• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

2014 Draft Do Over

Don Banks posted his 2014 draft do over. Although of course it is highly subjective, he has two chargers in the top four picks. KA #2 and Fluker (he of the desperation reach and will never play OT and should be moved to OG) at #4.

• BlazingBolt
    SLAM DUNK!
    • Jun 2013
    • East County San Diego
    • Bolt fanatic
    • Send PM

Yup, at this point it would be hard to argue the Chargers did not have the best draft.

Now lets start a bunch of Telesco worshipping pics and stuff so he can start screwing up just like In Bobby's we trust and the AJ is god stuff I saw plenty of early in their respective runs.
    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

Interesting. I love Fluker's upside but I figured him getting moved around to LT then back to RT then back to LT ruined his perception. To me he was game and gave it a go which is an attitude I love about the kid. He's just going to get better IMO.

Love Allen coming out of nowhere. Give him a full 16 games on a second year will be fun to watch. If we can get a complementary WR opposite him (Floyd, DX, other) he really is going to cause mismatches if they want to double team him. We definitely got a steal in Allen.

While Teo didn't look superb this year I think he improved over the year. Missing so much time really did stunt his practice and play time early but he seemed to be getting into the speed and being more reactive. Hopefully a strong offseason program and camp will get him to that next level of understanding the defense and becoming a playmaker.

I can only hope next year is this good for our draftees.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Two GOOD starters in the top 3 picks - again - would be sweet. Gonna be more difficult to do, of course, given our draft position. But for all the criticism that TT got from the faithful here - myself included - I think he deserves some props for having earned his keep in his rookie season.

Now, if he had only kept Atari Bigby! LOL!

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
          Two GOOD starters in the top 3 picks - again - would be sweet. Gonna be more difficult to do, of course, given our draft position.
          I'm not sure it will be that difficult, just because the talent levels between this years draft and last years are so different. There are actually skill players that deserve to be in the top 10, and a few 1st round quality QBs this year. Plus we still have enough holes in our roster that we can go BPA and be able to fill a spot. If TT approaches this draft just like he did last years I think we could get 4 players that will be starters or be impact backups (a solid #2 RB for example) out of this draft. Just a lot of talent coming out this year.

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

I'll be disappointed if we don't get three starters out of every draft. That should be the norm. If you want to build through the draft, you better fucking hit on your picks.

I'm not greedy asking for probowl players very season, but he has to sprinkle a few here and there.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Eric Fisher goes 32. Pretty telling.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                If TT approaches this draft just like he did last years I think we could get 4 players that will be starters or be impact backups (a solid #2 RB for example) out of this draft. Just a lot of talent coming out this year.
                Yup, what I'm thinking too.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                  Yup, at this point it would be hard to argue the Chargers did not have the best draft.

Now lets start a bunch of Telesco worshipping pics and stuff so he can start screwing up just like In Bobby's we trust and the AJ is god stuff I saw plenty of early in their respective runs.
                  AJ Smith received a lot of criticism early in his tenure. It's important that we stick with facts.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                    Two GOOD starters in the top 3 picks - again - would be sweet. Gonna be more difficult to do, of course, given our draft position. But for all the criticism that TT got from the faithful here - myself included - I think he deserves some props for having earned his keep in his rookie season.

Now, if he had only kept Atari Bigby! LOL!
                    Two starters per draft would be about the league average.
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Kiper:

San Diego Chargers
                      Round Pick Position Player College
                      (1) 11 T D.J. Fluker Alabama
                      (2) 38 LB Manti Te'o Notre Dame
                      (3) 76 WR Keenan Allen California
                      (5) 145 CB Steve Williams California
                      (6) 179 LB Tourek Williams Florida International
                      (7) 221 QB Brad Sorensen Southern Utah
                      Post-draft grade: B+

Summary: Don't say I didn't tell you about my offensive rookie of the year pick. My grades noted: "Keenan Allen wasn't a huge need, but he's got the tape of a first-rounder, so expect impact from him. He's got a lot of ability and is a couple years younger than many of the other top wideouts in this draft." A ton of catches later, he's a total steal for the Chargers. Fluker was really up-and-down and simply has to improve as a pass-blocker, but he certainly gave them reps. I thought Te'o was a steal at No. 38 overall, and while he was far more tentative than I expected, he should go into next season with the starting job and the hope of improving. Sixth-rounder Tourek Williams also got a lot of time. We'll see if Fluker and Te'o take the next step, but Allen is already there. Good draft so far.

New grade: A-

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                        Kiper:

San Diego Chargers
                        Round Pick Position Player College
                        (1) 11 T D.J. Fluker Alabama
                        (2) 38 LB Manti Te'o Notre Dame
                        (3) 76 WR Keenan Allen California
                        (5) 145 CB Steve Williams California
                        (6) 179 LB Tourek Williams Florida International
                        (7) 221 QB Brad Sorensen Southern Utah
                        Post-draft grade: B+

Summary: Don't say I didn't tell you about my offensive rookie of the year pick. My grades noted: "Keenan Allen wasn't a huge need, but he's got the tape of a first-rounder, so expect impact from him. He's got a lot of ability and is a couple years younger than many of the other top wideouts in this draft." A ton of catches later, he's a total steal for the Chargers. Fluker was really up-and-down and simply has to improve as a pass-blocker, but he certainly gave them reps. I thought Te'o was a steal at No. 38 overall, and while he was far more tentative than I expected, he should go into next season with the starting job and the hope of improving. Sixth-rounder Tourek Williams also got a lot of time. We'll see if Fluker and Te'o take the next step, but Allen is already there. Good draft so far.

New grade: A-
                        I have high hopes for Stevie Williams. His height was really the only reason why he dropped. If he turns into a solid contributor, this draft will be a slam dunk.

Comment

Working...
                        X