• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Porterparty
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2017
    • Send PM

CHARGERS NEEDED dl, s, lb,ol AND RB. THEY MAY NOT HAVE GOTTEN EVERYTHING, BUT IF THE TEAM IS RIGHT IN PLAYER EVALUATIONS THEY FILLED THE ROSTER , WHERE THEY NEEDED IT. I GUESS MY BIGGIST DOUBT WAS DL M HURST, IN THE 4TH ROUND WOULD HAVE BEEN A STEAL.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        oneinchpunch commented
        Editing a comment
        Larry English was the 16th player selected in round 1

• Formula 21
        Formula 21 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t know whether to say even better or even worse.
    • Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

From SI
      LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Kinda sounds like SD. TT addressed this with more safety size and toughness up the middle.

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Chucky got a prize - Draft Loser
          Oakland Raiders

The draft started with a trade down from No. 10 to No. 15, allowing the Cardinals to get a quarterback, with the Raiders receiving only a third- and fifth-round pick in return. They flipped that third-round pick to the Steelers(who would use it to draft Mason Rudolph) for Martavis Bryant, a receiver with a lot of upside, but also a lot of baggage. It says a lot the Steelers finally parted ways with him. Arden Key is a top-10 talent but has baggage of his own. Maybe don't make Key and Bryant roommates.

Maurice Hurst in the fifth round was a steal, but he has heart issues that could ultimately limit his ability to play. Clearly enough teams had him off their boards that he dropped to the third day.

Jon Gruden explained the two early picks on offensive linemen (Kolten Miller and Brandon Parker) as needing to protect Derek Carr, but the offensive line has been the Raiders' strength for several years. Trusting Tom Cable and going all-in on draft picks feels like a risky play.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

USA Today

Los Angeles Chargers: B+

Getting S Derwin James at No. 17 was a steal. GM Tom Telesco never stopped infusing talent into an already formidable defense, thought it did need to get much better against the run. LB Uchenna Nwosu, DT Justin Jones and LB Kyzir White may collectively elevate the Bolts to Super Bowl dark horse. Telesco is clearly confident QB Philip Rivers, 36, isn't slowing down
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Oakland Raiders: C+

Drafts are replete with boom-or-bust prospects. Jon Gruden's return produced what looks like a boom-or-bust draft. Trading a third rounder to Pittsburgh for WR Martavis Bryant could be a coup ... if Bryant's head is screwed on soundly. Gruden clearly prioritized offensive tackles, correctly moving down in Round 1 for Kolton Miller before taking North Carolina A&T's Brandon Parker in the third. Were either overdrafted in a thin tackle class? Stay tuned. LSU pass rusher Arden Key will enter the building with extensive personal issues, while Michigan DT Maurice Hurst is a medical risk. If it all pans out, Gruden should take a preliminary trip to Vegas. Otherwise, at least his $100 million line of credit can withstand a few hits.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                Steve commented
                Editing a comment
                Boom or bust was a much better strategy back when the draft had more than 7 rounds. Now if they miss on too many, you have huge holes that can only be filled via FA, and that destroys a teams salary cap.

And super move going for a couple of guys with past drug problems. Guys like that never have problems in Vegas.
            • Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

1 (17) Derwin James, S, Florida State, 92.1
              2 (48) Uchenna Nwosu, Edge, USC, 86.9
              3 (84) Justin Jones, DI, NC State, 76.9
              4 (119) Kyzir White, S, West Virginia, 86.4
              5 (155) Scott Quessenberry, C, UCLA, 85.5
              6 (191) Dylan Cantrell, WR, Texas Tech, 80.1
              7 (251) Justin Jackson, RB, Northwestern, 56.1

Day 1: The Chargers made one of our favorite Day 1 picks
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

I really like our draft.

We upgraded the SS spot dramatically. Nwosu is a good run down LB who can be part of our pass game D. Jones adds depth at DL in a year where because of Liuget, we know we are going to need it (not even counting Mebane's age). White gives us another LB-ish S to play up in the box, plus some ability to play deep centerfield and break on the ball. Quessenberry doesn't really fit a need so much, but he is a good OL who is smart and is just a really good player (not a great athlete though). Cantrell gives us WR who can attack the intermediate and deep middle of the field, as well as adds some short run after the catch ability that the rest of our WR lack. Jackson is a scheme diverse RB who can be plugged into any offense.

I think our draft looks more vanilla when outsiders look at the picks and just judge them as individuals who play a position. But when you look at the roles we have for them, you can see how all of them could fit and help build the team in the long run, but also brings some new talents to the mix right away.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Vinnie Iyer, sportingnews.com Los Angeles Chargers: A-

Draft picks: S Derwin James (Florida State), OLB Uchenna Nwosu (USC), DT Justin Jones (NC State), S Kyzir White (West Virginia), C Scott Quessenberry (UCLA), WR Dylan Cantrell (Texas Tech), RB Justin Jackson (Northwestern).

Tom Telesco knows he has an elite defense brewing, and James is the exclamation point on the back end with Joey Bosa getting things started up front. Nwosu and Jones bump the front seven, while White could transition to fill a hole at inside linebacker. Jackson is a strong backup for Melvin Gordon. Los Angeles thinks it can win big now after a great finish to the 2017 season, but a developmental QB would have eliminated the minus.

Comment

• Charged4Life
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I really like our draft.

We upgraded the SS spot dramatically. Nwosu is a good run down LB who can be part of our pass game D. Jones adds depth at DL in a year where because of Liuget, we know we are going to need it (not even counting Mebane's age). White gives us another LB-ish S to play up in the box, plus some ability to play deep centerfield and break on the ball. Quessenberry doesn't really fit a need so much, but he is a good OL who is smart and is just a really good player (not a great athlete though). Cantrell gives us WR who can attack the intermediate and deep middle of the field, as well as adds some short run after the catch ability that the rest of our WR lack. Jackson is a scheme diverse RB who can be plugged into any offense.

I think our draft looks more vanilla when outsiders look at the picks and just judge them as individuals who play a position. But when you look at the roles we have for them, you can see how all of them could fit and help build the team in the long run, but also brings some new talents to the mix right away.
                    I think that's a great point about how these picks fit. I really like the range of our first two picks for the defense. I sense that they'll be all over the field making plays for us. And both those guys presence vs. the pass should help our pass rush. Because they should be like glue on TE's/WRs.Shit, and we're going to have a healthy Verrett too. Please get some decent penetration, interior d-line. We'll be monsters if that happens.

That would be amazing if Jackson could be a solid #2 RB for us considering where he was picked. Deep draft I guess. It does make sense to me though due to our o-line getting better this year. We don't need a bruiser back to force his way through tacklers....not if the blocking is as good as I think it will be (more like hoping real hard...lol).

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                      Larry English ran a 4.80. Nwosu runs a 4.65 and is more active. AND he fits the scheme, not just a random body. we had great hopes for him when he was drafted in the 2nd.
                      English sucked!

Comment

Working...
                      X