• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
    He got beat by a first round speed rusher in shorts and a HOF pass rusher on his first day of training camp. A little perspective is in order.
    You mean that HOFer who got 5 sacks and 12 tackles last year? LOL

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      No one is predicting doom. Just trying to find the best OL for this team to succeed.
      That would be a tough job for even Indiana Jones with this roster...

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

IMO the best 5 would probably be Starks-Clary-Hardwick-Fluker-Dunlap. Or swap the tackles. Thats probably the most athletic OL. But if we are set on trying out Fluker at RT then who knows. I think Fluker could probably be the best OG on the team even-though hes not slated to play there. If the coaches really want the best 5 they will have to move Fluker to OG. And not because hes not working out at RT. But because i think Starks/Dunlap belong in the top 5. But like i said i think Fluker will be given the chance to play at RT. Maybe hes part of a rotation at both spots. I think the kid could be a really versatile player. His work ethic has always been a strong suit. I see a coachable player. I think Flukers long term contribution on the team will be very positive.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          IMO the best 5 would probably be Starks-Clary-Hardwick-Fluker-Dunlap. Or swap the tackles. Thats probably the most athletic OL. But if we are set on trying out Fluker at RT then who knows. I think Fluker could probably be the best OG on the team even-though hes not slated to play there. If the coaches really want the best 5 they will have to move Fluker to OG. And not because hes not working out at RT. But because i think Starks/Dunlap belong in the top 5. But like i said i think Fluker will be given the chance to play at RT. Maybe hes part of a rotation at both spots. I think the kid could be a really versatile player. His work ethic has always been a strong suit. I see a coachable player. I think Flukers long term contribution on the team will be very positive.
          If Dunlap can't run block, why would you put him at RT? I'd rather have Clary there.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Idealy you do not want to reshuffle the oline if you have an injury, but if you put Fluker at guard and Starks and Dunlap start at tackle, if either tackle has an injury you are moving guard to tackle and if Starks gets injured your moving Fluker to RT Dunlap to LT and bringing in a backup guard. Only two positions have the starting players in.

If Fluker is the RT, the backup is the swing man and this is avoided.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
              If Dunlap can't run block, why would you put him at RT? I'd rather have Clary there.
              Just saying if were basing this on best 5 talent wise those are the top 5 imo. You sort of have to put Dunlap somewhere on the line. And Fluker is such a mauler at run blocking it sort of compensates for Dunlaps shortcomings. If your dead set on playing the top 5 OL thats the lineup your going to have to go with. I think Clary is probably going to be the stronger OG over Rhinehart. And Clary isnt that great at Pass blocking. He and Harris were the worst tandem in the league last year. So if you move Clary to RT over dunlap we have the better run blocker but the weaker pass blocker. Sort of splitting hairs anyways as the talent we have on OL is nothing special anyways.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

The other thing is the short term/long term thing. Yes, Fluker will almost certainly be better at OG as a rookie then OT. But long term, can he play OT. Obviously, the Chargers think he can, in which case, the issue is more about taking some (minor) short term lumps, and get him experience at OT, rather then the short term payoff at OG.

Some of it depends on just how good Dunlap is going to be. He is the prototype in terms of size, and almost as athletic as Gaither was. But the guy don't get low, and is a terrible run blocker because of it. Does Coach D think he can turn him into a decent run blocking OT? He is already a solid pass protector, and should only get better in terms of pass protection, now that he is finally getting playing time (last year and this year(?)). If he can be taught to bend his knees and play with leverage, then he could be a long term answer. Not likely that he will, but you never know.

Harris is the other guy who can be a big wild card. The guy has good feet. If he ever learns to play with leverage and use his hands, he could be good OT. But as badly as he does in that area, he is a bit of a long shot at even making the roster.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

I agree. Fluker will be groomed at RT and probably be given a decent size leash. Im only saying that based on the top 5 theory at this point those are my top 5 projected guys at the end of 6 weeks. I think with McCoy stating the RB by committee approach. and Rivers stating the more "High Percentage Short/Intermediate Passing game"...if i had to pick 5 guys based on those scheme characteristics and MMs theory of the top 5 i would personally do it that way.

So i guess im saying that if the OL looks like Starks/Dunlap-Rhinehart-Hardwick-Clary-Fluker i will probably end up telling myself those are IMO not the best 5. I think the OL ends up like this, but based on the most talented 5 i have Fluker as our best OG and to start the season Dunlop/Starks as the top 2 OTs. I expect Fluker to take over top spot but not right away. The kid is raw and needs time to develop. I cant expect him or any rookie to come in and dominate off the start. It dosnt happen often even with the top draft picks.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    No Sir, I Dont Like It
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Section 457
                    • Migrant Film Worker
                    • Send PM

JJ Watt probably has a drool bucket below his wall calendar.
                    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

I believe Houston has the 2nd easiest schedule this year.

Comment

• Den60
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        The other thing is the short term/long term thing. Yes, Fluker will almost certainly be better at OG as a rookie then OT. But long term, can he play OT. Obviously, the Chargers think he can, in which case, the issue is more about taking some (minor) short term lumps, and get him experience at OT, rather then the short term payoff at OG.

Some of it depends on just how good Dunlap is going to be. He is the prototype in terms of size, and almost as athletic as Gaither was. But the guy don't get low, and is a terrible run blocker because of it. Does Coach D think he can turn him into a decent run blocking OT? He is already a solid pass protector, and should only get better in terms of pass protection, now that he is finally getting playing time (last year and this year(?)). If he can be taught to bend his knees and play with leverage, then he could be a long term answer. Not likely that he will, but you never know.

Harris is the other guy who can be a big wild card. The guy has good feet. If he ever learns to play with leverage and use his hands, he could be good OT. But as badly as he does in that area, he is a bit of a long shot at even making the roster.
                        The problem is those "minor short term lumps" will be absorbed by #17...

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                          Grammar Police
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                          I believe Houston has the 2nd easiest schedule this year.
                          What a great oppertunity to come out and punch them in the face all game long. Show very little of the playbook and try and out physical them on both sides of the ball.
                          Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                          X