Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    The biggest issue is the oline. Last year I had questions about it. Would Gaither be the guy who was outstanding in those 5 games for us the previous year? Would Green be able to put together a full season at a level we saw from him the previous year? This year there is little to question. The line ain't very good. There is pretty much no upside we can hope for to bail us out even if Fluker can actually be a decent RT. We have to hope that putting together an o-line made up of mainly castoffs will be good enough. I don't think so myself. I've spent too many years "hoping" that we could get by with some glaring holes. I don't see anyway in hell this o-line is going to be good enough.

We have some good players sprinkled around on defense. If we lack talent in one area it would be at OLB. We have two, count 'em, two players that have experience and can be considered OLBers. One of them can't pressure the QB and the other hasn't established himself after 3 years in the league. Then we have two DEs, one a 6th round pick and the other a 33 year old player whose numbers last year were anything but impressive (much, much worse than the guy he is replacing), that will be counted on to produce this year. If you play the 3-4 the OLB is the single most important position in the lineup, and it is where we are the weakest. Along the D-line we have some talent but no depth. In fact, depth is an issue at just about every position in the defense save for SS, where we don't have a starter in the first place. We have to hope that we have no significant injuries on defense this year after the loss of Ingram. One more would be devastating. Two more would something from which we cannot recover.

To be honest, I think we are the most talented and deepest at the WR position. Unfortunately much of their success hinges on things outside of their control. Can an weak o-line not only open up a running game but provide protection for perhaps the most immobile QB in the league? Will Rivers pull out of the career death spiral he has been in over the last couple of seasons? I don't have a lot of faith in the first and I have to say that MM isn't saying anything new when he talks about Rivers "doing too much" when talking about his turnovers. Norv said the very same thing over the last couple of years here. Personally, I'm not sure that is something that can be fixed in Rivers without giving him an outstanding o-line. Personally, I am amazed at what little TT did to improve the o-line this offseason.
    You need to save yourself some typing. Cut this to a text document and paste it into every reply you make from here on out. Doesn't matter the context: Rivers, OLine, Te'o, depth, Butler. It's like a script from a Broadway play, celebrating its 25th Anniversary. The lines, the message, are exactly the same every time.

Me? Well, I'll repeat what *I've* been saying 1000 times: This is a 6-win team. I think Telesco did a 'decent' job in this first off-season, given the circumstances, the money he had to play with (whatever that was), the way the draft played out, etc. A solid 'B' effort. This is going to be the most stress-free season in many years; I have chosen to align my expectations with exactly what I expected: A multi-year rebuilding plan, of which this is Year #1.

I missed your posts during your most recent time out. Welcome back.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
      You need to save yourself some typing. Cut this to a text document and paste it into every reply you make from here on out. Doesn't matter the context: Rivers, OLine, Te'o, depth, Butler. It's like a script from a Broadway play, celebrating its 25th Anniversary. The lines, the message, are exactly the same every time.

Me? Well, I'll repeat what *I've* been saying 1000 times: This is a 6-win team. I think Telesco did a 'decent' job in this first off-season, given the circumstances, the money he had to play with (whatever that was), the way the draft played out, etc. A solid 'B' effort. This is going to be the most stress-free season in many years; I have chosen to align my expectations with exactly what I expected: A multi-year rebuilding plan, of which this is Year #1.

I missed your posts during your most recent time out. Welcome back.
      what do you mean DID in past tense like it is a finished product? This is still the offseason. The player moves and roster tweaking will be ongoing as with any work in progress.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
        what do you mean DID in past tense like it is a finished product? This is still the offseason. The player moves and roster tweaking will be ongoing as with any work in progress.
        Barring another Ingram-like injury to another one of our starters - which I sure hope doesn't happen - I'm not expecting anything more than exactly what you said: tweaks. Signing a street free agent to play ST; adding a last-minute vet for the OL (for example) are not what I would consider earth-shattering or season-changing moves. Are you expecting a McCardel-type trade? I suppose it could happen; I just don't think it will. Besides, McCardell was signed during the season, as was Chambers (I believe).

We're less than 2 months from the start of the season, TC starts in 2-3 weeks. There isn't much time - or many/any quality players - left for Telesco to make a significant difference in the final 53. It's primarily up to the coaches and rookies to shape the roster now. TT has done his job and brought in the bodies; he's pretty much finished with his off-season effort.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

There's a chance also that the Bolt's trade older players for picks and weaken the team.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• thelightningwill
            Go Aztecs and Pads
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

The most important position on our defense is nose tackle.

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Barring another Ingram-like injury to another one of our starters - which I sure hope doesn't happen - I'm not expecting anything more than exactly what you said: tweaks. Signing a street free agent to play ST; adding a last-minute vet for the OL (for example) are not what I would consider earth-shattering or season-changing moves. Are you expecting a McCardel-type trade? I suppose it could happen; I just don't think it will. Besides, McCardell was signed during the season, as was Chambers (I believe).

We're less than 2 months from the start of the season, TC starts in 2-3 weeks. There isn't much time - or many/any quality players - left for Telesco to make a significant difference in the final 53. It's primarily up to the coaches and rookies to shape the roster now. TT has done his job and brought in the bodies; he's pretty much finished with his off-season effort.
              I'm not expecting a big trade or adding any "name" players that the media or FF players would pee their pants over. I do expect sequential upgrades at weak spots and adding depth as rosters are cut down 2 times to get to 53. There may also be a surprise player or 2 claimed once the season is actually underway and some Practice Squad poaching if its a guy they think can help. Indy fans were screaming this time last year because they had no Manning, OL, RBs, WRs to speak of along with an always thin defense and new HC to boot. Then they drafted Luck and started filling in pieces with UDFAs, cheap FAs, castoffs and roster cuts from other teams all the way into season to get the best 53 they could. It worked out well for them, and Telesco was a part of that.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

TC starts in 2-3 weeks.
                TC starts in 5 days!

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Training Camp Practice Schedule Open to Public

Mike McCoy promised the players an intense camp and has encouraged the fans to come out and see for themselves. Parking and admission to all training camp practices at Chargers Park are FREE.
                  DATE PRACTICE TIME
                  July 26 3-5 p.m. Chargers Park
                  July 27 9:30-11:30 a.m. Chargers Park
                  July 28 3-5 p.m. - Chargers Instameet Chargers Park
                  July 31 3-5 p.m. - Open to invited Season Ticket Holders only Chargers Park
                  Aug. 1 9:30-11:30 a.m. Chargers Park
                  Aug. 2 3-5 p.m. - Open to invited Season Ticket Holders only Chargers Park
                  Aug. 3 10:55-12:50 p.m. - FanFest presented by Bud Light
                  Qualcomm Stadium
                  Aug. 5 3-5 p.m. Chargers Park
                  Aug. 10 9:30-11:30 Chargers Park
                  Aug. 12 3-5 p.m. Chargers Park
                  Aug. 17 9:30-11:30 a.m. Chargers Park
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    TC starts in 5 days!
                    Wow! The summer is just flyin' by. Thanks, rich.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Wow! The summer is just flyin' by. Thanks, rich.
                      And the girls all get another year younger...
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Did you buy your zoomies to check them out?
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                        X