• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

If LT is the best player available when we pick in those rounds im all for it. Do i think OT is the #1 priority? With the way Dunlap plays when hes healthy i feel OLB, SS and CB are higher priorities. Id like a stud SS so we can use Gilly back at CB. Draft a stud CB and that gives us 6 solid DBs.

1. OLB
    2. CB
    3. SS

Comment

• Buck
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Maybe our recent poor history of drafting OLBs and Secondary players is scaring me off.

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
        I like Trout, but Rinehart was pretty damn good too. No penalties either. I wouldn't mind resigning Rinehart and letting them battle it out. He obviously has the injury concerns which will keep his price tag very reasonable.

Clary I don't see being retained at his current price. It's entirely too high for his production. I would love a pay cut to keep him and that would allow us to draft a OG/C in the 3rd/4th round to groom behind him.

I wouldn't mind at all going into next season with our current crop of starters as long as they bolster the backups with fresh talent. Orhrnberger needs to go.
        I don't know why you would even still bring this up at this late stage. It's a foregone conclusion Clary will need to restructure to stay. He has a starting OT contract from being a starting OT. This year was his chance to show he could be an effective OG- and I think he has shown that. The team will certainly ask him to restructure to stay. Coach D has shown he can coach up most anyone which gives the team more leverage too. Rivers was another guy they hesitated on restructuring to see if he could rebound- he has- and will be another restructure target to free up $ for other signings.
        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• blahblahblah
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

I'm willing to give Dunlap a shot at staying healthy next year. A rookie LT is going to struggle anyway.

If Dunlap has more issues get the best LT FA in 2015.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Biggest needs in my book are OLB, NT, LT, CB, WR, OG, ILB if we cant resign Butler and if not the priority goes up,... and OC. Dunlap has exceeded expectations but i think a young LT who can be more long term with more upside would be great.

I dont think SS is a big priority but i would rather sign one in FA'cy. Will probably sign a OG in FA'cy as well.

I do like our RB's but id let Ronnie Brown go and id like to see us sign Toby Gerhart or Joique Bell.

Comment

• Guy Lombardo
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2013
              • Send PM

If you just look right now at our oline and what we have going into each game, the clear whole is backup center. That is of course right now, but I think center might be the biggest need. I'm of the opinion that as long as they continue to make the oline better, they can draft or sign at any of the positions on the offensive line, just get better and deeper. They way Joe D is coaching up these guys, I feel pretty good as long as he has enough pieces to work with across the whole line. Besides, it's not as if having a franchise all world OLT, means you are heading to the SB. The whole line needs to be solid.

The areas holding this team back right now is our pass rush, our DB's, no true NT and our lack of a second receiving threat to go opposite of Allen.

It's nearly impossible to get a good pass rusher on the FA market so that is my first choice if a good one is there in the first round.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

The biggest issue the line faces right now all deal with injuries as much as they do level of performance. Dunlap is becoming the guy everyone thought he was going to be his junior year at Auburn. But you have to wonder about the concussion thing. Reinhardt is playing as well as he ever has, but missed a lot of time. Troutman played pretty well, in what is really his rookie year, so he should continue to get better. Clary right now is still the key guy on our OL. He has filled in at OT, he has played well at OG, and basically only missed that short period of time the year we were 13-3. We really need the guy, if because he lines up every week, and we have too many other question marks. Fortunately, if you think about his contract, he is a smart guy and knows the deal. His contract is structured so that this is really his contract year. Yes, he has another year on the deal, but that deal screams to be redone. That is why it balloons like that. If he had developed into an elite RT, then he would have been fine, but even when he signed that deal, there wasn't much danger of that. So, this deal forces the team to redo the contract while he is still young enough to get a long term deal, with a bonus. And even after all that, we could use a developmental C, since Hardwick is over 30.

As far as the rest of the offensive needs, 2nd WR to stretch the field and open up things for the slot guys and TEs. We also need a blocking TE to help on goal lines. And if we get rid of McClain a FB to run the ISO-lead and or get in front of the outside zone plays.

On D, I don't think the NT thing hurts us as much as most think. The real issue is with our DL playing like a couple of dumb asses most of the time. When they get their heads on straight, the run D is OK, even with Cam at NT. And then what to do at OLB, which is mostly whether or not Kesier is going to develop into a starter or just be a quality backup.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  And then what to do at OLB, which is mostly whether or not Kesier is going to develop into a starter or just be a quality backup.
                  If this year (or even the past few years) showed us anything is that you cannot have enough depth at OLB. At one time we were down our top 4 OLB and it showed.

Comment

• SFW
                    PB Official Game Thread Starter
                    • Jul 2013
                    • NY
                    • USMC
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    If this year (or even the past few years) showed us anything is that you cannot have enough depth at OLB. At one time we were down our top 4 OLB and it showed.
                    In reality which team in the NFL could lose its top 4 OLB's and it not show? No team can create enough quality depth under a salary cap to sustain that many injuries to any one position. But I do agree with your sentiment about having better/more quality depth.
                    Last edited by SFW; 12-14-2013, 10:55 AM.
                    1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                    2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                    3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                    4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                    5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                    6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                    7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

When this "crap" oline has been healthy, the top OLBs we faced has been neutralized. We could get even better, sure, but pretty damn impressive in this league IMO.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Really, the OL was just in place for Houston. They really didn't all play at their final spots till then, and the few reps they did have together, they were just being tried here and there. So, now that they finally are together and getting the feel for playing with each other, they are coming together really well. I think this can be a great line, if 2 of the players can get past the injury issues.

Comment

• Beerman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Eastlake
                          • Send PM

There is definitely a lot to be said about continuity on the O line. Ideally we can retain everyone and build on the group with some solid rookies that can push these guys and build towards the future.

Comment

Working...
                          X