• SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
    Maybe hed rather be Whiz's OC
    too bad Wiz doesn't HAVE a HC job (yet. may not happen this year), so he could even offer Reich the OC position
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      I see the deal as exactly the same deal as with Marty, and regardless, I don't think you block the guy.

If coaches had the ability to come and go, chase jobs at any point, then this is a non-issue. But there are a limited number of jobs. And if he is brought in as our OC, he is going to have to run the O that we ran this season. He won't have a chance to impliment his own system, or the freedom to do things as he wants, so just because he is going to get a coordinators spot (provided he even wants to be a coordinator), it may not be his dream job.

We have the right to block him, and prevent him from doing whatever, but is that how you get the best from talented people? The NFL is fairly unique that the middle management (coaches) are paid far less then the players they manage. They have less job security, virtually no pension or long term benefits, and they reward these guys with 12-16 hour days during the season and 8-10 hour days the rest of the year.
      Sorry, I do not agree with your take on this. Position coaches are blocked all the time. he has never been an OC, and IMO was brought in to learn this system and work with Rivers in order to take over OC when Whiz leaves for a HC gig. like it or not, that is the nature of his profession.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

No issue if he's blocked and they keep him as QB coach
        I guess it's only a guy going for a HEAD coach job - not just a promotion - that can be blocked? I thought ANY promotion would be enough (i.e., QB coach to DC), but you seem to know differently. Not doubting you at all; I just had it wrong.

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
          I don't get all the hurt feelings stuff. They are professional coaches. They know the deal. I don't think it would come as a shock to Reich that he would be blocked. In fact I think both Whiz and Reich knew this was possible before coming aboard this year. Chargers knew Whiz could very well be a hot commodity this offseason given his success as a HC in Az, and reich was brought in to groom as his replacement.
          It's a board joke, perpetuated by OIP (though not started by him). It's in reference to Pagano. I believe it was when Wade left and we hired Manusky, bypassing Pagano at the time. Someone commented that Pagano must be pissed, and OIP ran with that theme.

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
            It's a board joke, perpetuated by OIP (though not started by him). It's in reference to Pagano. I believe it was when Wade left and we hired Manusky, bypassing Pagano at the time. Someone commented that Pagano must be pissed, and OIP ran with that theme.
            after Wade, we had AJ hand pick Cotrell and then NOrv promoting Rivera before there was any talk of Pagano promoting to DC

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
              after Wade, we had AJ hand pick Cotrell and then NOrv promoting Rivera before there was any talk of Pagano promoting to DC
              Oh, Christ. I'm only a DECADE behind on this one. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                "Gregg Williams, whose deal is expiring with the Titans, are well positioned (Williams could get consideration for the Titans' head coaching vacancy). So are Browns coordinators Norv Turner and Ray Horton, who are free to pursue other jobs. Former Bills head coach Dick Jauron, who led the Browns' defense in 2012, could also be in the mix somewhere"

yesh, no former Head Coaches who were former coordinators mentioned in article at all
                Not last seasons head Coaches.

Do you see any HCs from 2013 in that article?
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Reich could have bet on himself and not take a multi-year coaching contract, and he would have been free to interview with any team for jobs. We fans have no real idea on if Reich will be a good OC, we think that he's integral to coaching PR back to form as part of that team (Reich, Whiz, McCoy) and that's all we really know. Anyway, I'm hoping for a delayed decision on the assistants.

It appears that the NFL now only allows HC interviews with active participants in the home city, so if the interviews with Whiz happened, they are done for now. There was a blurb that said some team was going to interview Whiz in Denver on Saturday, but apparently that's not allowed.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I guess it's only a guy going for a HEAD coach job - not just a promotion - that can be blocked? I thought ANY promotion would be enough (i.e., QB coach to DC), but you seem to know differently. Not doubting you at all; I just had it wrong.
                    All coaches can be blocked for any promotion other than HC.
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Oh, Christ. I'm only a DECADE behind on this one. Thanks for the clarification.
                      There were many chances for Padano to cry
                      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Reich will probably make a pretty good OC. He has coached QB and WR as a position coach. He did some college coaching where he helped out on a lot of different positions. He was a great play caller on the field as a pro, in one of the few offenses that really let a pro QB call their own plays (Bills). And I am pretty sure he has ice water in his veins, because he had a number of impressive come from behind victories during his playing career, including the largest comebacks in both college and pro football history when they occurred.

You never really know if he would be a great OC, but he has a pretty damn impressive resume.

Comment

• SDFan
                          Woober Goober
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Dolores, CO
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Not last seasons head Coaches.

Do you see any HCs from 2013 in that article?
                          guess I missed the new NFL directive that says any HCs from 2013 are prohibited from interviewing or being hired as HCs this year. my bad.

Comment

Working...
                          X