• Send PM

I think Gates is done.

But a done Gates is still better than Virgil Green
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• BoltBacker
      BoltBacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Wishful thinking. Green can block well and is average as a pass catcher. Gates too old to do either.
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Average as a pass catcher? He has 71 catches over 7 years. A few with Peyton Manning at QB.

In those 7 years he has 4TDs. In 15 years Gates has 114TDs.

In the last 2 seasons Gates has 83 receptions and 10 TDs. Green has 59 receptions and 2 TDs. And thats Gates being "below average".

Green isn't average. He's not good at anything but blocking
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Panamamike
      Panamamike commented
      Editing a comment
      Which is great for our run an screen game. I think MW gets a lot of the split out plays Gates used to run for 1 on 1 matchup issues. If Gates cones back he will be a 3rd down and inside the 10 weapon for the most part. Not a bad thing at all
  • RTPbolt
    Charger Fan till the end
    • Jun 2013
    • North Carolina
    • Send PM

Well I would say look at what Denver had trying to throw to Green....medicre garbage. I think I give him a fair opportunity. Gates return I think is probably the best avsilable and is definitely a 1 year goodbye run. He still has strengths as a part time guy. His timing alone with PR and knowing the playbook really is a big part of his appeal.

I will still enjoy every TD he makes if sugned and I think he gets 4-6 in part time play.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
      Well I would say look at what Denver had trying to throw to Green....medicre garbage.
      He had 4 years of Peyton Manning.

32 receptions. 2 TDs.

Peyton Manning. 4 years.
      Last edited by oneinchpunch; 07-25-2018, 06:24 PM.
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

So you hate Green, so noted.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Panamamike commented
          Editing a comment
          As a receivibg TE, I would agree he is underwelming to say the least. He is an excellent bocker though and that will pay dividends vs the pass rushers we face.

• oneinchpunch
          oneinchpunch commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope. Don't hate Green at all. He's a great blocking TE. But he is not a #1 receiving TE
      • ChargedOne
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2018
        • Send PM

I do hope that gates holds his head high and does not return, he should have more pride than that. Hope he goes to a contender and gets the ring he deserves!

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Bolt-O commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to the Powder Blues!

• Panamamike
          Panamamike commented
          Editing a comment
          And this team is not a contender? where is the weaknesses on the roster preventing said contention?
      • Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargedOne View Post
        I do hope that gates holds his head high and does not return, he should have more pride than that. Hope he goes to a contender and gets the ring he deserves!
        You actually sound more like a former fan. Both your posts have been kind of anti charger. Do you root for this team? Or are you a hater?

Comment

• foreigner
          foreigner commented
          Editing a comment
          He sounds like a bitter San Diegan
      • ChargedOne
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2018
        • Send PM

I root for the team, but I am not pleased with everything they do as blindly as others. I think Gates was treated poorly, why the aggression?

Comment

• richpjr
          richpjr commented
          Editing a comment
          How has Gates been treated poorly? He has been a shell of himself the past couple of years, yet we kept him around and paid him.
      • Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargedOne View Post
        I root for the team, but I am not pleased with everything they do as blindly as others. I think Gates was treated poorly, why the aggression?
        No aggression. We are just way past the Spanos bashing at this point. Wishing Spanos dead etc? Thats pretty lame. This forum went to shit when every thread was about how bad the owners are etc. And the Chargers handled Gates perfectly. If you think that was bad you must really think the Chiefs screwed Gonzalez? Gates has declined considerably over the last 3 years and most likely would be gone on many other teams that used a high draft pick on a TE. He had a very long career here. Was not cut. They allowed him to play out his contract. He played out his contract man. They didnt cut him. You are pissed because they didnt spend money on a free agent non inline TE that looks like hes done. You have to get Henry a full compliment.

Comment

• RTPbolt
          Charger Fan till the end
          • Jun 2013
          • North Carolina
          • Send PM

Im fine with having Gates back for a year if hes in good shape. Probably time to draft another TE though as Hunter is now two times on IR...need more talent there and a bookend TE wouldnt hurt.

Comment

• Rugger05
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
            Im fine with having Gates back for a year if hes in good shape. Probably time to draft another TE though as Hunter is now two times on IR...need more talent there and a bookend TE wouldnt hurt.

Comment

Working...
            X