Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      I think it is dangerous to start blocking assistants who might want to leave. If a team gets a rep for not allowing coaches to move around, then you get that rep and good coaches will think twice about ever signing a contract with you.

The teams don't offer the coaches much job security, so why should the coaches feel that much loyalty to a team which might block their best chance at landing a job their really want? Most assistant coaches have a limited shelf life, and many very good coaches have missed chances to get head coaching and coordinator spots because they weren't allowed to move. Then the teams fortunes change and they get passed over for the new whiz kids and have to wait years for the teams to rise again, or get bounce from struggling franchise to struggling franchise.

The way to make sure you keep the best possible staff is to make sure that the owner and GM make the best possible contract offers to the assistants, so that money is not the driving force behind assistant coaches wanting to leave, and then just be really honest with the coaches about their prospects for advancement inside the organization. If the assistant doesn't like it, most will still respect the honesty. But forcing a coach to stay when their shot at rising is not going to win you a coaches best efforts down the road.
      Spanos logo:

HOCKKKKKKK!!!11!!
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

No issue if Reich is blocked if they plan on offering him the OC spot.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
          No issue if Reich is blocked if they plan on offering him the OC spot.
          No issue if he's blocked and they keep him as QB coach
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Mein Reich???!!!... Nein!!!!!

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

If he goes, I say we go after his son, Frank III.

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Opera singer and web developer.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                So, how do we downvote a post?
                Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Opera singer and web developer.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                  If we hired him, would we also hire Krieg as one of his assistants?
                  Adipose

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    BetterToday ThanYesterday
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I just hope this does not hurt Reich's feelings.

Seriously, who is to say that Reich would rather be the OC in Detroit than stay in San Diego? Detroit continually underachieves, no matter who the coach is. Stafford I keep reading is resistant to coaching (is he a coach killer?).The Chargers have built/are building a team of 'good people'. Schwartz has collected some thugs and preached the thug way. If Reich wants to move ahead, does he want to gamble on turning the fortunes in Detroit or is it better to continue in San Diego in some capacity?

Regardless, I see no way that McCoy lets Reich or Spencer go with Whiz. He needs them on the staff. He did the same thing with Pagano, who the Browns were hot after when Norv went to Cleveland. And look how that worked out for Pagano. He would be on the street right now.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I don't get all the hurt feelings stuff. They are professional coaches. They know the deal. I don't think it would come as a shock to Reich that he would be blocked. In fact I think both Whiz and Reich knew this was possible before coming aboard this year. Chargers knew Whiz could very well be a hot commodity this offseason given his success as a HC in Az, and reich was brought in to groom as his replacement.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I see the deal as exactly the same deal as with Marty, and regardless, I don't think you block the guy.

If coaches had the ability to come and go, chase jobs at any point, then this is a non-issue. But there are a limited number of jobs. And if he is brought in as our OC, he is going to have to run the O that we ran this season. He won't have a chance to impliment his own system, or the freedom to do things as he wants, so just because he is going to get a coordinators spot (provided he even wants to be a coordinator), it may not be his dream job.

We have the right to block him, and prevent him from doing whatever, but is that how you get the best from talented people? The NFL is fairly unique that the middle management (coaches) are paid far less then the players they manage. They have less job security, virtually no pension or long term benefits, and they reward these guys with 12-16 hour days during the season and 8-10 hour days the rest of the year.

Comment

• SDFan
                          Woober Goober
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Dolores, CO
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                          The article is about assistants that are available. Not last seasons head Coaches
                          "Gregg Williams, whose deal is expiring with the Titans, are well positioned (Williams could get consideration for the Titans' head coaching vacancy). So are Browns coordinators Norv Turner and Ray Horton, who are free to pursue other jobs. Former Bills head coach Dick Jauron, who led the Browns' defense in 2012, could also be in the mix somewhere"

yesh, no former Head Coaches who were former coordinators mentioned in article at all
                          Last edited by SDFan; 01-07-2014, 07:57 AM.
                          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

Working...
                          X