• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

I'm not sure we would have beat Den in the 2nd game this year if not for Scfries snagging a really bad snap, then booming a 40+ yard kick down inside the 5(?) while being rushed. A bad kick, fumble, or other turnover, I think Den scores quick and has all the momentum.

Comment

• Hard Charger
      Chargers fan since 1977!
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

You can't argue about Scifres skills, for sure. I wonder if Darren Bennett will make the cut sometime soon? I will never forget the hit he put on that Steeler's punt returner, in his his early years with the Chargers. Knocked his ass out cold with a beautiful clothesline hit. Dude came right up the middle and right at Bennett, thinking he would run right through him, boy was he ever mistaken. He probably would have been flagged for roughing the runner these days, for that hit. Darren had a knack for placing a kick and could put some serious hang-time and distance on a punt. I hated to see him go to Minny, but I guess we had go with the younger Scifres at the time, which worked out well for us too. I just wish we could have had two punters on the squad until he was fully done.

HC

Comment

• thelightningwill
        Go Aztecs and Pads
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard Charger View Post
        You can't argue about Scifres skills, for sure. I wonder if Darren Bennett will make the cut sometime soon? I will never forget the hit he put on that Steeler's punt returner, in his his early years with the Chargers. Knocked his ass out cold with a beautiful clothesline hit. Dude came right up the middle and right at Bennett, thinking he would run right through him, boy was he ever mistaken. He probably would have been flagged for roughing the runner these days, for that hit. Darren had a knack for placing a kick and could put some serious hang-time and distance on a punt. I hated to see him go to Minny, but I guess we had go with the younger Scifres at the time, which worked out well for us too. I just wish we could have had two punters on the squad until he was fully done.

HC
        Darren Bennett was not just a kicker; he was an ass kicker.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

I don't think most voters are going to vote for him, because he ONLY played for 11 years in the NFL (9 with us and 2 with Minn). They may qualify that a punter is probably going to be expected to have longer service. The thing that is BS is that since Bennett was already had a successful pro career in Australia, and basically played NFL football because he was too beat up to continue his 1st career. And he wasn't one of these wimpy US 2 sport athletes, he played a contact sport with no pads. Plus, 11 years is pretty good for any position.

He should also get extra consideration due to his technical improvements to the game. He invented a couple of techniques that are now becoming pretty standard, but no one in American football had ever done before.

But mostly punters fight the negative connotation that punting=failure. But name another position in football that can change field position like a punter can? No one else averages 40 yards per anything. And since guys like Bennett and Scfries have NET averages at or above 40, that only makes it more impressive (that and all the punts inside the 20).

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Bennett to Scifres is about as good as it gets for one position. Nice that we've had nearly 20 years of top notch production at that position. We also had Binn snapping for them most of that time. Amazing.

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Opera singer and web developer.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
              Bennett to Scifres is about as good as it gets for one position. Nice that we've had nearly 20 years of top notch production at that position. We also had Binn snapping for them most of that time. Amazing.
              Kind of like Montana to Young. We're the 49ers of punting!
              Adipose

Comment

Working...
              X