• Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
      He's a mack daddy.
      With a knickknack paddywack
      Time to give this dogs a boner
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• thelightningwill
        Go Aztecs and Pads
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

[QUOTE=Mister Hoarse;56803]With a knickknack paddywack
        Time to give this dogs a boner[/
        QUOTE]

Never time for that

Comment

• Rugger05
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I said it each of the last couple of weeks, and I was not being a homer, that the Chargers were coming together as a team, as an offense, as a defense.

I called the San Diego offense the scariest of the ones you'd have to face on Wildcard Weekend, and it was. So says the scoreboard in Cincinnati, where the Bolts posted that (27-10) napalming and deforestation of the Jungle at Paul Brown Stadium.

I kept telling people the defense was getting better. They had given up just 306-yards per game over the last four wins, as they surged into the playoffs. Ask Andy Dalton, the Bengals beleaguered quarterback, about that defense, the pressure, the hits, the drops in coverage, the takeaways.

I had to remind talk show listeners and newspaper readers, the difference in the game might be the steadiness of the veteran quarterback, Philip Rivers, vs. the shakiness of the kid quarterback, Dalton. The end result, it rained hard, and Cincinnati was swept away by a torrent of turnovers on its home field.

Heroes were everywhere, but none more than one guy who couldn't make plays much of the year, Melvin Ingram, and one who hardly made any till the most important time, Shareece Wright. Ingram made a remarkable comeback from knee surgery, and his appearance on the field was the catalyst for a blitz package that got better late in the season. His interception in the second half, coupled with his pressure on blitzes, changed the game. Wright, who at one point was the 76th ranked cornerback in the league, rallied back, and played tougher and stronger, and saved his best play for the last game, on this schedule, with a critical third quarter pick.

Donald Butler, beaten on a pass play down the middle for an apparent touchdown, never gave up on the play, and his strip of Giovanni Bernard at the 2-yard line prevented a touchdown. It was the never-say-die passion of the defense, that dragged the Chargers back in the game. It was the takeaways that saved the day, after Rivers' offense staggered with just 55-yards in four possessions, when the Bengals seemed poised to take control of the game.

Coaches and teams may have figured out San Diego's offense and how to slow it down, but now they have to deal with a new set of problems, a defense that is coming to get your quarterback, and you better have an answer for that.

The Bolts are going to Denver and Peyton Manning is coming off a bye week, and will be in grudge mode. Yes he has all that firepower, but there is also history to remember; he has been knocked around, been picked off, been beaten up by guys wearing Lightning Bolts on their helmet, when he was in Indianapolis, and just recently in Denver.

Offense clicking, defense with fists clenched, are you ready for another weekend of playoff football? The Chargers, coming together, getting healthy at the right time, and believing there is a way to get it done. For this community, which has not had much to cheer about in a long time, there is still magic there courtesy of Mike McCoy's men.

I told you this could happen, and I'll allow you to use my favorite phrase now too: "Show me your Lightning Bolt".

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

HACKSAW ON THE BANDWAGON! WERE DOOOMMMED!
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• floydefisher
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • siberiacuse, ny
              • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
              He was the Chargers broadcaster back in the 80s. He tore them up.
              I'd like to see the proof of this...the only stint I remember Leitner doing for the Chargers, was after they fired Hacksaw, and prior to hiring the current crew. That would be late nineties, early 21st century.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X