• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I apologize for my initial comments especially if they seemed like a knock on Rivers. He had a remarkable season and really looking at dumps like Oakland and Cleveland that are in QB purgatory, it makes you appreciate him even more.

I think it's a shame because a handful of his playoff appearances, he's been handicapped with unfortunate circumstances. In 2007 playing a torn ACL with all his weapons injured, he's played on teams where the defense and playcalling have let him down (yesterday), but he has also had flat out poor outings as well (Patriots in 2006, Jets 2009).

I am just frustrated that scrubs like Flacco and Eli can get hot and really contribute to a playoff run and that's one thing that's been missing from Rivers' resume, granted it hasn't always been his fault. Why do you think people thought the Packers were dangerous going into the playoffs - one reason only, they got Aaron Rodgers back. Fair or not, until Rivers puts together that Super Bowl run, he'll still be thought of as 2nd fiddle to the guys that garner all the conversation, no matter what kind of regular season damage he does. Again, I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that narrative, but it is what it is. QBs are judged on a different standard.

Regardless, I hope Telesco stacks this roster to the moon and back and we leave no doubt as we romp to a championship in the near future.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Guy Lombardo
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
      I apologize for my initial comments especially if they seemed like a knock on Rivers. He had a remarkable season and really looking at dumps like Oakland and Cleveland that are in QB purgatory, it makes you appreciate him even more.

I think it's a shame because a handful of his playoff appearances, he's been handicapped with unfortunate circumstances. In 2007 playing a torn ACL with all his weapons injured, he's played on teams where the defense and playcalling have let him down (yesterday), but he has also had flat out poor outings as well (Patriots in 2006, Jets 2009).

I am just frustrated that scrubs like Flacco and Eli can get hot and really contribute to a playoff run and that's one thing that's been missing from Rivers' resume, granted it hasn't always been his fault. Why do you think people thought the Packers were dangerous going into the playoffs - one reason only, they got Aaron Rodgers back. Fair or not, until Rivers puts together that Super Bowl run, he'll still be thought of as 2nd fiddle to the guys that garner all the conversation, no matter what kind of regular season damage he does. Again, I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that narrative, but it is what it is. QBs are judged on a different standard.

Regardless, I hope Telesco stacks this roster to the moon and back and we leave no doubt as we romp to a championship in the near future.
      The thing that's been missing from Rivers resume is decent coaching and a quality supporting cast at the same time. That Cam Cameron, Norv system stunk, we had one solid year with a really good defense and Marty chokes. Norv was Norv. Those Eli, Flacco teams had some weapons on defense, this teams been missing firepower on defense for years and then the offense goes down the toilet. Rivers had 1 WR basically all season, a rookie, a stud for sure but a rookie. Royal was meant to be 3rd WR and the guy hadn't practiced in two months I believe.

Stick Flacco or Eli in Philip's place and you'd see real disaster. I'm still amazed he did what did under Norv, became the leagues best deep ball thrower and still maintained high level of accuracy. Nope, he needed modern NFL coaching, schemes and a front office that functioned over all those years.

Comment

• RollingThunder
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Guy Lombardo View Post
        The thing that's been missing from Rivers resume is decent coaching and a quality supporting cast at the same time. That Cam Cameron, Norv system stunk, we had one solid year with a really good defense and Marty chokes. Norv was Norv. Those Eli, Flacco teams had some weapons on defense, this teams been missing firepower on defense for years and then the offense goes down the toilet. Rivers had 1 WR basically all season, a rookie, a stud for sure but a rookie. Royal was meant to be 3rd WR and the guy hadn't practiced in two months I believe.

Stick Flacco or Eli in Philip's place and you'd see real disaster. I'm still amazed he did what did under Norv, became the leagues best deep ball thrower and still maintained high level of accuracy. Nope, he needed modern NFL coaching, schemes and a front office that functioned over all those years.
        Excellent post. Spot on.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

One of the reasons I might do as much as I can to help the D more then the O this coming season is that as long as we keep Rivers in the game, not that we have Allen, we are still in the game. So the better the D, the more chances for Rivers to pull out late game victories.

Plus, I think the O will get somewhat better just because we had so many guys who had never done anything, now that they are stepping up, they will just keep getting better. Guys like Fluker, Dunlap, Mathews, Green will all continue to improve.

Comment

Working...
          X