an NFL offense.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

I just think that if there's an opportunity to get a special player, you take it. (speaking of which watching the NFL's A football Life - Walter Payton). Like I said, Clowney is the best defensive prospect in over a decade. Dude is unreal.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

With the QBs expected to be in this draft id trade out of the #1 spot and let some other team take one. None are sure things like RG3. Of course thats also if Clowney isnt in the draft.

If Rivers sucks this year...and we were picking #1 overall...and both RG3 and Clowney were in the 2014 draft???

RG3 all day. At the ned of the day you have to score points.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

In case anyone forgot, Clowney is the guy (as a freshman) who forced Ingram to slide inside on passing downs.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Clowney is a beast and id love him...the question is would i mortgage the future on him. Would i trade 3 firsts for Watt or Ware?? Especially when this team needs so many drafted players to pan out? Its a tough decision for a new GM to make. It dosnt work out he probably gets fired and sets us back.

Again im just not sure the RG3/Clowney comparison was a good argument for selling the farm.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                      Go Aztecs and Pads
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Offensive line and defensive line

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

To me, Clowney would not only be a fantastic player in his own right, but a great compliment to Reyes, Liuget and Ingram. We need a guy who can really come off the edge, and bend the pocket around the back of the QB. Put Ingram on the strong side, Clowney on the weak side, and Reyes and Liuget up the middle.

A lot depends on what happens when games are played this year. If English plays reasonably well, we will have a hard time drafting anywhere near where Clowney could go. The QB may or may not step up their games, and maybe Clowney will drop. If all those things happen, then Mathews or Lewan may drop and we could get a top LT. But at this stage we have no idea how things will play out.

Comment

• Beerman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Eastlake
                          • Send PM

To me, Clowney would not only be a fantastic player in his own right, but a great compliment to Reyes, Liuget and Ingram. We need a guy who can really come off the edge, and bend the pocket around the back of the QB. Put Ingram on the strong side, Clowney on the weak side, and Reyes and Liuget up the middle.

A lot depends on what happens when games are played this year. If English plays reasonably well, we will have a hard time drafting anywhere near where Clowney could go. The QB may or may not step up their games, and maybe Clowney will drop. If all those things happen, then Mathews or Lewan may drop and we could get a top LT. But at this stage we have no idea how things will play out.

Comment

Working...
                          X