Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
    Ware isnt going anywhere

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

I'd rather not bring in more 30+ aged vets. It goes against what Telesco was trying to do by going young last year.

We have to continue to build with an eye to the future. Obviously you want players that can contribute this year, but ideally they are the types of players that are still developing and have a future with the team.

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Opera singer and web developer.
        • Send PM

Ware isnt going anywhere
        And on the infinitessimally minute chance he does, he's certainly not going to take a San Diego discount. He's either going to be in Dallas or somewhere with the cap space to sign him that can be a contender next season (such as Denver).
        Adipose

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
          Having all those guys healthy will definitely help, but none of them are really what you would call dominant pass rushers. If Freeney/Ingram stay healthy all season, they probably get about 16-18 sacks between them. Add in about 12 combined from the D line/backup OLB's. Then about 6-8 from Blitzes.

Reasonable scenario puts us at about 36-38 sacks which would make us about league average.

If we want to get into that elite range we not only need Liuget/Reyes to take the next step (that I expected from them this year), but we also need to acquire that elite outside speed rusher we lack.
          OK. Freeney and Ingram played a combined 7 out of a possible 32 regular season games and we had 35 team sacks. If those guys (or even just Ingram) are healthy--admittedly a big if--then we ought to do better, especially if Keiser and Williams improve. But as I have said, I still believe we need to place a priority on a pass-rushing LB in the draft.

You and I are in basically in agreement. I just think we're going to do better with healthy guys and improvement from guys we have on the roster. I don't see how we wouldn't if even just Ingram is healthy. Just points out to how limited our options were last year.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Like I said, he's not going anywhere. But even if he did, it wouldn't be to SD and I don't know how smart of a decision that would be for us at this point in time.

Comment

• thelightningwill
              Go Aztecs and Pads
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Why are we assuming Freeney and Ingram will be healthy next year? If we have a chance to get more and better defensive players, let's do it.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                Why are we assuming Freeney and Ingram will be healthy next year? If we have a chance to get more and better defensive players, let's do it.
                The two aren't mutually exclusive

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Freeney is only going to be around next year, even if he stays healthy. But like I said, if we want someone to is going to come in and sack the QB this year, he is the choice. I think if we keep him as a sub player, using JJ as the run down guys, then there is a decent chance of keeping him healthy. Freeney, like a lot of undersized pass rushers tend to get really banged up about every other year. 2 year ago in Indy, he was sorta healthy. this past season for us on IR, now healthy. Again, at his age, you have to watch his snaps and sub him so that he is not over used, but I think it can be done.

So, the other option is do we want to bite the bullet and not have a lot of pressure on the QB, then going with a rookie is fine. It means a season with very little pass rush, because right now Ingram, Reyes and Liuget are not consistent and are still developing. Williams might be a solid option in that senario, and we can of course draft one or more guys. But I think if you expect more then a few sacks out of Williams or a rookie, you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. We wouldn't be doing it for short term production, we would be doing it with an eye to the future.

I think Ingram, Liuget and Reyes are still developing. Next year I expect some improvement, but I really expect them to be firing full bore the season after. Not saying they will be struggle or anything, but really take their games to the next level by the end of this season or so, so that in 2 years they are ready to join the elite. If they all continue to develop and work, I don't think it is unreasonable.

If we don't keep Freeney, I am not sure we want to keep JJ either. Both are valuable with so many young players on the roster, beyond the production on the field. But if you are going to cash out and build for the future, go all in. Freeney and JJ are about $10 mill a season together, which is the low end of what a top every down pass rusher would be. So, together they are a single complete position. But if you don't get a complete position, then it is probably better off to save the money, although it will hurt our run D quite a bit. People seem to be in love with the idea of a NT to shore up our run D, but JJ was really the only OLB who set the corner on run downs consistently, and offenses just decided to run away from him much of the season. When teams ran at him, he stuffed the run, so losing him will hurt the run D pretty badly. Not to mention the influence that he has on younger guys.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                    Go Aztecs and Pads
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

The two aren't mutually exclusive
                    I didn't say Freeney and Ingram were dating.

Comment

• bonehead
                      Undrafted
                      • Jul 2013
                      • TBD
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                      I didn't say Freeney and Ingram were dating.

LOL...

Freeney: I can't quit you

Ingram: You complete me
                      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                      X