Bolts Select Hard-Hitting LB Uchenna Nwosu in Second Round

Friday, April 27, 2018 4:54 PM PDT

By Ricky Henne
    Managing Editor
    Chargers.com

@ChargersRHenne

Recent Videos

Instant Draft Grade Uchenna Nwosu: B

NFL Network's Bucky Brooks gives his grade on the Los Angeles Chargers' No. 48 selection of USC linebacker Uchenna Nwosu. Watch

Uchenna Nwosu 2018 NFL Scouting Combine Workout

Watch the 2018 NFL Scouting Combine workout from USC linebacker Uchenna Nwosu. Watch

More VideosDerwin James with the 17th overall pick, the Chargers selected hard-hitting USC linebacker Uchenna Nwosu with the 48th overall pick.

Uchenna Nwosu
    School: USC
    Height: 6-3
    Weight: 251 pounds
    NFL Network Pro Comparison: Kamalei Correa

One look at Uchenna NwosuCombine Metrics
    40-Yard Dash: 4.65 seconds
    Bench Press: 20 reps
    Vertical Jump: 32.0 inches
    Broad Jump: 119.0 inches

Size, speed, production in the run and pass game, definitely a TT guy. Maybe a bit high, but you could tell the team fell in love with him. I suspect this was the guy TT HAD TO HAVE in this draft.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Who was the LBr we had that got shot in the leg by the cops after we switched to the 3/4 Steve Foley??

Reminds me of him a little.
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

The official source for Los Angeles Chargers news, schedules, stats, scores, tickets and more.

Comment

• Hard Charger
            Chargers fan since 1977!
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
            Who was the LBr we had that got shot in the leg by the cops after we switched to the 3/4 Steve Foley??

Reminds me of him a little.
            Exactly! It was on the tip of my tongue. That's what happens when you get old...

HC

Comment

• CTrout
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Check out the date...

from walterfootball.com

3/21: "Verbatim with 100-percent certainty the Chargers are targeting Uchenna Nwosu with the 48th pick in Round 2. Says he fits the scheme. They are looking for help at linebacker. Anthony Lynn and Gus Bradley among large contingent on site." - , RosterWatch.com

Comment

• blueman
                blueman commented
                Editing a comment
                Gonna be hard to get the kid off the field, very happy with this pick.
            • Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Plays the perimeter on run downs kick Bosa inside on pass downs and rushes the passer. I don't know man. I think he could be a 700 snap LB for us. SAM was a need.
              Before you pencil him in as a full time, on the field LB, ask yourself if he can cover a WR or pass catching TE or a Kamara type RB? If he can't, he won't be on the field. I think they picked him because of his ability as an edge rusher. This is an incredibly thin draft for edge rushers, and we are very, very thin there. We also like to use Bosa and Ingram (especially Ingram) at DT on obvious pass rush downs, but we can't do that unless we have another edge rusher.

In time he might be a 500-600 snap guy. No maybe 200-300 at LB (mostly against the run) and 250-300 at DE replacing McCain. He will have less because it will take time for him to learn to stack and shed, set the edge against NFL TE and OT.

As far as him being an impact player, it all depends on how much he develops as a pass rusher. His USC stats are OK, but he is doing it mostly rushing the passer and setting the edge. He is going to step that kind of production up against better competition, and less than half as many running plays. Plus listen to TT and he basically just said everything I did.
              Last edited by Steve; 04-27-2018, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

a steal at No. 17with a PED suspensionfinal season at USC

Comment

• Steve
                  Steve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Someone should point out to Wang that Shazier and Jones both play ILB and Nwosu plays OTTO, so the comparison is an apples to oranges.
              • Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Agree on James. Thats why i was so high on him. Just didnt think he would be there.

Why dont we wait and see what happens.. We can revisit the discussion then. We all know how you feel about LBs Steve. Lets see how we use him. Hes not McCain and hes not Emmanuel. I think we upgrade those guys. I expect him to have a big role for us. Maybe not 700 snaps this year. But im thinking Bradley has a Bruce Irvin type vibe on this guy. I really like him. Irvin started out with lower snap totals but im certain he was playing DE and then moved to Otto where he started getting closer to 700 snaps.

Im just thinking this is Bradleys Bruce Irvin type player.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Before you pencil him in as a full time, on the field LB, ask yourself if he can cover a WR or pass catching TE or a Kamara type RB? If he can't, he won't be on the field..

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

It depends on what you mean by comfortable in space? If by comfortable in space you mean panting as the RB run past him, then yeah, maybe.

Again, go look at every NFL roster, they are going with smaller and faster players. Almost every LB taken is 235 and smaller. That is about 20 lbs lighter than LB size 10 years ago. The guys playing there are pumped up DB. Most of you guys are fixated on the NAME LB.

I just don't know why the Chargers would give up usign a personnel group that was so successful last year. Most of the big runs, the ones that gave up all the extra yards, where early in the year. Once we switched to the dime, that mostly stopped. The exception was against Buffalo, but we were playing soft D all game, and if a team wants to stack their running yardage against us when we are way ahead, I am fine letting them do it (run the clock out on us, that'll teach us).

Again, all the good NFL defenses spend the vast majority of their defensive snaps in nickel or dime. Dime is our best package. It was the reason for our defensive success last year. The turnovers started once the switch to dime started, and we started winning.

Of the games that we lost, none of it was because of the running defense. None. We gave up yards, but we lost because we kept turning the ball over deep in our territory, got behind and then couldn't score any points. If we had any sustained offense, we win those games. Our success is tied much more closely to out ability to block than it is our run D.
                    Last edited by Steve; 04-27-2018, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Looks like Bradley is adjusting his personnel.

Comment

Working...
                      X