• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyle
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Takeaways from 2013

Very proud of these Chargers. They far exceeded my expectations for this year.

I'm sure I could list 20-30 things we learned this year, but imo these were the biggest takeaways from 2013:

1. I thought the team looked prepared and disciplined most weeks and usually didn't make the same mistakes on a week-to-week basis. Very much the polar opposite of what had been the norm the past few years. Someone around here posted Norv's mantra used to be "we'll fix this." Well things seems to get fixed much quicker under this regime.

2. Absolutely amazed at the offensive line improvements this year. They were arguably the worst in the league last year. If TT (and Joe D.) could improve the line that much in one offseason, I can't wait to see what it will look like next year.

3. Keenan Allen: Confirmed what we thought in the offseason, that he has elite skills. But I didn't expect the massive success he had THIS year. Thought it would take a couple years. He was a top 10, possibly top 5 WR the second half of the season.

4. King Dunlap was the "find" of the offseason. The Chargers have two outstanding run blocking tackles, just need to continue to improve at pass blocking.

5. Ingram confirmed he has the skills to be an elite pass rusher. Agree with Weddle that he needs to continue to work on his game.

6. The secondary outperformed my expectations, albeit my expectations were pretty low. Addai was a solid find. Still one of the weaker areas on the team though and probably needs to be upgraded.

7. Te'o is still a ways away. Looked better the last 7 games or so, especially in pass coverage. But his tackles and angles aren't there yet imo.

8. L. Green took a big step this year, and needs to take another one next year.

9. WR crew needs another threat. Not sure what they're gonna do with Malcom or Alexander.

10. McCoy proved he can lead. The team bought in to his system and seemed to respond to him. I liked that he entrusted guys like Mathews and Green, who I thought were limited too much in years past.

11. Woodhead gives us lots of matchup advantages. Good compliment to Mathews. Still worried about Mathews longevity though. Having watched him going back to college, he's hurt pretty much every year. Nice to see him stay relatively healthy this year.

12. Rivers is back! (now with Bolo ties)

I'm sure I missed stuff. Also sure there's lots of negative stuff I could point out. But I'm in a thankful mood today for the Chargers season, and we've got a whole offseason to talk about all that.
    Last edited by Kyle; 01-12-2014, 09:01 PM.
    sigpic
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I think we saw what the coaches want to do on both offense and defense, I'm looking to the draft/FA to see TT bring in players that can fit into the schemes and make them more effective. I don't expect to see much different than we saw this year, just (hopefully) better talent/execution. I also think what we ended up up seeing these past few weeks is the tail end of that "3 year" rebuild, we're just that close. IMHO.

Comment

• Kyle
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
      I also think what we ended up up seeing these past few weeks is the tail end of that "3 year" rebuild, we're just that close. IMHO.
      I heard Bill Polian on NFL Radio saying we are "a year away from being in the Super Bowl." High praise.
      sigpic

Comment

• Guy Lombardo
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2013
        • Send PM

The fact that Telesco and McCoy were both rookies this year brings a lot of hope. They've both learned and grown a lot this year I'm sure. As long we don't have too many shakeups on the staff or any falling outs, this offseason should be pretty darn fruitful and exciting. I know I'm pretty excited to see the moves they make going forward.

Comment

• Boltdog
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Lunar Surface
          • Nutrition Consultant
          • Send PM

Agree that we exceeded expectations and represented well despite massive and accumulating injuries, creating an ongoing lack of depth on the roster. For a "transition" year, TT and McCoy did outstanding. Hopefully SD will once again become an attractive venue to potential FAs. Interested to see if and how Frank Reich makes his imprint on the offense going forward.

Where the team could improve:
          1. CBs
          2. OG (Guard play inconsistent and need more depth. Team shouldn't have to rely on a Troutman at this stage of the season.)
          3. RB (Productive all-purpose back behind Matthews who can grind out yards and catch enough to replace Ronnie Brown.)
          4. NT/DT (Need a big physical NT to plug the middle consistently and handle those teams who want to play it rough.)
          5. OT (Young backup to groom at LT)
          6. Resolve Strong Safety
          7. WR (Need another playmaker who can go deep and stretch the field.)
          Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

The big thing that I think we need to do on O is improve the goalline offense, and find a WR to help stretch the field.

On D we need to rush the QB better and more consistently, and find a DL who is more stout vs the inside run.

Comment

• KNSD
              Registered Charger Hater
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

RETURN GUY - Get one!

+1 to this team. Not very talented, yet punched way above their weight.
              Prediction:
              Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
              Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
              Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Boltx
                Dominate the day
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                I heard Bill Polian on NFL Radio saying we are "a year away from being in the Super Bowl." High praise.
                Sure hope so, tired of watching scrubs like Flacco and Eli hoisting trophies while our guys keep falling short.
                ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Guy Lombardo
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  The big thing that I think we need to do on O is improve the goalline offense, and find a WR to help stretch the field.

On D we need to rush the QB better and more consistently, and find a DL who is more stout vs the inside run.
                  Ok so you want WR, TE and FB addressed? What about Oline is there a player you want replaced?

Defense, since it looks like Freeny is coming back what moves would you like to see?

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

Agree with all points from the OP. Sure TT missed on a few guys specifically Cox, but I do feel we have a lot of answered questions in regards to the roster. I think there are clearly defined needs now that can be addressed. Last offseason there were just so many different issues and players we had no clue about. Some of them panned out, some didn't. Now TT has to address those issues and keep rebuilding the back end of this roster. This will be a crucial draft to our development. Equally important will be our FA moves. I prefer we bring in a significant amount of players vs a big signing. We just aren't deep at all and we need to improve our depth/talent. I would also like the team to maintain its cap flexibility that we will have next offseason.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

This team far exceeded my expectations, the playoff weeks were a bonus.

That said, this team is short on talent. Come on TT, now's your time to shine. The deadwood is gone, the cap situaltion is better, the future is bright.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Kyle, you make some very good points. For the first time since in years I have hope that the team is going in the right direction with our GM and coaching staff. The single biggest thing I took away is something I suspected but it need to be played out - that Rivers was not the issue with the offense the past few years.

Comment

Working...
                        X