• Show
Clear All
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltFan84 View Post
    I like Addai, but he's still quite inexperienced and won't make the right reads all the time, and not physical enough against the run. Watching Gilchrist lately, he's made a lot of plays, and plugged holes, at line of scrimmage, and has covered TEs and receivers one-on-one. He's reading and reacting much better than earlier in the year.
    Doesn't he look better playing man to man (like a CB) and not back playing centerfield?

Comment

• BoltFan84
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
      Doesn't he look better playing man to man (like a CB) and not back playing centerfield?
      We really don't have any better player for other safety position than Gilchrist. He might not be fast enough to be pure cover guy, and using him in the slot as nickel CB, will keep a good player off the field for many plays. If Gilchrist keeps developing at his current position, he will be pretty good safety for the Chargers.

Comment

• Hard Charger
        Chargers fan since 1977!
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

The defense did a great job last night. I hope this is a sign.

HC

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

I'm happy the D has finally stopped playing two hand touch.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• KNSD
            Registered Charger Hater
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

One last bump so you can clear your conscious of all that negative juju.
            Prediction:
            Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
            Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
            Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Zot
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post
              The first 15 minutes of the game were not this defenses best effort. But the last 45 may have been. I'm not going to apologize for saying this defense has sucked when they, in fact, sucked.. but they definitely deserve credit for continuing to improve and played one hell of a game tonight!
              Took a while, but this is one I agree with.

They deserve credit. They looked like a defense

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

I really hope they keep Gilchrist in the slot and leave Addae at S. Assuming Patrick is healthy next week, you can put him outside and put Marshal back on the bench.
                Last edited by Beerman; 12-14-2013, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

What about Steve Williams, our Cal Cb? He was liked by many as a press corner with quickness iirc.
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Williams isn't a press Cb. He is at his best playing off coverage. He reads and reacts well, but he is not physical. And that applies to both man and zone. He is a smallish guy, who reads and then reacts lightening fast. But don't expect him to disrupt routes, at least not until he improves his press technique and gets more physical. That is largely why he was available when we got him.

I prefer press CB, but if the guy can play off, then let him play off. There are guys who are effective playing off coverage, and Williams has a chance to be one of those guys. Marshall played a lot of man off coverage vs Denver, while most of the rest were up playing tighter press. The DC doesn't always specify how a DB plays. Most DC give their players some room to be themselves, there are just limits to how much they can do. So when he calls a man coverage, Wright will line up and press, and in the same coverage, Williams lines up 5 yards off. As long as he plays the technique well, it won't really matter in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                    X