Clear All
  • SFW
    PB Official Game Thread Starter
    • Jul 2013
    • NY
    • USMC
    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
    Miller was the only guy they had to block. The rest of their DL and LBs were scrubs
    One week Telesco is an idiot for letting Phillips walk and then another week Phillips is a scrub that didn't need to blocked. I love the consistency and difference of opinions on this board.
    1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
    2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
    3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
    4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
    5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
    6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
    7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
      Any line will have issues blocking out Von Miller in the run game. He has vastly improved in that regard compared to his rookie season. Shit I think last year he was the 3rd best in that department in terms of yards gained when run at. He's an absolute beast running down the ball carrier from the weakside as well.

All in all the line was effective just enough. Hardly a dominant performance though like it was mentioned.
      Von Miler hasnt shown to be a good edge setter and we went at his side often. McCoy knows this and with Dunlap back, they exploided it. I mean he isnt as bad as Dummervil was at all but he can be run on.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
        One week Telesco is an idiot for letting Phillips walk and then another week Phillips is a scrub that didn't need to blocked. I love the consistency and difference of opinions on this board.
        I don't think anyone said he Tommy was an idiot for letting Phillips leave. Maybe Yuba said it but I didn't read his posts.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Philips has had his moments as a pass rusher, but he's been constantly run over in run defense as usual. It's been the same thing for the past 2 years. He's also still a giant douchebag as evidenced by his twitter account. I find it laughable the guy engages in twitter fights with fans.

@ShaunPhillips95

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
            Philips has had his moments as a pass rusher, but he's been constantly run over in run defense as usual. It's been the same thing for the past 2 years. He's also still a giant douchebag as evidenced by his twitter account. I find it laughable the guy engages in twitter fights with fans.

@ShaunPhillips95
            LOL, i never followed him so i dont see them.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              Von Miler hasnt shown to be a good edge setter and we went at his side often. McCoy knows this and with Dunlap back, they exploided it. I mean he isnt as bad as Dummervil was at all but he can be run on.
              The other reason to run at him is that he can chase almost any play down if you try and run away. He is just incredibly fast and makes a ton of tackles in pursuit. You play to the guys strength when you run away, and then he will make a play.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                LOL, i never followed him so i dont see them.
                Yea I don't either, there was a comment that got retweeted that caught my attention and I saw his feuding with some dude. Hardly surprising.

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  The other reason to run at him is that he can chase almost any play down if you try and run away. He is just incredibly fast and makes a ton of tackles in pursuit. You play to the guys strength when you run away, and then he will make a play.
                  Yea I mentioned it in the gameday thread lol. He just took our lunch money when they tried pulling Fluker. He blew by the TE's blocks (if you can call it that) and was in the backfield in a flash.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                    Go Aztecs and Pads
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                    The interesting thing about this success is that the San Diego line didn&#8217
                    ;t run block particularly well. King Dunlap earned a +2.1 grade for run blocking but the other four starters were all in negative figures and that slack wasn’t picked up by the TE’s or lead blocking. Matthews (primarily), Brown and Woodhead had to do most of the heavy lifting themselves.

Even though I thought the overall analysis was pretty weak I'd have to agree with this. I don't think the OL played all that well but did enough to keep Rivers upright. But I thought the RBs carried the load and found holes where there weren't any.
                    How does one find a hole that doesn't exist?

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Even though PFF tries to be objective, I still think their grading is pretty subjective. WE had 170 yards rushing and only 1 OL had a positive run blocking grade, and and neither did the FB or TE's? Plus, Dunlap was downright dominant, and he gets a +2.1? There are a lot of times that I think you can have a better judgement of how well a player plays if you ignore their stats, which defeats the purpose of them. Baseball uses stats so much because without them, it is impossible to tell the difference without them. Can you really tell the difference between a .250 and .300 hitter just by watching? But I am pretty sure everyone who watched the game Thursday night saw our OL kicking ass.

I don't disagree with the comment that Mathews and Woodhead (and even Brown) made them look better because they were getting to the holes and being decisive. But that doesn't mean that the OL wasn't doing a solid job, just that the RB are making an above average job blocking look special. According to PFF, an average job is supposed to be about a 0.0, yet evidently our OL was way worse then that.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Even though PFF tries to be objective, I still think their grading is pretty subjective. WE had 170 yards rushing and only 1 OL had a positive run blocking grade, and and neither did the FB or TE's? Plus, Dunlap was downright dominant, and he gets a +2.1? There are a lot of times that I think you can have a better judgement of how well a player plays if you ignore their stats, which defeats the purpose of them. Baseball uses stats so much because without them, it is impossible to tell the difference without them. Can you really tell the difference between a .250 and .300 hitter just by watching? But I am pretty sure everyone who watched the game Thursday night saw our OL kicking ass.

I don't disagree with the comment that Mathews and Woodhead (and even Brown) made them look better because they were getting to the holes and being decisive. But that doesn't mean that the OL wasn't doing a solid job, just that the RB are making an above average job blocking look special. According to PFF, an average job is supposed to be about a 0.0, yet evidently our OL was way worse then that.
                        Lol, I think PFF is more or less a bunch of bullshit stats too. There is a place for them I guess but most are stupid. I like their snap count stats but that's pretty straight forward.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

There is probably some good stuff in PFF, but you have to do a lot of looking, and I am not not sure that a lot of their analysis means what they think it means.

Comment

Working...
                          X