• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I knew this thread would become a disaster as soon as it was posted. He might be a player for the Chargers in a need position, and his announcement is not really a big deal to me, but is historic as he's the first to come out publicly. We know the Chargers org has been able to handle the press as far as controversial players go, so it wouldn't surprise me at all that he wouldn't be black-balled here just because he's gay. I don't know how his new locker room will treat him at first, but new precedents will be set

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

I understand why it's a story.

But I really don't care.

On to the next subject!
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I think he is making the announcement now because he is smart enough to know that it will not be a secret after the combine starts. Once the combine starts, the secret is out. It also is a good move because by getting out in front of it, it pretty much forces teams to ask him football questions during the interviews. He was going to get grilled about it one way or the other. The NFL teams and scouts pretty much knew, so this was going to come up, and he has to answer those questions. So, by doing it before hand, he gets it out of the way. But with the interest, if he had answered any questions, it would have come out, and it would have been a freak show.

He also is saving the NFL teams is a fair amount of liability, since they would have asked him, and I think it would probably have been illegal. You are only allowed to ask questions like that in a job interview if it has anything to do with how he would perform his job. The fact that coworkers might be uncomfortable is probably not grounds for that sort of questioning, making the questions grounds for discrimination. He provided it before he was asked, now no one has to worry about that. And now they are going to be forced to ask the usual battery of standard draft related questions.

I think it is a good move by him. Get the word out, give anyone a chance to think about it and plan ahead.

If he had waited until after the combine, he runs the risk that the Missouri pro day is a circus, and he probably doesn't want that. If nothing else, if he is thinking ahead, he may need a good performance to improve his stock, since he has some questions since he is a tweener. If he can go out and perform in Indy, great. If he can't he needs the home field advantage. And like I said, I think it comes out in Indy regardless of what he wants, so better to get it over with.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Mayock says 3-5th round... Rang says 5th round.

At 6-foot-2 and 255 pounds, Sam lacks prototype size to play defensive end, and might not be fluid enough to play linebacker, and drop into coverage. He’s a pass-rusher (who had 10.5 sacks last year), and that has value.

“He’s an explosive kid who’s much better going forward than he is going backward,’’ Mayock said. “His size would dictate he’s got to be a linebacker, but I don’t think his physical skill-set dictates that, and therein lies the rub. He’s got some ability coming off the edge and chasing a quarterback. However, I don’t think he has an ability to stand up and play linebacker.

“Depending on your scheme and what you’re looking for, he’s not an every-down play. The best case for me is he’s a four-team special teams player and a situational pass-rusher. It just depends on where you value that kind of guy.’’

Comment

• MakoShark
            Disgruntled
            • Jun 2013
            • North Alabama
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
            I knew this thread would become a disaster as soon as it was posted. He might be a player for the Chargers in a need position, and his announcement is not really a big deal to me, but is historic as he's the first to come out publicly. We know the Chargers org has been able to handle the press as far as controversial players go, so it wouldn't surprise me at all that he wouldn't be black-balled here just because he's gay. I don't know how his new locker room will treat him at first, but new precedents will be set
            Exactly why I said what I said. On this topic, it doesn't take much to get the pot stirred up. With the millions at stake, does a team want to risk a divided locker room? Some teams may feel their locker room could handle it, other may not want to bother or to take the chance. Its not Sam's fault, but it is a reality. If the talk in a locker room were to take the same path as this thread, or even just be close to this thread, its a distraction. And its the type of distraction with the potential to blow up.

On the flip side, it could also be the type of thing that pulls team mates together, which is how it turned out in the Mizzou locker room. Of course the winning helped in that regard too.
            sigpic

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              I knew this thread would become a disaster as soon as it was posted.
              Yeah I think you are overreacting. This thread is not a disaster. It's definitely NFL/football related...I did put it out there as an Off Topic discussion.

So far I think people have made their thoughts/opinions known without it turning into a shitstorm. I've seen worse on here.
              Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I don't think a possible 3rd rd'er is worthy of his own thread....gay or not.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Michael Sam, the first politically gay NFL player.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                    Yeah I think you are overreacting. This thread is not a disaster. It's definitely NFL/football related...I did put it out there as an Off Topic discussion.

So far I think people have made their thoughts/opinions known without it turning into a shitstorm. I've seen worse on here.
                    IMO, this thread is warranted. This guy would be the first ever draft hopeful to openly declare his sexual orientation prior to being drafted, so it's newsworthy.

In related news...

Comment

• Guy Lombardo
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2013
                      • Send PM

I've said my piece, I'm tired of PC garbage. They will make this guy out to be some hero, when in reality he just likes to screw dudes,which is fricking nasty. Still, I don't really care what people want to do to each other, if someone wants to bath is pig shit, I shouldn't have to listen to Bob Costas talk about as if this was some sort of extraordinary person, which wouldn't surprise me to see this head in that direction (not the pig shit). I'd probably feel different if someone was outed as being gay through no fault of their own. It would probably still be a circus but who knows. I just hope we don't draft him, cause I don't want read about it. Football is an escape for me.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I still think he is one of the better pass rushers in this years draft and I think he may fall because he is an OLB/DE tweener. If we can get a good player later in the draft, then I think it is a great way to add talent. Plus, as Mayock points out, if you just want him as a pass rusher, he is fine.

In case anyone noticed, our pass rush really stinks.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Guy Lombardo View Post
                          I've said my piece, I'm tired of PC garbage. They will make this guy out to be some hero, when in reality he just likes to screw dudes,which is fricking nasty. Still, I don't really care what people want to do to each other, if someone wants to bath is pig shit, I shouldn't have to listen to Bob Costas talk about as if this was some sort of extraordinary person, which wouldn't surprise me to see this head in that direction (not the pig shit). I'd probably feel different if someone was outed as being gay through no fault of their own. It would probably still be a circus but who knows. I just hope we don't draft him, cause I don't want read about it. Football is an escape for me.
                          In other news, your avatar on a predominantly (exclusively?) male message board could be seen by some as a declaration of your own preferences. Is it a political statement? Is it political even if it's meant to be ironic? This isn't the first time I've wondered about what might be behind it.

Comment

Working...
                          X