• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I was referring to his position coach, who was being blamed for the kickers failures.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post

Yes. The Head Coach and the GM should make sure he is no longer on the team

Unfortunately there no longer might be better options
      Aguayo is still available. Fuck why not?

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I think you put too much emphasis on the coaches role in kicking fgs. professional kickers need to make those kicks, especially the extra pts. 100% on sturgis as i don't see protection breakdowns. Do u blame the coach if an NBA player misses a layup?
        I agree, kickers should make those kicks. And he used to make those kicks before he got here and worked under Stewart. And a punter should know to not take his normal 3 step kick in the end zone, but somehow ours doesn't. And punt returners should know when to catch a punt and not to run backwards into the end zone when they do catch them. And they should also know if they fumble a punt to fall on it instead of trying to pick it up, but ours don't. And on and on and on. Our ST are EASILY the worst in the league under Stewart and it's just not Sturgis struggling.

Comment

• vinabolt
          Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
          • Feb 2015
          • Send PM

I do blame the coach(es) for deciding who wins the kicker job based on practice kicks. Koo decisively won it last year over Lambo in camps and practice when Lambo took it easy. This year, Sturgis barely won over Aguayo in camps and practices, but I thought Aguayo looked better in preseason.

In most positions on offense and defense, teams priorities practices over preseasons, players who look good in practices will win the job. That's because practices are closer to to real games, they practice real plays from the playbook. It's all vanilla in the preseason. But for kickers, preseason games are closer to real games, they have big tall players who also trying hard to make their team running full speed at you trying to block your kick. The pressure level are much more closer to gameday than in practice. No one run at you and tries to block your kick in practice. You just stand there and practice kicks.

Given that Lynn is the head coach and he has been preaching a lot of about camp competition, and shallow about kickers, Lynn was probably the one who makes those call. He once said during media session that to determine kickers he just "count the misses". Don't know how much of that is just joking, but if he truly believe that and he's wrong. Even college ST coaches determine kickers by how they make the kicks. There is a smooth kick with the ball smoothly unquestionably go right in the middle, that clearly show the kicker strength and accuracy. And there is a barely make. Out of the made ones by Sturgis and Aguayo in preseason games, I thought the Aguayo's made ones looks better, smoother, straight and right through the center.
          Last edited by vinabolt; 10-01-2018, 05:41 AM.
          Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I agree, kickers should make those kicks. And he used to make those kicks before he got here and worked under Stewart. And a punter should know to not take his normal 3 step kick in the end zone, but somehow ours doesn't. And punt returners should know when to catch a punt and not to run backwards into the end zone when they do catch them. And they should also know if they fumble a punt to fall on it instead of trying to pick it up, but ours don't. And on and on and on. Our ST are EASILY the worst in the league under Stewart and it's just not Sturgis struggling.
            I completely agree our ST are atrocious and Stew has to go. But i blame the kicker for missing the kicks. If the snap and placement are clean it is on his shoulders...or leg as the case may be.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I completely agree our ST are atrocious and Stew has to go. But i blame the kicker for missing the kicks. If the snap and placement are clean it is on his shoulders...or leg as the case may be.
              I do not disagree that Sturgis is the one missing the kicks and should be blamed. But when virtually every kicker under Stewart has struggled and every other area of ST has had repeated breakdowns under his tenure, at some point Lynn needs to admit that Stewart isn't the answer. But I do not expect any change and that will continue to haunt us.

Comment

• Joy Division
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Who do we blame for drafting a good kicker and then letting him walk? The kicker?
                #JoshLambo

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Joy Division View Post
                  Who do we blame for drafting a good kicker and then letting him walk? The kicker?
                  #JoshLambo
                  Was Lambo even drafted? I thought he was an UFA. I wonder who made that decision to keep Koo instead of Lambo, Stewart or Lynn.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Josh Lambo is interested in this answer...

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Josh Lambo is interested in this answer...
                        And who is in charge of him getting cut?
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                          And who is in charge of him getting cut?

Comment

Working...
                          X