Order of priority, who to extend first, second, third, not at all.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
    "If not this week, a contract extension potentially could be reached before the March start of the 2014 league year."

That doesn't seem to match what oneinchpunch says about extensions having to be done by November.
    Did you miss this part or simply have chosen to ignore it:

"
    Failing to reach an agreement this week could alter the negotiations' landscape. With talks expected to shut down during the season, the linebacker's value will be reassessed afterward. A banner year could drive up the contract value. A lackluster one, which seems improbable from Butler barring injury, could negatively affect it."

Comment

• SFW
      PB Official Game Thread Starter
      • Jul 2013
      • NY
      • USMC
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      November- the last time they can sign him to an extension.

After November they can sign him to a new contract. But won't be an extension of the current contract.
      Originally posted by Den60 View Post
      Did you miss this part or simply have chosen to ignore it:

"
      Failing to reach an agreement this week could alter the negotiations' landscape. With talks expected to shut down during the season, the linebacker's value will be reassessed afterward. A banner year could drive up the contract value. A lackluster one, which seems improbable from Butler barring injury, could negatively affect it."
      What you and oneinchpunch are saying are two completely different things. I understand about losing leverage but that has nothing to do with what he said and what I was referring to. But thanks for butting in.
      1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
      2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
      3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
      4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
      5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
      6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
      7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
        What you and oneinchpunch are saying are two completely different things. I understand about losing leverage but that has nothing to do with what he said and what I was referring to. But thanks for butting in.
        Oh, you are good at sticking your butt in whenever you want so don't sell yourself short. I am pointing out that you post one part of this writer's opinion yet ignore something that negates the point you are making. I'm just pointing out that it is intellectually dishonest.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming...

Comment

• SFW
          PB Official Game Thread Starter
          • Jul 2013
          • NY
          • USMC
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          Oh, you are good at sticking your butt in whenever you want so don't sell yourself short. I am pointing out that you post one part of this writer's opinion yet ignore something that negates the point you are making. I'm just pointing out that it is intellectually dishonest.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming...
          I pointed out the exact part that refuted what oneinchpunch said. I understand the rest of the story and losing leverage but once again none of that has anything to do with his claim that they only had until November to get an extension done.

Now back to your regular scheduled vitamins old grumpy one.
          1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
          2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
          3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
          4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
          5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
          6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
          7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Thats longevity challenged...
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

If we put a halt on Butler's contract talks until after the season - and he does NOT get injured - he's as good as gone, IMO. In fact, to save myself the aggravation of watching that exact scenario unfold, from this point forward I will refer to this as "Butler's last season as a Charger". Of course, that's too much to type, so I'll have to conjure up a clever nickname.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                If we put a halt on Butler's contract talks until after the season - and he does NOT get injured - he's as good as gone, IMO. In fact, to save myself the aggravation of watching that exact scenario unfold, from this point forward I will refer to this as "Butler's last season as a Charger". Of course, that's too much to type, so I'll have to conjure up a clever nickname.
                If he leaves, he probably didn't want to stay here to begin with. No sense is worrying about it. He could just get injured again. I want to believe in the guy, but I can't ignore that he hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                  If he leaves, he probably didn't want to stay here to begin with.
                  Then I will come up with an INSULTING, clever nickname.

Note: What you say is not impossible to believe.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

One last point, I'm actually surprised that a deal hasn't been done. It makes sense for Butler to take a team friendly deal with high guaranteed dollars. It also makes sense for the team to give that type of deal with less overall money. It's a win win on both sides. Given Butler's history you would think he would want to secure his future with this type of deal. Butler's age is in the team's favor.

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                      Try not to be too negative about this. We do have Te'o so why would we need a second ILB?

Comment

• Den60
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                        One last point, I'm actually surprised that a deal hasn't been done. It makes sense for Butler to take a team friendly deal with high guaranteed dollars. It also makes sense for the team to give that type of deal with less overall money. It's a win win on both sides. Given Butler's history you would think he would want to secure his future with this type of deal. Butler's age is in the team's favor.
                        It makes sense for him to get paid what he is worth. We get a bit of a discount giving him a new contract before the season. So from what I can gather from this is the sides are at odds as to what he is worth or what that discount should be. It will be interesting to see which side is off the mark. I can say that should Butler play like he did last year and come out of this season without a significant injury he will be a rather hot commodity come free agency.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

there have always been talks that break down before the season started, then gets shelved until after the season. sometimes the player does get signed, sometimes not. and the blame goes to the GM for not being flexible when contracts don't get finalized. considering this is still happening even with a brand new GM, maybe it's time people remembered that the Chargers are one of the few teams that have a separate entity acting as the Chief Contract Negotiator also VP who reports directly to the owner.

Comment

Working...
                          X