• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Last year was a 4 person rotation, plus early in the season was a mix of Bosa and Ingram (mostly Ingram) playing inside. That was not very many downs with McCain lining up outside and letting one of them slide inside. Rochelle might be another DE who moves inside, but he doesn't have the speed to be an edge rusher, so Bosa and Ingram would stay outside if he was going to play on obvious rush downs. The way Bradley was talking about Rochell, maybe he moves to DT full time(?). Or maybe he is a run down DE who slides inside sometimes to rush the QB.

If we draft someone like Payne or Vea, then Mebane is probably the new guy on the hot seat. Although in his case, I am not so sure it would be about salary. Mebane clearly had slowed down some, and it is probably not going to be any better this season, given he is in his mid-30's at such a physical position. He is a pro's pro, so you probably want him around the whole offseason to give the younger guys an example of how to prepare and train.

I didn't think Square was necessarily as good as he has been in past seasons, and he is in a contract year. We can save a little money with cutting him (and Mebane), but the big question is more about adding better, more productive players.

I would be surprised if we cut Phillon, unless he totally sucks, just because he was our most productive guy and still on his rookie contract.

The guys we have are alright, but can we get better. It just gets a lot harder when you get to the point that the Chargers are at.

DE - Bosa, Rochelle (?)
    NT - Mebane, Square
    3 tech - Liuget, Phillon, Rochelle (?)
    Leo - Ingram

When you look it this way, it shows how thin we are at DE. Rochelle was a good run down DE in college, and could give us some decent snaps there, giving Bosa a break on some run downs, but we have zero depth for rush downs. I still find the McCain thing a bit odd. Even with him, another edge rusher would have been nice. Now I almost think we need to find a 2nd one leaving Rochelle as the hybrid DE/DT. I think we saw Bosa and Ingram really wear down last year, and playing more downs is only going to make that worse.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

The "Tea Leaves" seem to be pointing to LB... or a Safety if James is still there.

I'm ok with either. (But I still love Payne).
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Heatmiser
        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Also Tenny Palepoi was (I thought) a decent rotational guy and the Chargers made no move to even try to sign him. And he would be cheap. Did he sign elsewhere?

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

I believe he signed with Buffalo.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
          X