• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Anyone know if we are going after Alex Hall? The guy who finished just above Law in the CFL sack total. The guy was a FA and is considered a lock on trying to get a tryout with the NFL. The only other guy besides Hall or Law who got double digit sacks is on the wrong side of 30.

I still think the CFL guys represent the best quick improvement that there is in our pass rush. Rookies don't do much. There are no UFA who are worth what they will get. So that leaves the guys we have (not my first choice) or the CFL guys.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Anyone know if we are going after Alex Hall? The guy who finished just above Law in the CFL sack total. The guy was a FA and is considered a lock on trying to get a tryout with the NFL. The only other guy besides Hall or Law who got double digit sacks is on the wrong side of 30.

I still think the CFL guys represent the best quick improvement that there is in our pass rush. Rookies don't do much. There are no UFA who are worth what they will get. So that leaves the guys we have (not my first choice) or the CFL guys.
      By Aaron Wilson
      December 5, 2013 5:00 AM
      Related Stories

The Minnesota Vikings worked out Canadian Football League standout pass rusher Alex Hall, according to a league source.

The Sasketchewan Roughriders defensive end wasn't immediately signed to a contract. He was traded to Sasketchewan from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers this season. He was named an East Division All-Star.

A former Cleveland Browns seventh-round draft pick from St. Augustine's College, Hall has also played for the Philadelphia Eagles, Arizona Cardinals, and New York Giants.

The Vikings also worked out wide receivers Dontrelle Inman, Chris Matthews and Nick Moore and defensive tackle Ted Laurent.
      Hall was drafted in 2008 (is 29 in august). Not exactly a spring chicken in terms of the NFL. I prefer the much younger Law.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

I'm good with anyone who can get to a QB.
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

There are several other guys who got more then 10 sacks, but the rest are all on the wrong side of 30. Again, pass rushers are the prized commodity.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Even with law, signed i still would like to see a mid late round pick on a player like Tyler Starr, or even Sam.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
              Even with law, signed i still would like to see a mid late round pick on a player like Tyler Starr, or even Sam.
              Will just come down to who is available, but I like that TT is being a bit more proactive bringing in these types of players. He may get cut anyways, but he's better than a UDFA IMO. I certainly won't care if English or Keiser is cut for someone else that beats them out. Line em up and let them compete. Injuries could do the job for them anyways.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Down the road, Freeney, JJ, English, at a minimum will be gone, what does that leave us in two years? Same with WR...
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

We can probably have Keiser back, even if we cut him. If not there are lots of guys like him every year. Lots of college pass rushers who don't have the size or speed to be a pass rusher. Law is further along in his progress. He was a raw college DE learning to play OLB. Now he has played OLB some, he is developing as a pass rusher. He may be like Cameron Wake, in that he is not developed enough to be productive year 1, but few pass rushers are. He has a leg up on his development over a rookie.

Williams has a year in our system, so he is getting better. draft another mid or late round guy, give him a year in our system, and we may be OK next year. Ingram will be better. We could have depth.

Not all of them will work out, and not all of them will be that great, but since pass rushing a team activity, we will be better off in the long run.

English, JJ and Freeney are only 1 year guys. I don't think anyone expects any more. If we get more, great. But it takes time to develop pass rushers, and our pass rush and 3rd down D/pass D really sucks. Replacing Cox will help, but how good is any pass D that cannot pressure a QB? We have to have some pass rushers, and they fill the gap.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                    Down the road, Freeney, JJ, English, at a minimum will be gone, what does that leave us in two years? Same with WR...
                    We draft. All teams do it. Just like last year, it will be rough early going with new players learning on the job, but it happens. It speeds up the learning curve in fact. Ideally by next offseason Ingram, Liuget, and Reyes are coming off monster seasons and can make up for breaking in a new rookie at OLB. Our ILB's will also be seasoned. We should have a strong secondary (ok maybe I'm dreaming).

The point is, the defense should be further along than this year when we had so much turnover.

Comment

Working...
                    X