• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Jay Gruden delivers summer's top 'Hard Knocks' rant

Jay Gruden had himself a transcendent episode of "Hard Knocks" on Tuesday night.

It started in the gymnasium, where the Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator answered James Harrison's challenge by stroking a 3-point jumper from the deep corner. Onions.

But that was just a prelude to Gruden's true star moment. Upset following a particularly sloppy practice, Gruden lit into his players with the best coaching rant of the season. It might have been the best blow-up since Rex Ryan's iconic "G-D snack" speech in 2010.

Here's Gruden's epic rant, in full:

"Some of the s--- that happened yesterday you wouldn't expect on the first day of rookie OTAs. We had three dropped snaps and a couple things that were my fault. That is Mickey Mouse horse---- football right there and we all had our hand in it. Everybody had their hand in it and it can't happen for us to be as good as we want to be. Ever.

"I can handle a drop every now and then, I can handle a guy beating you with a good pass rush move. I can handle certain things but I can't handle mental f---ups time and time again. Andy's been a quarterback here for three f------ years and hasn't had one dropped snap. Not one. We had three in one day!

"Concentration, poise. You gotta have it on every snap in this game otherwise you're going to get your ass beat time and time again. You're going to be 18th ranked in offense. You're going to be 9-7 or 8-8 and you're going to be f-----' watching the playoffs at home every year. Yesterday we took a major step backwards and now today we gotta take two steps forward.

"You gotta have great attention to detail, not just on Sundays. On Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesday, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. If you want to mull around at .500 f-----' then come out here and f--- around and f--- up. But if you want to be great, then you have to set your standards high and come out and go after it every f-----' day."

Special thanks to NFL.com programming coordinator Patrick Crawley for reminding us of Gruden's gnarly pep talk. An egregious oversight in our weekly "Hard Knocks" recap that has since been amended.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Anyone afraid that Hard Knocks would be distracting could be dissuaded by looking at his season's view. It actually makes the Bengals look somewhat professional. Yeah, its not the comedy show like the Jets. Gruden and Zimmer are a hell of a lot more profane as Marvin Lewis, but those three guys are straight shooters.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Straight shooters logo:

McCoy is a Liar logo:

In before page 10
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Hard Knocks cameras would love Rivers. Dude talks endlessly.

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

After Thursday's final preseason game, Chargers head coach Mike McCoy told his players to take the weekend off for rest.
            Cornerback Derek Cox took an hour of that to clear his mind … in the boxing ring.
            "It's a hobby for me," Cox said. "To get that workout, just to keep things in motion. Two days off, it's a long time. I wanted to stay active and get that cardio in as well."
            Still, training camp is grueling, and the break between the last preseason game and the regular season is a welcome one. While it's typical for players to either fully rest or do some light conditioning, Cox instead sparred for an hour inside a San Diego boxing gym.
            The workout complements his training on the football field, he said.
            "There's footwork involved in it, and the use of your hands," Cox said. "And cardio. Those three-minute rounds, with a minute off to recover is great preparation for coming out here [practice.] Also, the breathing mechanics that you use in boxing, that helps too."
            "It's a long season and your conditioning is a huge contributor to being successful at what you do."
            But it's the mental relief that Cox enjoys most.
            "It's a way to decompress, switch up gears," he said. "It's a beat down, but I'm refreshed after I'm done."
            ROYAL PRACTICING
            Wide receiver Eddie Royal practiced Monday for the first time since suffering a bruised lung two weeks ago.
            Royal said he's ready to play in the season opener Monday night against the Houston Texans.
            "That's the plan," Royal said Monday after practice. "Hopefully the coaches feel the same way, but I'll leave it up to them."
            Royal said Monday "felt like a normal day at practice" and that Chargers coaches didn't hold him back at all.
            "They just let me get out there and go," he said. "I felt great. I've been conditioning a lot and making sure I'd be okay for today. Today is the big test and I hope we passed. I felt like I did."
            Defensive end Corey Liuget also practiced Monday for the first time since injuring his shoulder in the second preseason game. Linebacker Manti Te'o (foot sprain) did not practice.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/spor...#ixzz2dn3oJFzJ

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Bird is the word, likely will be for a while.

Comment

• Den60
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Grinners View Post
                Shhhhhhhhhh, don't let Den know he will beat you up!
                I am sure Fluker will be in the probowl this year.

Comment

• Den60
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                  And "we" wanted him in the second as a starter. Disaster.

I'm starting to think that if Dunlop plays well this year, we won't take an OLT in the 1st next year, maybe we get one in the second and train him.
                  You might want to wait before anointing him. Just sayin'...

Comment

Working...
                  X